718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
So if I can summarize:
  • 3.8 Stroked (Will get GT3 trans but not GT3 motor so that will help a bit with gearing).
    • Whoopsy had assumed it was the 4.0 from the GT3 in one of his posts and, when a member pointed out that it could be the 3.8 stroked to 4.0, said it is entirely possible it's the old lump stroked instead which aligns with his comment about there being an assumption in his original take
  • 420/325-330 (bottom number subject to change, my bet is 325, same as outgoing .1 GT3)
  • 7700 RPM, potentially 7900 RPM fuel cut. Stroking usually leads to lower red line so who knows
  • no multilink to keep a gap
  • Will probably turn a 7:25-7:28 lap officially to not step on toes. +12-15 from .2 GT3 and -12 to 15 from current GT4. Tires/aero/improved surface.
  • Unveil as soon as Paris, 04OCT2018
Feel free to point out where I'm wrong.

for turbo vs N/A: for the last time, it's not turbo. One word: homologation.
this is probably very close to being accurate. Makes sense to me.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:58 PM
4nroots
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I can summarize:
  • 3.8 Stroked (Will get GT3 trans but not GT3 motor so that will help a bit with gearing).
    • Whoopsy had assumed it was the 4.0 from the GT3 in one of his posts and, when a member pointed out that it could be the 3.8 stroked to 4.0, said it is entirely possible it's the old lump stroked instead which aligns with his comment about there being an assumption in his original take
  • 420/325-330 (bottom number subject to change, my bet is 325, same as outgoing .1 GT3)
  • 7700 RPM, potentially 7900 RPM fuel cut. Stroking usually leads to lower red line so who knows
  • Will probably turn a 7:25-7:28 lap officially to not step on toes. +12-15 from .2 GT3 and -12 to 15 from current GT4. Tires/aero/improved surface.

Yes the info is pointing this way. Incremental rather than revolutionary improvements. One thing I am still wondering is whether the street version will offer PDK. Where did you see that the manual transmission would be from the GT3 btw?

Many questions still about this potential GT4RS, including whether it will even be made haha.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:07 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

So if I can summarize:

The new GT4 will NOT have the the GT3 trans -- it's that whole rear engine vs. mid engine thing. The transmissions these days are no longer designed to allow the R&P to be flipped, so they won't be able to use the GT3 trans in a GT4 without mounting it upside down, and Porsche just isn't going to that -- it won't fit in the car, let alone any concern about making an upside-down trans survive the warranty. The GT4 may end up with gearing similar to/same as the GT3 (or not), but the GT4 trans will be derived from the existing trans or some other front-engine-front-drive trans, not the GT3 trans.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:19 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 4nroots

Yes the info is pointing this way. Incremental rather than revolutionary improvements. One thing I am still wondering is whether the street version will offer PDK. Where did you see that the manual transmission would be from the GT3 btw?

Many questions still about this potential GT4RS, including whether it will even be made haha.
Whoopsy's original post in this thread stated that re: GT3 trans. I know I'm several lists for the RS. If it's made, as a die hard manual guy, I'll live with and love the PDK (If I even get one, and I have no delusions of being able to do so).

Originally Posted by BillC3
The new GT4 will NOT have the the GT3 trans -- it's that whole rear engine vs. mid engine thing. The transmissions these days are no longer designed to allow the R&P to be flipped, so they won't be able to use the GT3 trans in a GT4 without mounting it upside down, and Porsche just isn't going to that -- it won't fit in the car, let alone any concern about making an upside-down trans survive the warranty. The GT4 may end up with gearing similar to/same as the GT3 (or not), but the GT4 trans will be derived from the existing trans or some other front-engine-front-drive trans, not the GT3 trans.
That makes sense to me. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:23 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
Likely the new GT4 won't arrive til early 2019 which leaves me almost another year without a Porsche. I'm starting to lean more towards buying a GT4 at a good value (clear bra, lower miles, buckets, etc) then selling it private party when the 718 GT4 arrives. If I'm getting a 718 GT4 at MSRP, I would pass on trading in the 981 GT4 as I know the dealer would screw me. If the build is desirable, selling it private party next year won't be an issue.
heck, buy a new one.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4020/overview/
Old 05-19-2018, 02:05 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by mithiral67
3748 miles
Old 05-19-2018, 03:00 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

Homologation.

I guess I don’t understand how the “homologation” works. How similar does the road car need to be to the race car? Obviously not identical. For example, the 981 GT4 Clubsport had a completely different transmission than the road car (PDK vs 6spd MT).
Old 05-19-2018, 03:17 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Klepper

I guess I don’t understand how the “homologation” works. How similar does the road car need to be to the race car? Obviously not identical. For example, the 981 GT4 Clubsport had a completely different transmission than the road car (PDK vs 6spd MT).
GT4 Technical Regulations 2017 PDF

In short, engine must be the same, transmission can be different...
Old 05-19-2018, 03:21 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Risking getting bash at the peak of this thread ....I'm going to omit the GT4RS info here and just stick to the GT4....didn't happen in 981 and they had the window to upgrade the engine for an RS using the 9A1, which by the way, I think they will use it again (there's your bespoke engine which is not used on any other PAG product). They need to balance a lot of things with a product: Performance, Pricing, Hierarchy while not cannibalizing your current offerings.... Unless the RS is a minimal performance improvement over the GT4....which will be a cash cow for Porsche. just my 0.02 cents here
Porsche...please build the GT4RS, there's plenty of room between the "new" GT4 and the 500hp 991.2 GT3 for a GT4RS
GT4RS
450 to 475hp
8500+ rev limit
multi-link rear suspension
RS1 front fenders and some other aero bits
and last but not least, give us some historical racing colors as standard fare without charging an arm and a leg or the price of a newborn baby
suggestions: Arrow Blue, Mexico Blue, Signal Yellow, Birch or Lizard Green, Ultraviolet or Aubergine
Old 05-19-2018, 03:25 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
But guys, isn't this thread miles better than those 'what's my car worth', 'what's the best way to keep re-sale value high' junk threads?
+1 again and again
Thanks Whoopsy
Old 05-19-2018, 04:42 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Local dealers (to me) wont put you on a MSRP GT car list unless you're trading in a GT car, and while they'll sell you the new car at MSRP, they take their massive premium out of your trade. Buying a GT car without trading in a GT car is against Deutchland law here! Half of the pitch for the used GT cars in their inventory is to get on the new GT car list. What a racket!
5 GT4 and 2 GT3RS there. I wonder if the Black GT4 was Whoopsy's. That's the modus operandi for Canadian dealers.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,835 Posts

delete
Old 05-19-2018, 11:52 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO

3748 miles
Ha, yes, its an unusually labeled new one.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:21 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mithiral67
Ha, yes, its an unusually labeled new one.
These cars usually were porsche corporate cars or journalist cars. They are technically new because they've never been bought/financed/leased/owned by an individual.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:38 AM
Bausse9
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we all keep missing the painful truth, and what is right there in what Whoopsy has said (and not said), and all the collective evidence.

Go back and look at Whoopsy’s post.He has not re-stated that the road car is NA. Only the racecar, and he has been careful to make the distinction. And the homologation rules can be waivered for engine specs (it says so in the regs). [Reference similar ‘tricks‘ when the RSR was homologated (albeit under GTE class) with its mid-mounted engine…].

Look at the other evidence for the road car – we’ve NOT heard definitive footage of the road going GT4, only the racecar. We HAVE seen the Spyder videos, where it mostly seems like a H4T, much more strongly than the 6-cyl we’re used to. Whoopsy HAS confirmed that the 'twins' will have the same engine. So the Spyder video is back on the table as our best evidence of what the GT4 engine will be. Don’t forget that before his visit to Weissach, Whoopsy was quite definitive about the engine format for the road car, but since the visit he has NOT re-confirmed that the road car is NA. He has ONLY confirmed this for the Clubsport. Why?

In fact, since his post, I've not seen any evidence that the road car is NA, and also looking at all the other collective evidence, vids etc. Therefore, the absolute strongest evidence to date is that the new 718 GT4 will use the 718 flat-4 turbocharged engine. In fact, even EVO magazine's article on the GT4 of a few days ago sits on the fence, whereas before they were all 'new GT4 gets 4.0' - now they're back to being unsure. Otherwise, why all the smoke and mirrors suddenly. Why would Whoopsy not simply make reference to what he advised before, or why not simply make reference to what all journalists have written. Why not simply say ‘this article is a good read guys’….

Its because the road car is not NA.

What Whoopsy did confirm is that the road going 718 GT4 is going to be ‘bespoke for a while’, i.e. ‘continue to be bespoke’ – now, what engine is bespoke (i.e. unique) to the 718? Yep, the flat-4 turbo…. Its the only engine that is actually bespoke to the 718. Whoopsy told us the answer right there. And no, the previous 3.8 is not bespoke to the GT4 either, it’s from the 991, as we all know, so it can’t be that either.

It’s a 4-pot! This is what we should all be discussing!

Last edited by Bausse9; 05-21-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Formatting

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?