Rennlist Member

Received 1,624 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Just a typo.

Old 01-04-2024, 05:17 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Some of the electric cars have specified torque at the wheels, over the last few years. It's misleading advertising in my opinion. They hope you won't figure out what they are measuring, so they don't make it clear.

An ICE engine/trans commonly puts 10x the engine torque to the wheels. Depends on the gear selection/final drive. For example, 500 ft-lbs x 3.16 (1st gear) x 3.16 (final drive) = 5000 ft-lbs.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Billings:
Drifting (01-13-2024), worf928 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 05:22 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,624 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Billings
Some of the electric cars have specified torque at the wheels, over the last few years. It's misleading advertising in my opinion. They hope you won't figure out what they are measuring, so they don't make it clear.

An ICE engine/trans commonly puts 10x the engine torque to the wheels. Depends on the gear selection/final drive. For example, 500 ft-lbs x 3.16 (1st gear) x 3.16 (final drive) = 5000 ft-lbs.
Yup -^
Old 01-09-2024, 06:11 PM
TubaFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

All the different pedal modes Matt mentioned sound pretty interesting, and could definitely liven up the road version if it comes with them.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:41 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 896 Likes on 401 Posts

if a modified Model 3 Performance can damn near match the lap times of a brand new GT3 RS it doesn't take much to conclude that if Porsche really wanted to, they could easily build an electric Cayman that would beat the GT3RS around a track, but unfortunately they don't want to canibalize their beloved 911, but you can see by this video that EV platforms are very capable of embarssing ICE vehicles at more than just stop lights these days.

as someone who owns both EV and ICE vehicles who doesn't really have a dog in this fight, who just loves cars...I think it's cool to see and am not threatened nor offended by what EV's can do and excited to see what Porsche can actually do and if they have the cajones to actually build the car they are capable of building.....

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 01-11-2024 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:07 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
..I think it's cool to see and am not threatened nor offended by what EV's can do
We're generally not offended by what EV's can do either. We're offended by government mandates.

And to end my thought on a positive note....

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...et-2024-01-11/
Old 01-11-2024, 08:27 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
We're generally not offended by what EV's can do either. We're offended by government mandates.

And to end my thought on a positive note....

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...et-2024-01-11/
Some here seem pretty triggered by just the mention of EV's lol

I think we are decades away from any sort of mandates, and most likely by then ICE vehicles will be obsolete anyway to a majority of the buying public....but I don't think ICE vehicle will ever be banned, at least not in any of our lifetimes

Hertz getting out of renting EV's isn't some sort of revelation that EV's are done....I have a Tesla as my DD, but I wouldn't want to rent one. EV's are great if you have home charging, not for renting in a town you are visiting.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:21 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

I'm still in the "build a better product, and folks will buy it" camp.... We do not need all the Government incentives for BEV purchase and EPA regulations to kill the ICE.

Choice is the best solution......

Last edited by 981KMAN; 01-11-2024 at 09:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IndigoInkTaco (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 09:33 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
I'm still in the "build a better product, and folks will buy it" camp.... We do not need all the Government incentives for BEV purchase and EPA regulations to kill the ICE.

Choice is the best solution......

https://youtu.be/_YR1AQ8bExQ?feature=shared
don't belive everything you see on YouTube...there are a million anti-EV videos out there with the same old bull**** about how bad EV's are.....big oil spends millions a year in misinformation campaigns and some people love to lap it all up.

Tesla still has two of the top selling cars in the world right now and they don't even advertise or have dealerships....this is the result of "build a better product and people will buy it"
contrary to popular belief on most car forums, EV's are not the devil
Old 01-11-2024, 09:37 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

I agree... EVs are not the devil.... The all out push to eliminate the ICE and only offer BEVs is!

Let manufacturers build both and the consumer will make their choice on which technology works best for them.
The following 2 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
IndigoInkTaco (01-11-2024), Schn3ll (01-12-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 11:15 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
I agree... EVs are not the devil.... The all out push to eliminate the ICE and only offer BEVs is!

Let manufacturers build both and the consumer will make their choice on which technology works best for them.

i think that "all out push to eliminate ICE" is a bit overstated and not really reality as of 2024.... the goal is to reduce c02 emissions and to push the auto industry in the right direction. I don't think it is a bad thing as of today and it has helped drive EV technology to its current pace. Doing nothing about climate change issues, wheather you beleive them or not, is worse.

No one in your lifetime is going to take away your ICE vehicle and if new cars are all truly banned from being produced by 2035(which many have their doubts about including me) we will live....and probably help our future generations live too.
The following users liked this post:
gt3rs. (01-13-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 03:36 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 586 Likes on 395 Posts

the goal is to reduce c02 emissions and to push the auto industry in the right direction.
Not just CO2, but harmful air pollution. There's a reason Los Angeles, while still pretty damn smoggy, isn't nearly as bad as New Delhi; yes many contributing factors besides just transportation, but all you have to do is look at old pictures of LA from the 80s.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...g-of-new-delhi

You can see the trend in reduction of unhealthy air days in LA in the last 3 decades here; basically cut down to 1/3 of what it was in the 80s even though the population increased about 30%.
https://www.laalmanac.com/environment/ev01b.php
The following 2 users liked this post by spdracerut:
Mike818 (01-15-2024), wizee (01-15-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 06:53 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,076 Likes on 448 Posts

the goal is to reduce c02 emissions and to push the auto industry in the right direction. I don't think it is a bad thing as of today and it has helped drive EV technology to its current pace. Doing nothing about climate change issues, wheather you beleive them or not, is worse.
This is my big issue summed up here - the whole EV push is predicated on a hill of lies pushed by pseudo-scientists with no end in sight.

Around the time of the Vietnam war, the elite few saw how profitable endless war truly was - great way to get a constant stream of taxpayer funds into their pockets by essentially money laundering. Since then we have had nearly endless wars (War on Drugs, War on Terror, War on Climate, War on Viruses). None of them truly worked to fix what they surmised the issue was, yet all of them worked as intended (enrichment of the few). The rules are simple, keep the goals nebulous, gain support through public opinion with carefully tailored messaging downloads from your favorite corporate news, silence/demonize dissenters - then collect the money. This recipe has worked over and over again. It's been a slow indoctrination of the general public, I remember being shown "An Inconvenient Truth" in school, go back and watch that nonsense now and try not to laugh - Al Gore is right about as much of the time as Jim Cramer is.

The percentage of CO2 in our atmosphere right now is 0.04%. Below 0.02% all life on earth dies. More CO2 helps plants thrive, this is counterintuitive to the narrative. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...67880987900235

There are no stated goals in terms of "climate change", are we done when we lower the temperature by 1 degree? And as we cannot accurately track what the temperature was 15,000 years ago, how do we know our temperature now is not just a completely normal planetary cycle of warming age vs. ice age? The earth is extremely eco-diverse, you could be in the Sahara or the North Pole right now and the temperature differential is 100 degrees, that is considered normal.

Additionally, how much money spent on this is enough? If we spend 50 Trillion and the temperature is reduced by 0.2 degrees and the world is bankrupted, is that a success?

People like Bill Gates, John Kerry, And Al Gore are some of the most vocal supporters of this narrative and yet none are scientists (two conspicuously are very wealthy though). Simultaneously the way this is debated flies in the face of the scientific method - "the science is settled" as these grifters like to say - science is never settled and should always be challenged. Papers written by scientists are not published if they are counter to the narrative, speakers are uninvited, these dissenters are silenced. It reminds me of a recent virus that was floating around that caused many to lose their minds...

There is much to learn still in terms the actual causes for why temperature changes on earth and to what extent humans influence it - anyone who says otherwise is a fraud (for example, the sun has a much larger influence then previously suggested). Studies have shown that for an EV to be less pollutant over its lifespan vs. a gas vehicle, it takes roughly 80k miles (not great), at the same time, gas engines have never been cleaner (GPF and multiple Catalytic converters). I do agree pollution is something we need to address, but gas cars, especially modern ones, are far from the biggest culprit.
The following 3 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
Chester7 (01-14-2024), IndigoInkTaco (01-13-2024), worf928 (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 08:28 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Whoops: January 12 2024

After Big Tesla Bet, Hertz Selling One-Third of EV Fleet

Car-rental company cites low demand, says some proceeds to be used to buy internal-combustion-engine vehicles

Old 01-12-2024, 08:40 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Hertz on Thursday also cut its outlook for the year, in part from higher collision and damage expenses, primarily related to EVs, the company said.

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread