Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020 | 08:29 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CayenneBlack
Ii smelled exhaust or some type of burn off for my first time too. I was parked outside and could still smell it with the windows down while driving. I wasn’t sure if something was trying to burn off.
Yes, I had the burnoff smell a few times, too, immediately after the update.

No, this was burned diesel exhaust smell. Not strong, but before this time, I could never small diesel exhaust. Wonder if the two have to do with DPF function or DEF dosing that the new flash adjusted?

Originally Posted by Vetch
I had previously written here that the new update allegedly did not include a re-write to the transmission control unit. I got this information from my sister's P dealer and from the guy on the Toureg forum who is putting the original factory shift coding back into post-fixed CD's. My sister had him flash back to the original factory TCU software over a year ago so that the CD would not hold the gears so long during warm up. She drives all 30 MPH roads to work and it's tedious to constantly manually up-shift. That worked out great.

But now it is gone after the new fix. It's back to staying in 3rd gear (instead of 5th) at 30 to 34 MPH during warmup. Worse, is that it appears to be holding this shift pattern until the CD is fully warmed up instead of partially warmed up as before.

So if you had your TCU de-updated, you will lose that with the new fix.
Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Funny enough the only "warm up stumble" I ever experienced was, well, pretty consistently... leaving my neighborhood. Speed limit is 35 but it's otherwise a residential street, so I accelerate up to 35 gradually. Seems the trans wants me at 33 or 37 because if I "level off" at 34-35... the shift to 4th is pretty rough.

The latest fix did nothing for that scenario. #shrug.

Otherwise... so far, so good. Still enjoying the update.
Yep, still have the 3rd gear hold during warmup. But at 35, it goes to 4th. It used to do so very angry and resentfully but now just a bit annoyed. And once it goes, it'll shift pretty normally, even slowing back under 35, though when it finally downshifts again, it'll hold 3rd until hitting 35 again. So in my vehicle, at least, it did fix that scenario. At least to a 95% solution; it still lets you know it's not happy about the shift, but now it just tells you rather than showing you.
Old 03-04-2020 | 07:33 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

I'm getting the update on Monday. Interesting regarding the DPF burnoff smell. I've smelled it very faintly here and there but, not like the BMW diesels I've owned. There would be times I'd walk into the garage and it smell like a McDonalds in there from the burnoff.

Now that I'm thinking about it I have never been prompted to fill my DEF with the current software and I've only topped it off once in about 30K miles. That was probably 15-20K ago. It seems like my X535d would only go 6-8K between filling the DEF. It will be interesting to see if DEF usage changes with the update.
Old 03-04-2020 | 11:41 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I'm getting the update on Monday. Interesting regarding the DPF burnoff smell. I've smelled it very faintly here and there but, not like the BMW diesels I've owned. There would be times I'd walk into the garage and it smell like a McDonalds in there from the burnoff.

Now that I'm thinking about it I have never been prompted to fill my DEF with the current software and I've only topped it off once in about 30K miles. That was probably 15-20K ago. It seems like my X535d would only go 6-8K between filling the DEF. It will be interesting to see if DEF usage changes with the update.
Do you change your own oil, or do you have the dealer do it?

I've been curious about DEF usage on mine too - but I have the dealer do the 5k oil changes. They always add DEF then. I've tried telling them in the past "Don't add DEF, I want to track it myself" and in the end, they forget I asked and top it off anyways.
Old 03-04-2020 | 01:47 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Do you change your own oil, or do you have the dealer do it?

I've been curious about DEF usage on mine too - but I have the dealer do the 5k oil changes. They always add DEF then. I've tried telling them in the past "Don't add DEF, I want to track it myself" and in the end, they forget I asked and top it off anyways.
I do it myself.
Old 03-11-2020 | 01:02 AM
CayenneBlack
Racer

I have a 14’ diesel and there seems to be like a fan like noise when I drive. The noise stops when’s I slow down to park. The car seems to drive fine (little bit more peppy). Has anyone else noticed this type of noise?
Old 03-11-2020 | 09:34 AM
Vetch
Racer

My sister's '14 CD sounds like a freagin' Dyson hover craft in the summer if the A/C is turned on. The fan is extraordinarily loud but gets slightly less loud when approaching a full stop. Never understood this. Dealer says "it's normal".
Old 03-11-2020 | 10:02 PM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Sometimes my made the dyson hover craft sound with the AC on. However, I don’t have the AC on it is still making some kind of similiar noise but not quite as loud.
Old 03-13-2020 | 12:18 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

I got the most recent update done last Friday, and wow, they did a good job with it... Seems to be much improved in nearly all driving situations, and most noticeably it's smooooooth and quiet... Very happy with the update, and it's probably really close to what it was before the original "fix".
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (03-15-2020)
Old 03-13-2020 | 12:00 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Got my two flashes done and DPF replacement done yesterday. Car drives nice. I do feel it upshifts earlier when the motor is warm now.
Old 03-14-2020 | 12:05 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Over the last two weeks I had the “fix” to repair the “fix” done on our ‘14 and ‘15 and both seem to run smoother and the transmission shifts more precise . Both run like new and the ‘14 has 104XXX miles on it and the ‘15 has over 70k both bought new and still under warranty. In fact they replaced the battery on the ‘15 last week under warranty. Been a good owning experience with Porsche stepping up and doubling our warranties and then sending us checks. Plan to keep them both for the foreseeable future ... comfortable, nimble, great mileage and power and tows well
Old 03-14-2020 | 04:36 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Got mine done yesterday and I concur with previous posts. Runs much better, especially when warming up. No more stumbling. Question for this of you that have had your CD prior to the recall. Does this new flash differ much from pre-fixed cars?
Old 03-14-2020 | 04:44 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrandPaJohn
Got mine done yesterday and I concur with previous posts. Runs much better, especially when warming up. No more stumbling. Question for this of you that have had your CD prior to the recall. Does this new flash differ much from pre-fixed cars?
It's been long enough since the original fix so it's difficult to say for sure, but I'd say it's really really close. I'm super happy with it.
Old 03-14-2020 | 07:02 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
It's been long enough since the original fix so it's difficult to say for sure, but I'd say it's really really close. I'm super happy with it.
I’ve had both of mine since new and this latest fix brings them back very close to original performance
Needsdecaf (03-15-2020)
Old 03-14-2020 | 10:59 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Also I noticed the cold engine shift point for 3rd gear is 2,600 RPM and not 3K like before. It also shifts up quicker than before which attributes to better mpg everyone else is noticing.
Old 03-15-2020 | 01:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Dropped off the ‘14 CD on Friday 3/6 for the diesel campaigns, my overdue 80k (I’m at 86k miles now) mile service, and to look at the coolant leak issue. Coolant leak done, was $$. 80k mile service done and $$ but a lot done including brake flush and diesel filter.

But the diesel campaigns. Oh my.

As others have said, I believe the car is 90% plus back to pre-fix behavior. No cold start rattle. Cold upshifts don’t hang forever and feel more natural. Still later than when new. But the lag is almost completely gone. And behavior off the line is completely transformed. I remember back to when it was new when the car had so much torque off the line that you had to be ginger with the throttle. I forgot what that was like. It’s now back.

While underway, the car tips in smoother with no lugging and rattle. The car still has some diesel lag but no longer is there throttle / ECU hesitation. The car downshifts quickly when needed. I couldn’t help myself on the way home from the dealer but punch it in traffic on the highway. The CD we bought is back!

Driving home from the dealer, I was giddy. I had my wife drive it to dinner and she was ecstatic. It’s her daily and she loves the car but has been sad about the post-fix behavior. She is psyched to have her car back.

Kids had Spring Break last week and now will be home all next week. We got the hell out of Houston and headed to the Hill Country for some pie and wildflowers. Drove a 200 mile loop and used barely over a quarter tank! Notice the DTE is still almost 500 miles. This was a mix of hill country back roads and plus MPH highways.

Overall, I’m very, very happy with this campaign. Our EGR cooler was checked and found to not need replacement. Get yours done now if you have a “fixed” diesel.

RS-America (03-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue