Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 07:31 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 575 Posts

Have a 2017 GTS with 25K miles. Changing oil over the weekend saw a little weeping and oil on the driver's side that was new since the last time I changed oil last fall. Thought I was going to be lucky... not. Kind of used to this- had to have rod bearings replaced on previous E46 M3 under warranty and rod bolts on my 996.2 GT3. Oh well.

Going to Porsche of Chandler on Thursday- guess the wife will have a new "base" Macan loaner for a while...

Talking to a friend this AM with a Turbo- he had it done as well. Didn't know it affected that engine as well.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:49 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

Mine was in for the repair a couple weeks ago, multiple broken bolts. Came back to me with a vibration at idle and various rpms while driving. Waiting to hear from a regional rep because the dealer insists its normal. But I digress...

The main point that may be of interest to those reading this thread - in my conversations with the service manager, I asked what the difference between the old bolts and new bolts is. His reply: "As far as we know, nothing. It's possible they made a change, as Porsche engineers don't like to admit they made mistakes, but there has been no communication to us that the bolt has changed."

So I consequently asked "so these bolts could break all over again". His reply was YES.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:04 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

I swear every other car here in Scottsdale is a Macan... even if only 20% need the fix they must be keeping their service departments VERY busy just fixing these things!!!!
Old 02-26-2020, 11:24 AM
smohr33
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
I swear every other car here in Scottsdale is a Macan... even if only 20% need the fix they must be keeping their service departments VERY busy just fixing these things!!!!
According to my dealer they do them like clockwork, took three days for mine and there were a couple others in the shop at the same time.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:41 AM
gruppe75
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, I bought a CPO'ed 2017 Macan S a year and a half ago ,from the dealer, with 8500 miles and believe they knowingly sold it with the timing chain cover leak. Fast forward one year 3125 miles later, my indy mentioned the leak upon his inspection. Back to the dealer and was told the leak was not dripping enough for them to do the warranty repair. Now that the 2019/2020 comes with a different engine I decided to trade for a 2019, and the oil leak is now their problem.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:31 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

Sorry to read about this. More sorry that the engine needs to be pulled. That alone makes me believe Porsche didn't do this on purpose. I changed the oil/filter in mine yesterday. It's a smidge over 25,000 miles. Eight quarts, perfect level. I pulled out a really good flashlight, a clean door rug, got on my bad back, and wormed my way underneath. I looked very hard for any leakage from anywhere. So far, there are none. But, we all know that can change by the next 5,000 mile oil/filter change.

Next change, I get to install a new set of plugs AND for preventative maintenance, have the TC fluid changed.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:58 PM
TD Pcar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add another one to the list. Our 2017 Macan S has 48,900 miles, wife got a low oil light driving to Houston earlier this week. Thought that was odd as the oil level barely drops between oil changes. After she got home, took a good look underneath and oil was soaked into the vents on the passenger side of the lower engine cover, and the covers on both sides of the tranny, directly under the exhaust piping. Then looked around the engine and lower radiator hose was shiny with oil on the passenger side. After starting the engine, witnessed some active drips onto the hose from the timing chain cover gasket. . thinking back, I smelled some burning smell from the Macan but figured the wife was just getting on the brakes hard surviving San Antonio traffic madness. Dealer getting us in on the 16th - lucky it was found in warranty. Was totally dry at the last oil change/PDK fluid change at our Indie, I usually double check that the covers get put back on right...I guess the silver lining is the oil change due in 1000 miles will be part of the repair.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:22 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Amazing it can happen that quickly. And, has Porsche yet to suggest owners check their oil levels more frequently?
Old 03-06-2020, 05:48 PM
TD Pcar
Advanced

When the Macan was my DD, I used to check oil level probably once a month on the MFD and it barely moved. If the issue is cracked/split aluminum bolts then I guess as soon as the holding power of the bolt is lost its gonna leak pretty quickly. Kind of a bummer because our Macan had only one minor issue with the O2 blower, otherwise a solid vehicle. Still my favorite SUV on the market.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:54 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Same here. I notice you're in Texas.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:47 PM
dave-t
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Add my 2016 Macan S to the list with 28K miles, the cars warranty ran out January 21st of 2020. The truck has been in for service prior for a oil change. Service advisor said that they will do a courtesy repair for $500. I was told that if I was to pay out of pocket it would have cost $6,000 (Porsche Of Arlington in Norther VA.). I had brought the truck in for front brakes and rotors. I was told that the repair will be finished on Wednesday with today being Monday.

Thanks Dave
Old 04-02-2020, 09:32 AM
Joe Batt
2nd Gear

2017 Macan GTS 33,000km (21,000miles) just back from service and the timing oil leak found and fixed. Luckily under warranty or a $4600 bill !
Old 04-02-2020, 07:32 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

I'd love to know the actual percentage of cars that need this fix... sounds worse than the old chain tensioner issues us old timers remember, except that one was a little more catastrophic when it happened!!

Ours is back from the fix (and fuel recall fix though I actually didn't get a notice- just heard about here and asked them to fix it when it was there) and running great...
Old 04-30-2020, 09:26 AM
luvacatfight
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
I'd love to know the actual percentage of cars that need this fix... sounds worse than the old chain tensioner issues us old timers remember, except that one was a little more catastrophic when it happened!!

Ours is back from the fix (and fuel recall fix though I actually didn't get a notice- just heard about here and asked them to fix it when it was there) and running great...
Just back after repair under CPO Warranty.

By Motorwerks Barrington. In Barrington, IL. Expertly done!

2015 Macan Turbo - 81,000 miles.

Thank goodness for the CPO Warranty!
The following users liked this post:
OMTarga4S (08-22-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 11:40 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

With all this talk of warranties in this thread, just thought I’d mention I received and email yesterday from Porsche USA saying that due to potential difficulties getting service during COVID, they’ve extended my factory warranty by 3 months. And the 3 month extension also applies to my CPO (which hasn’t even started yet). Pretty cool 😎

So you may want to be on the lookout for this. Just to clarify, this was from Porsche US headquarters, not my dealer.
The following users liked this post:
PCARNTHZST (04-30-2020)

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)