Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020 | 11:15 AM
lightemup67
Instructor

Originally Posted by 965pkg
I had the AKB6 recall done and am also very happy. Much better throttle response on my '15 CD

They also replaced the EGR and did a major intake cleaning from carbon build up all under warranty.

Apparently EGR coolant leak is quite common on the 3 liter tdi motors.
Did you have a check engine light on? How did you get them to do the EGR and intake cleaning?
Old 02-27-2020 | 12:28 AM
CayenneBlack
Racer

My 2014 car has finally been fixed. It took them 3 weeks to get the some parts. I had them do the original modification and they applied the latest recalls. I was holding out on the original fix based on the negative feedback here and was hoping they wouldn’t reach the requirement for the number of cars they had to modify before the April 2020 deadline. Now I can finally get paid.

After driving it for 25 miles on mixed highway and city roads, I feel like the car could be slightly more responsive than the prefix especially when I hit the pedal to the medal. I also tried sport mode and I can still feel the increase in power like others have reported. So that is good.

I did notice some stutter during one right turn I took. I braked like I normally do and then applied some gas coming out of the turn. At that exact moment when I hit the gas, the car stuttered but then went back to normal. I”ll continue to monitor to see if that comes back..
Old 02-27-2020 | 09:46 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Just had the recall done on ours, haven't gotten it back from the dealer yet and driven it. I'm curious to see how it feels.
Old 02-27-2020 | 10:09 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by YaNi
I haven't noticed any significant difference in fuel economy after a week of commuting. Easily within normal variation, unless the MFD is now actually reading correctly. It's usually reads almost 2 mpg higher than hand calcs.

They definite did a few things to improve the driveability and idle quality. The idle is definitely smoother, both cold and warm. There's a measurable amount less vibration coming through the center console.

It seems like they changed the valve timing in the tip in area. Previously, there was a significant amount of lag and also you could feel and hear the engine note change to a more mechanical growl. If you were below like 1800rpm, it did absolutely nothing unless it happened to downshift or engine speed slowly increased above 2000rpm. I noticed this was gone when I flashed the Malone stage 1 + EGR disable tune. They definitely improved this area; it's much quieter and torque response below say 2000rpm is miles quicker. They also changed the shift maps, so this problem is also masked by the fact that you don't usually tip in to this engine speed area anymore. I've found that you are usually 1-2 gears lower when you tip in now. There are a couple of sharp, low speed, 90deg right turns going into my development. One in particular that put the tip in right around 1500rpm and it did absolutely nothing for a good couple seconds when I'd press the accelerator to get back up to speed. Now I find it's closer to 2000rpm and the lag is pretty much gone. I've also put it into manual mode and select the higher gear to see if it was just a shift map change, but it's still drastically improved from how we received it with the Dieselgate "fix". Not quite as good as the EGR disable, but good enough that I don't currently feel the need to want to reflash it. I still need to talk to Malone to see if the regular stage 1 will need some updates for the new recall reflash.
Wait are you suggesting Malone changed the shift tuning?
Old 02-29-2020 | 09:10 AM
YaNi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Wait are you suggesting Malone changed the shift tuning?
No, they don't touch the trans. Disabling EGR has a huge affect on turbo lag.
Old 02-29-2020 | 06:02 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Well that's interesting... repositioned the car in the garage today to get under the dash and front seat and when I turned it off, I smelled diesel exhaust. First time ever from either of our two CDs. Before the fix, after the fix or since the AKB6 flash.
Old 02-29-2020 | 06:33 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

I'm bringing my '15 CD in for the re-calibration flash Monday. I have the warm up stumble so I hope this update relieves that issue.
Old 03-01-2020 | 10:56 AM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Originally Posted by skiahh
Well that's interesting... repositioned the car in the garage today to get under the dash and front seat and when I turned it off, I smelled diesel exhaust. First time ever from either of our two CDs. Before the fix, after the fix or since the AKB6 flash.
Ii smelled exhaust or some type of burn off for my first time too. I was parked outside and could still smell it with the windows down while driving. I wasn’t sure if something was trying to burn off.
Old 03-01-2020 | 10:58 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Had a chance to drive the CD yesterday for the first time since the software update. My wife said she couldn't tell a difference but that's not a surprise, she drives like a grandma to begin with!

I immediately noticed the presence of a throttle pedal again, ie, very little to no lag at all. Engine is much smoother, power ramps in more progressively. Sport mode is perfect, pretty much instant throttle response and it reminds me of sport mode from before the fix. Really happy with this update
Old 03-01-2020 | 12:29 PM
Vetch
Racer

I had previously written here that the new update allegedly did not include a re-write to the transmission control unit. I got this information from my sister's P dealer and from the guy on the Toureg forum who is putting the original factory shift coding back into post-fixed CD's. My sister had him flash back to the original factory TCU software over a year ago so that the CD would not hold the gears so long during warm up. She drives all 30 MPH roads to work and it's tedious to constantly manually up-shift. That worked out great.

But now it is gone after the new fix. It's back to staying in 3rd gear (instead of 5th) at 30 to 34 MPH during warmup. Worse, is that it appears to be holding this shift pattern until the CD is fully warmed up instead of partially warmed up as before.

So if you had your TCU de-updated, you will lose that with the new fix.
Old 03-02-2020 | 06:52 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

I had AKB6 installed today. The car seems a little livelier but it was warm so I couldn't check for the warm up stumble. Stay tuned.

My car before the AKB6 would hold 3rd gear when cold but then up shift afterwards. No 8th gear until above 50 MPH warm either.
Old 03-03-2020 | 03:23 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

I got the AKB6 service performed on my '15 today. One thing I hadn't seen mentioned in the thread here, the technician notes on my service say: "PERFORMED KICKDOWN AND RADIATOR SHUTTER ADAPTATIONS". I thought it was an interesting detail that the radiator flaps are involved.
Old 03-03-2020 | 12:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Funny enough the only "warm up stumble" I ever experienced was, well, pretty consistently... leaving my neighborhood. Speed limit is 35 but it's otherwise a residential street, so I accelerate up to 35 gradually. Seems the trans wants me at 33 or 37 because if I "level off" at 34-35... the shift to 4th is pretty rough.

The latest fix did nothing for that scenario. #shrug.

Otherwise... so far, so good. Still enjoying the update.
Old 03-03-2020 | 03:19 PM
965pkg
Track Day

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Did you have a check engine light on? How did you get them to do the EGR and intake cleaning?
No CEL. My coolant was disappearing (low coolant every 5-10k miles). At first they said, that was normal. When I pushed a little, they agreed to pressure test the system and it lost pressure over night.

I think the dealers are aware of the EGR cooler leak issue. The intake cleaning was by necessity since they had to disassemble everything.
Old 03-03-2020 | 03:59 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 965pkg
No CEL. My coolant was disappearing (low coolant every 5-10k miles). At first they said, that was normal. When I pushed a little, they agreed to pressure test the system and it lost pressure over night.

I think the dealers are aware of the EGR cooler leak issue. The intake cleaning was by necessity since they had to disassemble everything.
Hmm I'll have to pay close attention to this.

I haven't had any errors or anything BUT I have noticed, lately, it seems like the fans are running a lot. I never, EVER heard the fans running before - now every time I pull in the garage the fans are running. I wonder if it's starting to run low on coolant or something, but not yet low enough to trip the lamp.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue