Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016 | 04:50 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Given how little we have been told my guess is that we are all going to eat the realized and yet to realize depreciation that these cars are going to suffer from. As soon as the stop sale is over, every single dealer is going to blow out their new-old inventory. That's what my sales manager told me; he doesn't care how much they loose, they just want them off the books.

Porsche is becoming increasingly arrogant... just look at the how they handle production of cars that enthusiasts really want (GT3, GT4, 911R). I am sure they think there is enough brand loyalty that no matter what people will keep buying. For example, a friend with 3 P-cars in the family told me that I was a fool for selling my 911 and buying a BMW for track use because BMWs crash.... yep...
Alex- you could well be right. However, ask GM how that worked out for them.
Let's not forget, Porsches are mostly toys for many people. For heaven sake, who needs an 70-80k SUV? Some pretty good SUV alternatives coming out now from Maserati, Land Rover and Jaguar. As far as sports cars, Porsches are unique, but the profits from the Cayenne keep the mid-engine and rear engine cars competitive. Bottom line- don't mess with your base and your highest volume product.
Old 06-27-2016 | 07:08 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Alex- you could well be right. However, ask GM how that worked out for them.
Let's not forget, Porsches are mostly toys for many people. For heaven sake, who needs an 70-80k SUV? Some pretty good SUV alternatives coming out now from Maserati, Land Rover and Jaguar. As far as sports cars, Porsches are unique, but the profits from the Cayenne keep the mid-engine and rear engine cars competitive. Bottom line- don't mess with your base and your highest volume product.
Plus, at least from my limited and anecdotal evidence, most people who own the CD own another P-car...
Old 06-28-2016 | 01:32 AM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Default More Clarity

It appears that there is more clarity on VW side about the compensation. My understanding is that as these cars are not fixable; therefore there is a buyback program for them plus some cash.

Based on your responses I understand that there will not be a buyback program for our vehicles. At this stage I am hoping for a fix that does not affect the performance of the car (and to an extent the fuel economy).

Still, major or minor this is a surgery that I would not have placed my vehicle under if not required, but we are past beyond that.

So in essence 2 questions that needs to be answered are:
1- What is the fix? How will it affect my vehicle?
2- What is the compensation?

We have no other way then to oblige with the fix that will be enforced on us, that is clear. However for the compensation, I think we might have a voice. Therefore I would like to hear from you what would be the fair compensation for what we have been dealing with?

Since I am not even remotely in to car business, except being a fan of the brand, I have no clue.

(I have bought so many extras for my CD -the whole car is covered with X-Pel, 21" original Turbo II wheels and such-, I am happy that there is no buyback option to be honest)
Old 06-28-2016 | 09:36 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...oreUserAgent=1

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZD2S5

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/28...ww.google.com/

Sounds like the settlement for the 2.0 liter cars is all but complete. Now we wait for ours.
Old 06-28-2016 | 09:44 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dr Cayenne
It appears that there is more clarity on VW side about the compensation. My understanding is that as these cars are not fixable; therefore there is a buyback program for them plus some cash.

Based on your responses I understand that there will not be a buyback program for our vehicles. At this stage I am hoping for a fix that does not affect the performance of the car (and to an extent the fuel economy).
You are mixing issues.

The buyback and settlement currently being talked about is for the 2.0 cars only. These are the cars where they actively cheated so that they could leave certain pieces of the emissions control out. Adding those pieces in after the fact A) will be expensive, B) will impact the usability of the car (e.g. loss of trunk space), and C) will have a noticeable negative impact to performance and MPG. The last two points would open them to massive lawsuits so the buyback is an end run to nip related class actions in the bud or at least significantly impact their scope.

The 3.0l cars, including the CD, are not included in that and are still in limbo. The prevailing rumors continue to be that the fix for our cars will be software related and possibly a new CAT. These would be considered minor changes and not costly (compared to what the 2.0l would need) so no buy back is really on the table at this time.
Old 06-28-2016 | 03:03 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

They are not taking mine back, lol, I like forgetting to fill up
Old 06-28-2016 | 03:15 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Correct. The CDs and all 3.0L cars are still up in the air for fix. Who knows what will happen and it still will be likely to occur towards the end of the year. Luckily we moved on to a Cayenne v6 and are happy we didn't wait for a fix as it would have taken what 12+ mos since our original Cayenne diesel order last Aug 2015.

Feel sorry for you guys still waiting on your fix and the limbo of all the VW diesels.
Old 06-28-2016 | 03:18 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

California Air Resources Board and Federal 2.0 diesel news releases. Charging stations and buybacks up to over $44,000 included. Still needs a court review sometime in the fall and probably still months to go for the 3.0 diesel approval fix.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/newsrelease.php?id=834

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/vol...-and-deceiving
Old 06-28-2016 | 03:21 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

While the 3.0L part of the case still requires a remedy, today's announcement, assuming it is approved by the court, outlines a precedence for the 3.0L settlement. At issue will be the ability of VW Group to "fix" the 3.0L emission output while not compromising any existing features, such as power, acceleration, fuel consumption, etc. If this can be done to the satisfaction of the parties (EPA, CARB, owner's class, states, etc) then the likelihood of a substantial buy back provision may be moot. If, however, VW Group cannot certify the repairs will result in no adverse conditions post repair, the likelihood of some measure of a buy back is quite possible. There is also the complicating factor of having Porsche and Audi having to remedy their vehicles, possibly jointly under a VW umbrella but also possibly separately.

The other factor to be taken into account is the timing. As noted in the 2.0L case, repairs, if even possible, may not commence until 2018 allowing the owners a 2 year period to "wait it out" assuming they wish to continue to drive their vehicles. The 3.0L case may have a similar element to it as there will need to be a period of time to determine if the vehicles can be fixed, and then how much time it will take to physically make the repairs.

Nevertheless today's proposed settlement for the 2.0L diesel vehicles lends insights and sets a good legal precedence toward the solution of the 3.0L vehicles.
Old 06-28-2016 | 11:05 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

They mention that the buyback $ is based on prescandal value. When is prescandal Im hoping to come up with a value
Old 06-28-2016 | 11:20 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by osu s2k
They mention that the buyback $ is based on prescandal value. When is prescandal Im hoping to come up with a value
Sept 2015, see below link

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Feel sorry for you guys still waiting on your fix and the limbo of all the VW diesels.
Who's waiting? I guess if you had ordered a car I get it, need to move on. But I'm still enjoying great mileage, good towing, and my favorite daily I've ever had. This is a moot point to me as I plan to drive this thing into the ground.

This is very specific on the offers for the buy backs. See end:
http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwm...sed-settlement
Old 06-28-2016 | 11:30 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

"You are mixing issues.

The buyback and settlement currently being talked about is for the 2.0 cars only. These are the cars where they actively cheated so that they could leave certain pieces of the emissions control out. Adding those pieces in after the fact A) will be expensive, B) will impact the usability of the car (e.g. loss of trunk space), and C) will have a noticeable negative impact to performance and MPG. The last two points would open them to massive lawsuits so the buyback is an end run to nip related class actions in the bud or at least significantly impact their scope.

The 3.0l cars, including the CD, are not included in that and are still in limbo. The prevailing rumors continue to be that the fix for our cars will be software related and possibly a new CAT. These would be considered minor changes and not costly (compared to what the 2.0l would need) so no buy back is really on the table at this time" Gnat

You are not following, I mentioned that a buyback is not possible already. You are also making facts out of thin air as neither you nor anyone else in this forum has no idea what the fix is, so at best what you are coming up is pure speculation (software, cat)

What is on the table is a "fix" that is going to be needed. The second fact is that there will be a compensation. I am asking the forum members what is their expectation with regards to compensation.

It all gives me a headache to deal with uncertainity and the and it has been taking too long to have a solution to this problem which is frustrating.

Last edited by Dr Cayenne; 06-28-2016 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-28-2016 | 11:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

The only gauge we have is the VW 2.0 settlement.
Take a 2015 Audi A3 Pretige - estimated buy back amount including compensation is about 40k, compensation only if you do a 'fix' is about 10k. In rough numbers the payout is about 20-25% of the estimated value of the vehicle prior to issues.

So do I expect Porsche to cut me a check for 20k+? Not really
Old 06-29-2016 | 12:14 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dr Cayenne
You are not following, I mentioned that a buyback is not possible already.
No, you are not following. Not even your own posts. The post from you that I quoted was clearly trying to apply the settlement information just released for the 2.0l cars to our 3.0l cars. It gives us a framework and a data point, but the two situations are significantly different enough that what happens with one doesn't have to relate to the other.

Just how do you know a buyback is not possible? Do you have inside information from VAG?

It is of course still a possibility, but as has already been discussed a few times, it's unlikely.

You are also making facts out of thin air as neither you nor anyone else in this forum has no idea what the fix is, so at best what you are coming up is pure speculation (software, cat)
Which applies to your "buyback is not possible" comment as well, but we are actually educated about this problem and some of us actually do have knowledge of how situations like this work so we can make educated guesses about what the outcome will be.

There is a lack of specific facts coming from either side so it is all of course speculation. There has been enough for us to make some educated guesses though and that has been the main topic of this thread. If you don't wish to have a reasoned discussion about the situation, why did you post in the thread?

CARB/EPA/VAG have released enough information that we knew from early on that the 2.0l issue was massive in that they actively set out to not only cheat, but to take gross advantage of the cheating (e.g. cheating so badly that they could cut corners on major emissions systems). What has been released about the 3.0l issue, however, is that it was a debugging setting that was "accidentally" left enabled. All the required hardware is in place though which is why it is widely believed to be a software change with potentially some minor hardware changes.

What is on the table is a "fix" that is going to be needed.
Actually there is a possibility that no fix is needed. Not because they really do meet the regulations, but because this is more political in nature than it is about the environment. CARB and the EPA have apparently won a big score with the 2.0 settlement and if it is accepted as is then I can see an ending for the 3.0l issue where they just stick some more fines on VAG, but don't require them to actually fix the existing vehicles.

I'm not sure how likely it is as the politics just muddy the waters (CARB/EPA could also just as easily taste blood now and get emboldened), but it is a possibility.

The second fact is that there will be a compensation. I am asking the forum members what is their expectation with regards to compensation.
And if you read the thread and took the time to understand it rather than demanding we spoon feed it to you, you'd have your answer already.

To sum up though, we haven't speculated much as we don't know and the biggest factor comes down to that which we don't know. What will the "fix" be? If the resolution offers no change that owners can discern, is any compensation justified?

There will be compensation of some sort, of that this is no question. What people think is fair will greatly depend on what is done to resolve this in the eyes of the law and what they personally feel about it all (e.g. I don't give a rat's *** about depreciation because I always intended to have the car for a long time and that hasn't changed, but I'll be royally pissed if my MPG or power is impacted).
Old 06-29-2016 | 07:57 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

From prior messages here, we know that CARB has asked some owners to rent their CDs. Wasn't the discussion was that CARB wanted to compare our current CDs against whatever fix is being proposed by Audi? So I bet the current negotiations are whether the fix is good enough. There has been zero indications of whether owners are to be compensated, though the spokesperson of one of the attorneys stated that issues related to the owners are in the discussions.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue