Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 10:48 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

So I got a Turbo, working on building a warranty list, looks to have the timing cover leak and a RS valve cover leak.

My dealership was chronically out of loaners prior to Covid I can't wait to hear what the lead time on getting in with a loaner now is going to be. I should probably go ahead and book it now so maybe I'll get in just about the time the 2 years of CPO expire. Haha!
Old 04-21-2021, 11:10 PM
shumi_9
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,
in the process of purchasing a 2018 Macan GTS. Asked the dealer to take some pictures....is this something I should worry about? The dealer calls it "normal seepage".

Old 04-21-2021, 11:15 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by shumi_9
Guys,
in the process of purchasing a 2018 Macan GTS. Asked the dealer to take some pictures....is this something I should worry about? The dealer calls it "normal seepage".

I would request an independent PPI myself. This certainly triggers caution.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:20 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

Guys,
"normal seepage" is stealership bullcrap. No such thing as normal when it's down to getting on the pulleys. "Acceptable" would be a slight amount of dampness around the gaskets. I still wouldn't call it normal either.
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (01-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2021, 08:37 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Guys,
I'm semi-fluent in dealership jive. I think that most likely translates to "We're not fixing that on our dime. We'll very likely fix it under factory or CPO warranty but, we can't acknowledge there is a problem at this point or we have to pay to fix it."
The following 2 users liked this post by hotrod2448:
Class5Kayaker (06-24-2021), JC Lacayo (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 09:16 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

Not normal seepage. That's BS. They want you to buy it. Then repair it with CPO/warranty (spot on hotrod). While you are out of a vehicle (maybe have a loaner).
Old 04-24-2021, 10:36 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Posting here on this sticky as well as I think it may help and reach more members:

So I just picked up my '18 GTS from a local dealer after having this job done. I was told that they now also separate transmission from engine when it comes out so rear seal is changed as well. Seems likely since looking at post #10 above, it looks like transmission is separated there too, but that was already a year ago. Was told that refrigerant and coolant changed too as part of this. Happy about the coolant as it means I don't have to get that flushed again for a while, and the refrigerant is renewed. I asked if oil needed changing as part of this (since I just did it) and service manager said no, but on the invoice it shows oil drain plug, oil pan, and oil filter were replaced. Ironically there's no mention of refrigerant or coolant liquid, or oil for that matter, but the parts that were replaced per the invoice imply all this had to be changed. Invoice also indicates 1 liter of A/T fluid so I guess they topped up the PDK fluid (I just changed it myself prior to this service so now I'm sure the level is correct . In addition all kinds of gaskets and seals around timing cover, oil cooler/lines, pump, A/C show being replaced. Driveshaft and exhaust gaskets show as being changed as well as a drive belt tensioner and pulley. Once job was completed alignment was performed.
When I asked about the aluminum bolts that were at the source of the problem, service manager said they were changed with aluminum bolts as well (vs steel or other).

I am pleased to have had this done as I feel the engine is now in better 'shape' than when it left the factory. I am over 40k miles, so this I believe added more life to it from a longevity point of view (seals, bolts, gaskets, etc.). With continued regular maintenance it should go as almost from new now, and I believe it will be a selling point in the future.

By the way, as I was researching the parts listed on the invoice online I happened on this bulletin which is a bit dated but definitely shows which cars/engines are impacted by this issue, the nature of the problem with a few pics, and the repair procedure. It surprises me to some degree this is not the subject of a recall, but perhaps it doesn't make that category as there are no 'safety' or catastrophic consequences issues(?):

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...68745-0001.pdf

One almost has to think that if it's a Porsche, even today oil leaks are something an owner will have to expect!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
MC-10168745-0001 (2).pdf (788.1 KB, 173 views)
Old 04-30-2021, 06:06 PM
doublebmw
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2017 GTS just came back from 5 shop days at the dealer for this issue. Noticed the problem a couple of weeks ago at ~22K miles when making a pre-warranty expiration inspection. Lucky I found it,as warranty expires in 3 weeks!

At least I got new coolant and a gratis oil and filter change. Dealer paperwork indicated a repair cost of $9238. If this happened out of warranty and I got stuck with the bill, I would be livid.This is a known, endemic problem and Porsche should assist anyone afflicted with this known manufacturing defect.

Old 05-13-2021, 04:05 PM
Bob Pierson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak - 3rd time! PISSED

I have a 2017 Macan GTS purchased new in late 2016, After the first 25,000 miles the selling dealership told me i had an oil leak from the timing cover, out went the engine and they fixed the leak. At 49,000 miles i thought i better bring it in and make sure nothing wrong that might need fixing under warranty with only a thousand miles left, also requested an oil change. I get a call from the dealership telling me there's an oil leak from the timing cover and in addition i need a new transfer case! They pulled the engine again "fixed" the leak and replaced the transfer case - of course no-charge under warranty. I also got in the mail an extended warranty for 7 years on the transfer case directly from Porsche.

Okay moving ahead to today, out of warranty, I've got 55,500 miles on the Macan GTS and i discover i have an oil leak from the timing cover (3rd time now)! Called dealer, left VM for service advisor and weve been playing VM tag, but were setting up an appointment to get the car in. My question is; do you think they will (or Porsche) pick up the cost of repair since this is the 3rd time and they so called "fixed it" 5,500 miles ago, and the vehicle is now out of warranty?
Old 05-13-2021, 06:15 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

^ since this is a known issue, my guess is yes.
Bob Pierson (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 06:38 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Pierson
I have a 2017 Macan GTS purchased new in late 2016, After the first 25,000 miles the selling dealership told me i had an oil leak from the timing cover, out went the engine and they fixed the leak. At 49,000 miles i thought i better bring it in and make sure nothing wrong that might need fixing under warranty with only a thousand miles left, also requested an oil change. I get a call from the dealership telling me there's an oil leak from the timing cover and in addition i need a new transfer case! They pulled the engine again "fixed" the leak and replaced the transfer case - of course no-charge under warranty. I also got in the mail an extended warranty for 7 years on the transfer case directly from Porsche.

Okay moving ahead to today, out of warranty, I've got 55,500 miles on the Macan GTS and i discover i have an oil leak from the timing cover (3rd time now)! Called dealer, left VM for service advisor and weve been playing VM tag, but were setting up an appointment to get the car in. My question is; do you think they will (or Porsche) pick up the cost of repair since this is the 3rd time and they so called "fixed it" 5,500 miles ago, and the vehicle is now out of warranty?
Most dealers will warranty their labor for one year. Even if it's past one year they should goodwill most if not all of it. Only way to know for sure is to talk with your dealer. And this is why I like being able to text and email my service advisor. Everything is in writing and no phone tag.
The following 2 users liked this post by rasetsu:
2021Macan (05-18-2021), Bob Pierson (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 06:43 PM
wwahl
Pro

Originally Posted by Bob Pierson

You would think with all this practice they would get the repair perfect.
Bob Pierson (05-13-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 10:57 PM
2021Macan
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
You would think with all this practice they would get the repair perfect.
You would also think Porsche would make the necessary changes to the leaky part(s), especially since it's costing them a fortune.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:00 PM
wwahl
Pro

Originally Posted by 2021Macan
You would also think Porsche would make the necessary changes to the leaky part(s), especially since it's costing them a fortune.
They did by replacing the engine with an Audi one.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:12 PM
2021Macan
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
They did by replacing the engine with an Audi one.
So you're saying the only way Porsche could have eliminated the leaky engine parts was to replace it with a different engine?

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)