Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 04:11 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 538 Posts

I do a lot of stuff to my various P cars, but I would NEVER try to fix the leak issue on a Macan myself!! I'm impressed...
The following users liked this post:
w2ge (01-01-2022)
Old 07-02-2020, 08:38 PM
c3e3f1340
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just watched this video on youtube which led me to go search the forums for this issue -

not sure if thats been posted or not but seems to be the exact same conclusion
engin_ear (04-23-2024)
Old 07-17-2020, 05:33 PM
VikDiddy
Advanced

Has anyone been successful in getting PCNA to cover this issue out of warranty? Currently have a 2015 Macan S with 53k miles. Dealer is quoting $12k to fix!
Old 07-17-2020, 05:43 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

I believe a few people have posted in the macanforum of positive results getting this issue resolved at
various Porsche dealers - either covered post-warranty or a small percentage of the cost borne by the
owner.

Check "over there"...

VikDiddy (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 11:58 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Read the factory service manual. They said the turbos have to come off. Did you have to remove those?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:08 PM
Bandito
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macan GTS 24000kms 4 years old

Macan GTS done 24,000 kms 4 years old and under extended warranty and about to have engine dropped in order to have timing chain cover oil leak dealt with! Wasn’t picked up a year ago when extended warranty pre check undertaken
Old 08-01-2020, 01:17 AM
janton79
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had this done on my 2017 Turbo with 25k miles. They did not drop the engine and instead took the front end off. Covered by warranty, otherwise the charge would have been about $9k.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:35 PM
justsam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by janton79
Had this done on my 2017 Turbo with 25k miles. They did not drop the engine and instead took the front end off. Covered by warranty, otherwise the charge would have been about $9k.
Was the work done by a Porsche dealership? When I had this done on my 2017 GTS the SA advised that they need to pull the engine, send pictures to PCNA showing VIN's of vehicle and engine, to prove that they had indeed followed the proper procedure.Perhaps PCNA has a trust issue with dealers? Sounds like they may have modified their accepted procedure for repair, which indicates to me they are seeing enough of these failures to invest in figuring out an optimum repair procedure.

It took me four dealer visits to two different dealers, showing pictures of oil on my garage floor, before the could "find" the leak, so I understand the issue of dealer trust.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:58 PM
janton79
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justsam
Was the work done by a Porsche dealership? When I had this done on my 2017 GTS the SA advised that they need to pull the engine, send pictures to PCNA showing VIN's of vehicle and engine, to prove that they had indeed followed the proper procedure.Perhaps PCNA has a trust issue with dealers? Sounds like they may have modified their accepted procedure for repair, which indicates to me they are seeing enough of these failures to invest in figuring out an optimum repair procedure.

It took me four dealer visits to two different dealers, showing pictures of oil on my garage floor, before the could "find" the leak, so I understand the issue of dealer trust.

Yes, the work was done at a Porsche dealer. The paper work lists the engine coming out, so I was surprised where the service advisor said they did it without taking the engine out.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:01 AM
VikDiddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Has anyone been successful in getting PCNA to cover this issue out of warranty? Currently have a 2015 Macan S with 53k miles. Dealer is quoting $12k to fix!
As an update, I was able to have PCNA cover most of the $12k bill. Still had to pay ~$2,500 out of pocket.
jonmartin (12-29-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:20 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm in my third month of owning a CPO 2017 S, bought with only 17k miles. I've put on less than 1500 miles since purchase. Couple of days ago I discovered oil drip on the floor coming through the vent in belly cover. Looking through that vent I can see oil on the alternator and elsewhere, so it's pretty evident my car has the problem. Car is still under original warranty so I'll be taking it to the dealership for repair. I have to believe this leak would've been seen during the CPO workup. The oil filter housing is dry, so that's not the source.

Oil stain/drip at right front vent of lower belly cover. I can see oil seepage looking through the vent.

Last edited by swingwing; 08-17-2020 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added sentence and picture.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:56 AM
smohr33
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by swingwing
I'm in my third month of owning a CPO 2017 S, bought with only 17k miles. I've put on less than 1500 miles since purchase. Couple of days ago I discovered oil drip on the floor coming through the vent in belly cover. Looking through that vent I can see oil on the alternator and elsewhere, so it's pretty evident my car has the problem. Car is still under original warranty so I'll be taking it to the dealership for repair. I have to believe this leak would've been seen during the CPO workup. The oil filter housing is dry, so that's not the source.

Oil stain/drip at right front vent of lower belly cover. I can see oil seepage looking through the vent.
100% guaranteed timing chain cover leak. This is exactly what mine looked like.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:57 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 160 Posts

Our 2017 Macan GTS had its oil changed at an inde shop and they told me my timing chain cover was leaking oil. Ugh.
Booked a service appointment at my Porsche dealer and they confirmed the diagnosis. Macan is in their hands for the next week (or more). Thank goodness for the warranty!

Loaner is a brand new base Panamera. Interesting cush-mobile with an overly complicated system of controls...menus upon menus. I can see why Porsche has slipped in the “initial quality” rankings. The new PCM has been made too convoluted and complex for most folks, I’d bet.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:23 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 538 Posts

Can't believe the CPO inspection didn't find that. Unfortunately I think the CPO is really hit and miss at various dealers... they must have wanted it out the door and hopefully moving to a new state!
Old 08-21-2020, 01:52 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Can't believe the CPO inspection didn't find that. Unfortunately I think the CPO is really hit and miss at various dealers... they must have wanted it out the door and hopefully moving to a new state!
I picked up my car this morning. Diagnosis was oil leak coming from valve cover gaskets and both were replaced. Color me skeptical as I've lifted the hood many times since buying the car, and think I would've noticed that. However this is my first Porsche dealership shop visit so I'm not going to contradict the diagnosis and work. I'll monitor it and hopefully won't have any more problems. I did ask my SA if they'd seen many timing cover oil leaks with the Macan V6. His answer was "No, only ones I've seen are on Cayenne diesels." Oh well, time will tell.

I am planning to take the belly pan off to see what kind of oil drip evidence is left over, and try to clean it if attending tech didn't. These covers are not hard plastic however, and are rather absorbent. Anyone have any tips on cleaning them?

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)