Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 06:26 PM
Brian.H
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing cover leak 2016 Macan s

My Macan 2016 S runs GREAT.... It had timing cover "fixed" by one Porsche dealer in CA., before I bought it ... We found it started leaking again 1-2 years later ...and has been leaking ever so lightly for 4 years. It's NOT the bolts, it's the timing cover... So the FIX is $9,000...
NO oil leaks on garage floor... Never have had to add oil.... Porsche dealer said it's unlikely the leak will get worse as "lots of Porsches have small leaks" I may want to move up to 2023 GTS... but I don't want to saddle a new person w a car that will destroy their garage floor.
ANY THOUGHTS ??

Old 01-13-2023, 06:54 PM
w2ge
AutoX

The bolts are the reason the timing cover leaks. But,. porsche mechanic on the QT told me to do nothing, its such a tiny weep he said don’t bother getting it fixed, I did however have them do the two timing cover top bolt repair.

if its not weeping on floor now are you worried that in the future it may?

GTS is sweet, and I wouldn’t say no to one, but on youtube a few S vs GTS comparisons and they could not feel the difference.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:08 PM
Brian.H
2nd Gear

I'm off to youTUBE.. I did see a Macan S vs Macan turbo for a 2020 comparison and they said the difference was minor ... hmmmm
Said Porsche has great marketing... ??
I'm betting the last combustion engine Macan GTS w 434hp will be a collector car... I think it will hold it's value... maybe because the engine noise (kidding) .
Any Thoughts ?
Old 01-13-2023, 10:56 PM
w2ge
AutoX

I dunno… Macans do not hold value anything like 911, 718. Could a certain model many years from now get some interest… possibly, but I would never buy a Macan, Cayenne, Panamera, Taycan expecting it to go up in value. Many, many years from now…maybe? Right now give me GT3 Touring, a 718 Spyder and then you got a good chance.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:19 PM
Roberto 12345
1st Gear

Default Hi how are you doing I’m trying to do this job myself I was wondering if you torque

Originally Posted by joe_ali
Hello everyone! just wanted to share my experience here. I'm an Audi guy but this is my second Porsche. It is a 2015 Macan Turbo, purchased with 91,365 miles. I dont know much about its history but based on the Carfax it shows a bunch of service records at Porsche of Tysons Corner in VA. Last service was done there at 90,042. I knew with these many miles a lot of maintenance items will have to be addressed, but i immediately noticed the oil leak coming from the timing cover, specifically the drivers side. also noticed 6 snapped bolts all around. I decided to tackle the job myself. It looked to me that dropping the engine down would be an easier option given the fact they have all the harnesses/hoses designed in a way where they can be disconnected easily, but i decided to take apart the front end and do it from there since i'm working on it by myself. What surprised me is that the spark plugs/belt and tensioner and all other maintenance items INCLUDING OIL/filter looked to be past due even though the Carfax showed service at Porsche every 5-10k miles. I took a few pictures while working on it to post here and as of right now I am waiting on the oil cooler seals that are on order before i can finish putting it back together. I also wanted to note that i replaced all the bolts and the new ones were exactly identical to the old ones, so I don't think Porsche changed them, unless the strength of the aluminum used has been changed and that would be hard to detect by the eye. In my opinion it wasn't that hard or complicated, but I also like to tackle difficult jobs like these! I posted this for anyone who might be thinking of doing it themselves but are still not sure due to everyone saying engine has to be dropped. IT DOES NOT have to be dropped and the hardest part I would say was carrying the radiator/condenser/support alone and moving the harness that goes from the right side of the engine to the alternator. I had to remove the alternator in order to move it to where I can pull the timing cover out. I also had to remove the A/C compressor so i can clean up all the oil that was in there. Took me about 10 hours total stretched over 3 days and tomorrow I hope to have it back running again!

hi how are you doing I was wondering if you can share the torque specs for timing cover and crankshaft bolt im in the middle of trying to do this my self if you can help I will really appreciate you thank you
Old 01-30-2023, 02:18 PM
sddynamix
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Does anyone have the part numbers for the updated spacers/bolts?

I saw N-910-971-01 for the bolt, and 999-025-193-30 for the spacer but the bolt is coming up as a passenger airbag mount bolt (and isn't listed as compatible with a Macan)
Old 02-08-2023, 02:30 PM
Irfan
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks OP for posting this. I was thinking about taking out cover this weekend to look for any oil leaks. I bought the Macan S 3 weeks ago, and it's already asking me to add qt of oil. I will be taking it back to the original dealer 3hrs away, to take care of few other none CPO related items. I will have them further inspect. However after I brought her home, I replaced the air filter, which looked old and needed replacement, had a date of 2018, and the cabin air filter had a date of 2017, hence the car is 2016 with 49K on the clock when I took delivery.

Last edited by Irfan; 02-08-2023 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:42 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Irfan
Thanks OP for posting this. I was thinking about taking out cover this weekend to look for any oil leaks. I bought the Macan S 3 weeks ago, and it's already asking me to add qt of oil. I will be taking it back to the original dealer 3hrs away, to take care of few other none CPO related items. I will have them further inspect. However after I brought her home, I replaced the air filter, which looked old and needed replacement, had a date of 2018, and the cabin air filter had a date of 2017, hence the car is 2016 with 49K on the clock when I took delivery.
The leaks are rarely great enough to trigger a low oil warning. Low oil warning is not uncommon if oil service isn't performed until 10K miles as these engines tend to burn about a quart during that time frame and one quart down is when that warning pops up.
The following users liked this post:
Irfan (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 02:53 PM
Irfan
Advanced

Originally Posted by rasetsu
The leaks are rarely great enough to trigger a low oil warning. Low oil warning is not uncommon if oil service isn't performed until 10K miles as these engines tend to burn about a quart during that time frame and one quart down is when that warning pops up.
Oil change is not due for another 9K miles. And when I called the dealer I bought the car from, the service rep avoided the question if the oil change was done prior to certification. He said per my vin just add 0W20 on a 16S. But no mention of 0W20 in the owners manual. So I am a bit suspicious and plan to check underneath before dropping it off next week.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:45 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Bravo and Kudos for this.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:38 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,050 Posts

He said per my vin just add 0W20 on a 16S.
Yeah, Nope. SA is a Toyota-head.

0w-40.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:20 PM
Irfan
Advanced

Originally Posted by worf928
Yeah, Nope. SA is a Toyota-head.

0w-40.
Agree, according to carfax previous owner did an oil change prior to selling or trading it in. So my guess is once they saw that it was recently done, to my knowledge they skipped the oil change. So he couldn’t tell me which weight oil they used. Didn’t want to mix 540 with 040 or other way around. Funny thing is he left me a voicemail and I called back to reconfirm, and he still said 0W20.

Last edited by Irfan; 02-08-2023 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:01 PM
Irfan
Advanced

So was able to open up the cover, the oil pan and filter area are bone dry, but oil residue/oil near the alternator, and on the hoses near the alternator.

Old 02-10-2023, 04:23 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

So was able to open up the cover, the oil pan and filter area are bone dry, but oil residue/oil near the alternator, and on the hoses near the alternator.
That's what the timing chain cover oil leak looks like. Comes down from the top driver's side.
The following users liked this post:
Irfan (02-10-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 06:06 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Took the car in for a safety recall. During their multipoint inspection, one item listed was “FOUND FRONT ENGINE TIMING COVER LEAKING. RECOMMEND REPLACING FRONT TIMING COVER BOLTS WITH UPDATED PARTS THEN REINSPECTING”. $1369.20.

kinda obvious with an estimate like that from a dealership, they are not pulling the engine. Nothing close to the thousands of dollars I have read about in some posts here. Whaddya think? I will take it to my indie and see what he says. Thx.

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)