718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 02:24 PM
speedy974
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zorgg
Man, I think this is the funniest part of all this thread… Whoopsy is a bit like a Sphynx, and we’re all trying to get the hidden message(s) from his cryptic posts.

Look at what we can do with his last one:“Actually no, I did a mixture of about 718 drugs before I can even think of something like that.”

a) – “Mixture of… 718” = 18/7; “before I can etc.” = before I thought (actually before everyone thought). So the next GT4 will be launched in July 18, at, for example, Le Mans Classic. A nice appropriate date/ event, as a 718 won Le Mans back in 1958, 60 years ago;

b) – "Mixture of… 718” = the GT4 and the Spyder will be launched at the same time. “Before I can even think of something like that” = Before iCan Event. There’s a so called iCan show in Toronto in September 2018 (yes, I checked that). So the two models will be launched at the end of August / beginning of September this year;

c) – The whole sentence means the car is strictly derived from the 718, and that Whoopsy could not even think about this option. In other words, the car is finally getting a flat-4 turbo. Or ‘twin’ turbo…, as Whoopsy used the word ‘twin’ in 2 of his previous posts… like in this one: “9k redline. More than the regular twins with manual box”. ‘Regular twins’ does not necessarily mean GT4 & Spyder…

d) – You mix the 3 points above…

Funny, isn’t it ?!

And no, I don't smoke 420...
That is awesome! That is exactly what I was hoping someone would do!

This thread is so entertaining!!!
Old 05-18-2018, 02:29 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Whoopsy: I am sure this must be super amusing to you.

Can you please just tell us the following things:
  1. Is the GT4 going to be a 6 cylinder NA and equal to or upwards of 3.8L ?
  2. What will the redline on the GT4 be ??. Is it in the 7K range or 8K range ?
  3. Will the 9K redline GT4 RS come with a manual ?
This is all I am ever going to ask you till the next GT4 comes around.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:40 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
When the rumors started circulating that a new record is in the books for the new gen .2 GT3 and RS,I have said most of that time is in the tire improvements. Many think that couldn't be the case. Well...there are small little improvements everywhere,although most of that difference between the 1 and 2 is in the tires I'm afraid...
Some people do not realize that no matter how much power and suspension witchcraft you do,it all comes down to those 4 patches of rubber touching the road. The same goes in all cars : it amazes me people complain their AC is not strong enough or their massage seats don't work but they are running on slicks(and by slicks I don't mean the racing type).
Isn't some of the delta down to track improvements? I believe they reprofiled at least one section of track where those cars were getting airborne recently, though I don't know if that had an effect on times. There was discussion elsewhere that track improvements had contributed to the records of the new RS over the older one aside from the tweaks and tire developments.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:44 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Isn't some of the delta down to track improvements? I believe they reprofiled at least one section of track where those cars were getting airborne recently, though I don't know if that had an effect on times. There was discussion elsewhere that track improvements had contributed to the records of the new RS over the older one aside from the tweaks and tire developments.
Well yeah. The only way to get a TRUE time is to get the same driver in both cars on the same day (or two days) and run the best lap. Otherwise, a lot changes in 3 years. I suspect their times wouldn't be nearly as big of a difference if they did that though, so the news articles wouldn't be as hyperbolic which isn't as good for business or word of mouth/hype/etc. Depending on how much of the track is remodeled, it could improve times significantly (in racing terms....several seconds).
Old 05-18-2018, 02:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Yes,the track improvements helped for sure!
Old 05-18-2018, 02:55 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 138 Posts

Ok, here's my take/stab at deciphering Whoopsy's post:

"My phone was away from me for like 6 hours, but that's pretty much the rumoured car. It is after all without camo and I didn't posted it, even if I want to. "
here he is talking about Nurberger's post which he quoted showing the pics at the outlet mall. Whoopsy is just saying the car he saw looks just like it. I don't think "6 hours" means 6 cylinders. I think he was just explaining why it took him so long to post. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!

"The other half of the twin will the same but the the cloth top like old ones. "
here he is saying the Spyder has the same running gear as the GT4, but it will have the top more like the 987 Spyder (the "old one") than the 981 Spyder

"Engine will be bespoke to the car(s) for a while."
it's a new engine that will debut in the GT4/Spyder, but will eventually be in other cars.

"The race car version which I am most interested is going to be a evolution but will be competitive with competition from the cheater cars from McLaren and AMG. Without the extra weight of useless stuff for the class like snails."
Why didn't he just say, "the engine in the car is going to be a evolution...."? Why did he differentiate "the race car version"? Could the street version be turbo, but the "race car version" not have the snails (turbo's)?

The thing that was suppose to be on top of them is bonkers. I will totally take it over a GT3 without even thinking. But it is neither confirmed nor denied. The car I saw was just a figment of my imagination apparently.
Here he is talking about the GT4RS

Cars will also follow the current transmission rules. Cars also don't need someone to press the brakes for torquing.
Street version 6spd only, Clubsport PDK. No centerlocks

I am of course just pure speculating, but it's fun none the less!

Last edited by Klepper; 05-18-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:11 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Klepper
Ok, here's my take/stab at deciphering Whoopsy's post:

"My phone was away from me for like 6 hours, but that's pretty much the rumoured car. It is after all without camo and I didn't posted it, even if I want to. "
here he is talking about Nurberger's post which he quoted showing the pics at the outlet mall. Whoopsy is just saying the car he saw looks just like it. I don't think "6 hours" means 6 cylinders. I think he was just explaining why it took him so long to post. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!

"The other half of the twin will the same but the the cloth top like old ones. "
here he is saying the Spyder has the same running gear as the GT4, but it will have the top more like the 987 Spyder (the "old one") than the 981 Spyder

"Engine will be bespoke to the car(s) for a while."
it's a new engine that will debut in the GT4/Spyder, but will eventually be in other cars.

"The race car version which I am most interested is going to be a evolution but will be competitive with competition from the cheater cars from McLaren and AMG. Without the extra weight of useless stuff for the class like snails."
Why didn't he just say, "the engine in the car is going to be a evolution...."? Why did he differentiate "the race car version"? Could the street version be turbo, but the "race car version" not have the snails (turbo's)?

The thing that was suppose to be on top of them is bonkers. I will totally take it over a GT3 without even thinking. But it is neither confirmed nor denied. The car I saw was just a figment of my imagination apparently.
Here he is talking about the GT4RS

Cars will also follow the current transmission rules. Cars also don't need someone to press the brakes for torquing.
Street version 6spd only, Clubsport PDK. No centerlocks

I am of course just pure speculating, but it's fun none the less!
I like your rationale
Old 05-18-2018, 04:34 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by zorgg
Man, I think this is the funniest part of all this thread… Whoopsy is a bit like a Sphynx, and we’re all trying to get the hidden message(s) from his cryptic posts.

c) – The whole sentence means the car is strictly derived from the 718, and that Whoopsy could not even think about this option. In other words, the car is finally getting a flat-4 turbo. Or ‘twin’ turbo…, as Whoopsy used the word ‘twin’ in 2 of his previous posts… like in this one: “9k redline. More than the regular twins with manual box”. ‘Regular twins’ does not necessarily mean GT4 & Spyder…

d) – You mix the 3 points above…

Funny, isn’t it ?!

And no, I don't smoke 420...
Point C would be a total mind-blower if the next 981 is really a Turbo!
Old 05-18-2018, 04:46 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Whoopsy said NA. In any case if is going to be a turbo is not going to be 4cyl. JMO
Old 05-18-2018, 05:37 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

a. If I actually answer directly any of those questions, this thread will die instantly.

b. If I actually answer directly any of those, someone will get fired.

c. If I actually answer directly any of those, I will not be back at Weissach ever again. And I want to go back, might be as soon as October.

d. If I actually answer directly to any of those, I will be in direct breach of the NDA.

e. At times I might violate the spirit of the law, but I won't break the letter of the law.

Originally Posted by Gatte
@Whoopsy: I am sure this must be super amusing to you.

Can you please just tell us the following things:
  1. Is the GT4 going to be a 6 cylinder NA and equal to or upwards of 3.8L ?
  2. What will the redline on the GT4 be ??. Is it in the 7K range or 8K range ?
  3. Will the 9K redline GT4 RS come with a manual ?
This is all I am ever going to ask you till the next GT4 comes around.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:39 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

But guys, keep going, some of you got the correct answers, everyone just have to figure out who got which right.

Oh here is the last bit, the 718 I wrote earlier actually means nothing, I used that cause we are talking about the 718 series.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:41 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

But guys, isn't this thread miles better than those 'what's my car worth', 'what's the best way to keep re-sale value high' junk threads?
Old 05-18-2018, 05:45 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
But guys, isn't this thread miles better than those 'what's my car worth', 'what's the best way to keep re-sale value high' junk threads?
Its the best thread on rennlist imo.

Goes to show how passionate gt4 owners are.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:02 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Agreed 100%.

Never did i think when I started this thread and it would be as long as it is now lol.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:06 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm calling dibs on the chair next to Whoopsy at the Tomahawk next time!!!!

In all seriousness guys, I'm not sure what else you're hunting for. I think that we have enough to understand what the new car is going to look like. Seems exactly what you'd expect: an evolution and not a revolution. 420hp 4L with a slightly increased redline is not a meaningful difference in the cars to warrant action (if you already have the current car) as far as I'm concerned. A 20-30hp increase is nothing and I don't think that we have any reason to believe that the handling will be different than the last car.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?