Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 05:33 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
+1. Well said. These fools really believe we can run our infrastructure on solar and wind. While I'm no fan of coal, no where on earth is it burned as clean as in the US. They have no problem changing the energy mix, destroying jobs and industries that results in increased prices to further their Utopian agenda. Rant over.
+1 and coal is still what keeps the lights on! We will get there, but we aren't there yet! Nuclear wasn't the answer either. Hydrogen?
Old 06-12-2016, 06:53 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
+1 and coal is still what keeps the lights on! We will get there, but we aren't there yet! Nuclear wasn't the answer either. Hydrogen?
Not to mention the billions in capital equipment and thousands of miners that are underutilized. If you want to go carbon free, nuke is the only way to provide 100% uptime of the power grid. Hydrogen is not technically an energy source, it takes energy to produce hydrogen. If you ran a fleet of nuke powered plants, you could use the energy to make hydrogen from water and use it as a transportation fuel. Although, for the most part, it's cheaper and easier to charge your electric car if you can deal with the limited range and recharge times.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:53 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nuclear is obviously no panacea either even if it doesn't pollute the air. I mean aside from the huge downside risk (albeit low) of a meltdown — there is the issue of ongoing radioactive waste and spent fuel rods. Also mining and production of fissionable material takes a large amount of input energy prior to being used in a reactor.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:24 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey gang, this is about what do we need to make us whole on the CD's, NOT a theological question on governmental agencies wasting money. This thread is taking a tangent for too long and lets bring it back to point at hand. Porsche was caught cheating (regardless of how much they do or don't pollute) and tossing our government under the bus doesn't help me (or you).
Old 06-14-2016, 12:19 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
Hey gang, this is about what do we need to make us whole on the CD's, NOT a theological question on governmental agencies wasting money. This thread is taking a tangent for too long and lets bring it back to point at hand. Porsche was caught cheating (regardless of how much they do or don't pollute) and tossing our government under the bus doesn't help me (or you).
And we'll know that when they announce the solution and not before. In the meantime, we're just enjoying the conversation, wherever it takes us.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:28 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Most all true, but how much do you think Porsche Corporate even knew? We're all speculating but it sounds like within VW it was a pretty tight circle. Porsche engineers probably just said wow, VW/Audi have this great 3.0 TDI lets use it and along comes the whole package with computer and software. I doubt Porsche knew much about it as they are still considered somewhat the outsiders within the Corporation.
BTW, I was in Zuffenhausen two weeks ago and was able to drive a 4.2TDI Cayenne. I would trade my CTTS (2006) for the 4.2TDI in a heartbeat.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:03 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Most all true, but how much do you think Porsche Corporate even knew? We're all speculating but it sounds like within VW it was a pretty tight circle. Porsche engineers probably just said wow, VW/Audi have this great 3.0 TDI lets use it and along comes the whole package with computer and software. I doubt Porsche knew much about it as they are still considered somewhat the outsiders within the Corporation.
BTW, I was in Zuffenhausen two weeks ago and was able to drive a 4.2TDI Cayenne. I would trade my CTTS (2006) for the 4.2TDI in a heartbeat.
The Cayenne diesel has a different ECU than the Audi Q5 or A6.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:02 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
The Cayenne diesel has a different ECU than the Audi Q5 or A6.
different tuning parameters maybe, but probably not a whole different ecu.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:58 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Court date moved to 28th of June. Looks they need more time to settle the details. Maybe there were no CD owners willing to lend a CD for verification
Old 06-16-2016, 04:23 PM
wernerga3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2011 Touareg TDI Exec, and even though it was totaled in February, my attorney assured me there will be some type of settlement since I owned it before the scandal broke. It has taken them so long to come to a solution that I am a loophole. I purchased before the impact date, but it was lost before the resolution date.

Since I don't have the literal car to make any changes to, I wonder what the settlement would be. Maybe depreciation (since the car was worth absolutely nothing when the insurance company cut me the check), or maybe a simpler calculable payout. Hopefully there will not be some condition that you need to get the car fixed, since mine is long gone. But I did get hit hard on the depreciation and kept all the documentation to at least prove that worst case.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:34 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

After over 60 pages of posts, the only thing known for sure is that a CPO warranty for a Cayenne diesel can be verified through a Porsche dealer’s computer. If your lawyer knows more than that, ask him what the stock market is doing tomorrow.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:37 PM
wernerga3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
After over 60 pages of posts, the only thing known for sure is that a CPO warranty for a Cayenne diesel can be verified through a Porsche dealer’s computer. If your lawyer knows more than that, ask him what the stock market is doing tomorrow.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Nuclear is obviously no panacea either even if it doesn't pollute the air. I mean aside from the huge downside risk (albeit low) of a meltdown — there is the issue of ongoing radioactive waste and spent fuel rods. Also mining and production of fissionable material takes a large amount of input energy prior to being used in a reactor.
Yes, Nuclear has problems. Beyond the 75,000 tons of high level waste that is in "temporary" storage, Nuclear power plants don't run long enough to pay for their initial investments.
The last time I checked (2012), every plant in the U.S. had either failed or been decommissioned before the original investment had been recovered. So, not many investors out there! (That would be Utility Companies, largely.)
If they had built Yucca Mountain it would already be full. But having a State willing to take that stuff is unlikely, not to mention the towns and cities along the routes that the waste would be transported.
The recently decommissioned Uranium Mill in our town (a Superfund site) MAY be cleaned up in twenty to fifty years, but it's unlikely.
Saying that Nuclear Power Plants are the solution is ignoring the depth of the problem. Fission may be an answer, if somebody invents it.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:19 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

I have an a8 tdi, is there a preferred attorney group that the cayenne owners have migrated to?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:40 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by osu s2k
I have an a8 tdi, is there a preferred attorney group that the cayenne owners have migrated to?
This law firm is one of the lead attorneys in the class action lawsuit.

http://blockesq.com/about-us/

You can contact them to voice your concerns about the 3.0 diesels. All the parties seem to be more concerned about the 2.0 engines. From the couple of communications I had with this law firm they seem to be quite knowleagable about the issues.

You can also follow what the court is doing through this website:
http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue