Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 07:47 AM
MTVP49
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All are questions that I would like answers to as well. My drop-dead order date is looming.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:27 PM
burgerdog
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

• I've seen a few posts where Macan owners suffered a 2nd incident of timing cover leaks after undergoing a previous warranty repair. Are these isolated incidents or is this a situation where failure will possibly occur again after a certain amount of age and mileage"
This is key and something that I wonder about since I've had mine fixed.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:10 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 181 Posts

I was ready to buy a 1 owner, 2016 with <50k miles on it but not being CPO is scaring me now. Only thing fixed under warranty so far has been the transfer case.
I read through most of this thread and doesn't seem like we can confidently say the issue won't pop up again for a once repaired car.
I guess back to finding CPO cars.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:33 AM
TheMechanic
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by misterioso
  • I've seen a few posts where Macan owners suffered a 2nd incident of timing cover leaks after undergoing a previous warranty repair. Are these isolated incidents or is this a situation where failure will possibly occur again after a certain amount of age and mileage"

Links?

This is the longest thread about the issue and no single user has reported a 2nd incident after a warranty fix.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:48 AM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMechanic

Links?

This is the longest thread about the issue and no single user has reported a 2nd incident after a warranty fix.
I think I heard ONE single case somewhere, which the gasket is not properly seal so the car has to go back to redo the repair again.
Other than that, the factory warrantied engine out repair is bulletproof.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:32 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

CPO would bring piece of mind.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:00 AM
TracyQ
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Macan S 2016 oil leak

First I want to thank everyone for posting. I wouldn’t have been able to get my transfer case fixed on my Macan S under warranty without them. My dealer said I was crazy that my transmission was fine. Now my question is, has anyone had an oil leak occur after getting the fuel pump recall done on their Macan? I was told by my dealership that their techs didn’t know how to do it and had to go to a class in Germany. First red flag right. Now at 25k miles, they are telling me in order to fix it the price will be $8700 and my car is six years old so it’s not under warranty. I’ve been reading that the fuel pump mounts to the timing case cover is this correct. And if so could this be the cause of my oil leak?
The following users liked this post:
Viphoto (08-15-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 11:23 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by TracyQ
First I want to thank everyone for posting. I wouldn’t have been able to get my transfer case fixed on my Macan S under warranty without them. My dealer said I was crazy that my transmission was fine. Now my question is, has anyone had an oil leak occur after getting the fuel pump recall done on their Macan? I was told by my dealership that their techs didn’t know how to do it and had to go to a class in Germany. First red flag right. Now at 25k miles, they are telling me in order to fix it the price will be $8700 and my car is six years old so it’s not under warranty. I’ve been reading that the fuel pump mounts to the timing case cover is this correct. And if so could this be the cause of my oil leak?
AFAIK the Fuel Pump Fix was a big piece of Flex Tape(*) and installed quickly so hard to imagine that it caused a chain cover leak. The chain covers don’t require an assistance to leak.

The bottom of our Macan’s motor is just as dirty and oily this year as it was the last two(?) years after the cover fix. It appears to not have sprung a new leak (**).Don’t expect a tech loosing money on warranty reimbursement to clean.

My tech used a loctite gasket sealer. Something in the 5000 series. 5900? 5700? It’s black. Seems to work.

(*) Maybe a very special piece of Flex Tape… but that’s the idea.
(**) But the transfer case replaced at the same time is acting up.
The following users liked this post:
TracyQ (02-28-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 09:57 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by smohr33
Mine was in for the repair a couple weeks ago, multiple broken bolts. Came back to me with a vibration at idle and various rpms while driving. Waiting to hear from a regional rep because the dealer insists its normal. But I digress...

The main point that may be of interest to those reading this thread - in my conversations with the service manager, I asked what the difference between the old bolts and new bolts is. His reply: "As far as we know, nothing. It's possible they made a change, as Porsche engineers don't like to admit they made mistakes, but there has been no communication to us that the bolt has changed."

So I consequently asked "so these bolts could break all over again". His reply was YES.
Why aren't people replacing these bolts with steel ??? I figure the dealers won't due to stubborn Porsche policy, but Indies should and maybe a dealer might if the customer insisted. Or at least insist Porsche warranty the replacement bolts for an extended warranty period or demonstrate why the replacements are a true fix to the root cause of the problem.

Was looking for a used Macan S 2018 but I'm glad I read this post as that is out of the question now.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:11 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

I contacted my SA at the Porsche dealer I use for my service and inquired about the cost of the new timing cover fix approach. She said;Parts and labor is approx. $1250-1350+tax for the replacement bolts/hardware needed.
Old 03-18-2022, 02:36 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
I contacted my SA at the Porsche dealer I use for my service and inquired about the cost of the new timing cover fix approach. She said;Parts and labor is approx. $1250-1350+tax for the replacement bolts/hardware needed.
are you sure she didn't give you the quote for the I4 model?
Old 03-18-2022, 07:51 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Faust T.
are you sure she didn't give you the quote for the I4 model?
Yes.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:57 AM
loptk
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is leaking again.

It was leaking at around 20,000 miles 4 years ago and was repaired under warranty. Now at 32,000 miles, during an oil change it was discovered that it is close to dripping now as my car was giving a warning that the oil is pretty much depleted, so something was off. The car is out of warranty and the repair would cost me close to $3,000. What do you guys think? I don't think Porsche would cover this at this point. What a crappy job that they did and poor quality overall.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:05 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 907 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by loptk
Mine is leaking again.

It was leaking at around 20,000 miles 4 years ago and was repaired under warranty. Now at 32,000 miles, during an oil change it was discovered that it is close to dripping now as my car was giving a warning that the oil is pretty much depleted, so something was off. The car is out of warranty and the repair would cost me close to $3,000. What do you guys think? I don't think Porsche would cover this at this point. What a crappy job that they did and poor quality overall.
The dealer who performed the repair should have a stated warranty on their labor and parts.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:05 PM
loptk
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks - 1 year or 12,000 miles so.... ;P

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)