Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

A fix? As I recall, in the very early days of the scandal. VW announced that they had achieved a fix for the 3 liter engines, which they said was accepted by some EU Countries. I think Germany was named, but they could be biased.
The "fix" was an exchange piece in the intake that induced a swirl and solved the problem - perhaps with some reprogramming.
Then CARB became emboldened, the lawyers swarmed, and that conversation was quashed.

The timeline looks daunting. If we see a "proposed" settlement in July, it will go through the usual comment period(s) before it's final. Then the engineering will have a better direction, and it will be applied and tested, then verified by the Agencies. Then a cost/benefit and the extra pound of flesh calculation, then on to manufacturing for sourcing and production.
i can see THAT part of the process, in the case of the 2 liter cars, taking the full two years that owners are allowed to decide - so that leaves little time for assessment of how the "fix" may affect performance and mileage.

On the other hand, after November it's no longer an Election Year, so the need for posturing may decrease, and we may actually see quicker movement!
Old 07-04-2016, 08:46 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

That vortex intake thing is for the European 2.0 engines, I think
Old 07-04-2016, 11:13 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
That vortex intake thing is for the European 2.0 engines, I think
Yeap it was. As I recall it was viewed rather skeptically as being able to actually bring the vehicles in line with the regulations.

As I also recall that was back when VAG was still leading us to believe it was a unintentional minor issue. Given what we have since learned it would seem that the skepticism was well placed and some of the more colorful responses to that fix were on point.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:14 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Good article in the New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/business/cu...big-punishment

Pretty much says that due to the top-down management of VW - they're likely to be on the skids..
Old 07-05-2016, 11:16 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A link from PCA mentioning a 3.0 fix not requiring a buyback...and I was thinking about what to get with the settlement money.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...and-volkswagen
Old 07-06-2016, 12:30 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I got a call from my dealer today saying "Get Ready for that Diesel Cayenne". I guess it will be now or never pretty soon.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:27 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
A link from PCA mentioning a 3.0 fix not requiring a buyback...and I was thinking about what to get with the settlement money.

I can't help but notice that nothing yet has been done to restore the CD market to near normal, nor is there much of a end date for an announcement of any resolution for the 3.0L. Thankfully I don't want to (yet) or need to (heaven forbid) trade out of this SUV. However, I should not have to worry about a fix changing the performance and reliability of my CD, and its' potential diminished value. Yes, I am just becoming a bit more than slightly annoyed with VAG/Audi/Porsche and Dieselgate.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:51 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Yes, I am just becoming a bit more than slightly annoyed with VAG/Audi/Porsche and Dieselgate.
Yeah I think I'm the most moderate about this whole thing, but I'm getting pretty irritated at how this has drug on. Past time to close the books on this and move on.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I got a call from my dealer today saying "Get Ready for that Diesel Cayenne". I guess it will be now or never pretty soon.
Ah what is your dealer smoking? LOL
Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I can't help but notice that nothing yet has been done to restore the CD market to near normal, nor is there much of a end date for an announcement of any resolution for the 3.0L. Thankfully I don't want to (yet) or need to (heaven forbid) trade out of this SUV. However, I should not have to worry about a fix changing the performance and reliability of my CD, and its' potential diminished value. Yes, I am just becoming a bit more than slightly annoyed with VAG/Audi/Porsche and Dieselgate.
Yes but take a look at what European owners are facing with their 2.0L cars.
http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...n=awdailydrive

Almost like VW has said f** that as any fix would bankrupt the entire organization with 8M cars affected. Sad!
Originally Posted by gnat
Yeah I think I'm the most moderate about this whole thing, but I'm getting pretty irritated at how this has drug on. Past time to close the books on this and move on.
Yes we'll be at 12+ mos soon since they withdrew them from the market. I doubt we'll see them back in the US as a new model for a bit.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:12 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
I doubt we'll see them back in the US as a new model for a bit.
I'm still betting that we won't see another diesel Porsche here in the US. The image has just been too damaged to those only casually interested in diesels.

I don't see any chance of it coming back for the final years of the 958 as it will take some time for them to clear the old inventory they are sitting on and both will negatively impact the other's sales.

I suppose a diesel in the next model (or maybe the Macan diesel finally coming over) will be dependent on how quickly they can unload the 15s and 16s that they've been sitting on. I still don't see a new 958 diesel in the cards, but a quick offloading could lead to them trying again as it would show that there is still a market.

I expect most dealers (PCNA orders?) will start off trying to get as near the original MSRP as they can. If they do that it will shoot themselves in the foot and slow down the sales.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:53 AM
docdent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that is frustrating is everyone is in the dark. There are rumors everywhere. But, very few facts. Has anyone with a CPO received verification from PCNA that their warranty is extended beyond 100k miles?
Old 07-08-2016, 12:52 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I'm still betting that we won't see another diesel Porsche here in the US. The image has just been too damaged to those only casually interested in diesels.

I don't see any chance of it coming back for the final years of the 958 as it will take some time for them to clear the old inventory they are sitting on and both will negatively impact the other's sales.

I suppose a diesel in the next model (or maybe the Macan diesel finally coming over) will be dependent on how quickly they can unload the 15s and 16s that they've been sitting on. I still don't see a new 958 diesel in the cards, but a quick offloading could lead to them trying again as it would show that there is still a market.

I expect most dealers (PCNA orders?) will start off trying to get as near the original MSRP as they can. If they do that it will shoot themselves in the foot and slow down the sales.
You may be right but ... here are my IF's that may quicken a return to US diesel market for Porsche.
1) the "fix" for the 3.0L is simple, minimal and has zero impact on fuel mileage and performance
2) the stop sale new inventory, when once cleared and stop sale removed, sells out at a record pace - I have no idea what that record pace is, but let's say in a few months,
3) CD customers who do not have and cannot get a CD keep pressuring dealers to order one.

Those are big if's and odds are slim, but if it happens, we may see a return of the diesel sooner than later.

And lastly, this is 100% pure speculation as we continue to wait for information ...
Old 07-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by TAch Miami

As was posted earlier, there is a difference between a buyback and a settlement payout. For the 2 liter engines, even if you don't take a buyback, you still get money.

Time will tell if we also get compensated.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213

Almost like VW has said f** that as any fix would bankrupt the entire organization with 8M cars affected. Sad!
Incorrect.

What they said was that they are not required to compensate the owners or buy back the cars. But they WILL fix them.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:03 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
You may be right but ... here are my IF's that may quicken a return to US diesel market for Porsche.
1) the "fix" for the 3.0L is simple, minimal and has zero impact on fuel mileage and performance
2) the stop sale new inventory, when once cleared and stop sale removed, sells out at a record pace - I have no idea what that record pace is, but let's say in a few months,
3) CD customers who do not have and cannot get a CD keep pressuring dealers to order one.

Those are big if's and odds are slim, but if it happens, we may see a return of the diesel sooner than later.

And lastly, this is 100% pure speculation as we continue to wait for information ...
As good as it is, sadly, I think the CD will die a slow death with this issue.
1)We all wish, but if it were an easy fix, it would be out there by now.
2)Flash in the pan type issue. As inventory won't be replenished any time soon, it will be a relief just to get them sold.
3)Unlikely now. The CD was a little darling when premium was going for $4+/Gal and rising. Who cares now? I would only wish for more power over the base Cayenne, which the Diesel has. If Porsche would bump the base engine's output to 350hp, the Diesel will be quickly forgotten. The other diesel attributes like range and torque for towing are important, but not deal killers over a good gas engine. WIth that chemical factory underneath cleaning the diesel exhaust and loss of reputation, the CD is on life support. Lastly- I've heard others say diesel and Porsche just don't go well together...obviously they've never driven a CD, but that is the perception.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue