Old 02-15-2020, 02:31 AM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I took mine in yesterday with three emissions faults:
P20EE - NOx catalyst efficiency
P0420 - Catalyst efficiency
P229F - Secondary NOx sensor

They replaced both NOx sensors. Said they must be installed in pairs, which doesn't make sense, but whatever. It's covered under warranty.

I hadn't received anything about this AKB6 update, but there was also WKH9. So there were 2 recalls I never was notified about.
The AKB6 was claimed to address the P20EE and P0420 faults, as well as stumbling during warmup. There was no mention of driveability improvement, but they don't specifically need to state that. Rule is you don't need to recertify for emissions or FE unless the change negatively affects emissions or FE in the operating modes (City, Hwy, US06).

The WKH9 is to check whether an incorrect EGR valve was installed previously. That's always an embarrassing recall... "we installed the wrong parts on some cars."
The drive home was mostly highway in traffic, so I didn't immediately notice a difference. Had a Macan loaner for 2 days; wow what an amazing transmission! Would be absolutely amazing in the Cayenne, if they could keep the tow rating 7700lbs.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:49 AM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 313 Posts

Update:

Wife said, ''The diesel shifts so much better now."
The latest update makes the diesel drive so much better.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (02-17-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 10:41 AM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Got our 14 back, and while 1st and 2nd gears shift in the same manner as before, 3rd gear definitely holds longer when the engine is cold. I think it started shifting as it did before above 110-120 F oil temperature. It took 4 days for them to finish the recalls (3 of them) but will need to go back in a week or two for oil leak repair.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:37 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by KBell

Thomas at St Louis Porsche hooked me up.
Got the latest tune.
Agree with above posts.
Drives much better!
Is that Umber? Rare color, and a good choice!
Old 02-17-2020, 12:59 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 313 Posts

Thank you
Yes it is Umber.
We have seen only 1 other in the same color.
You have a good eye.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:46 PM
avlis
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will echo the previous comments except I didn't have much complaints about drive-ability. Yeah there was some lag getting around tight city situations but that's not my regular driving situation. And maybe I just got used to it in the year I've owned it. Had the update done 2/14/2020 and, wow! Now I don't even notice the transmission shifting. It just does what it's supposed to. I can describe the change as: Now it drives like a normal car and that makes it a little more fun. Seems stronger probably because the transmission is in the proper gear or the lag is reduced. If you're hesitating getting this update, I suggest getting it done asap. I did not receive a letter, I just asked my dealer to look up the VIN and see if there were any updates.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:16 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Thank you
Yes it is Umber.
You have a good eye.
Our '14 is Umber.

Look at my avatar and you'll have seen 2 others!
Old 02-18-2020, 10:42 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Had the recall done on the '14 Cayenne last week along with some service but I have not driven it yet, They had to keep the vehicle as they found a steering linkage boot issue and had to order a part from Germany, probably coming by slow boat. Anyway we are driving a loaner Macan and my wife has the '15 CD which will get the recall done when we get the other '14 back. By the way the base Macan is a nimble little truck and I am impressed with the performance of the base engine. That said we plan on keeping the two CD's for as long as we can
Old 02-18-2020, 10:48 AM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Had the recall done on the '14 Cayenne last week along with some service but I have not driven it yet, They had to keep the vehicle as they found a steering linkage boot issue and had to order a part from Germany, probably coming by slow boat. Anyway we are driving a loaner Macan and my wife has the '15 CD which will get the recall done when we get the other '14 back. By the way the base Macan is a nimble little truck and I am impressed with the performance of the base engine. That said we plan on keeping the two CD's for as long as we can
I also had a 2 liter Macan as loaner and it was an impressive little SUV. I think it handles better than my 97 M3, but the engine sound was rather dreadful. At full throttle upshifts, it reminded me of engine notes of F1 v6 turbo hybrids, when they first came out. Just came back from a road trip with our 14 CD after the fix and my wife and I definitely prefer ours.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,115 Posts

my fix scheduled for thursday.

the base macan motor is very peaky. my wife has a 2020 S and it's great, really really good power and chassis feel is fantastic.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Thank you
Yes it is Umber.
You have a good eye.
Originally Posted by skiahh
Our '14 is Umber.

Look at my avatar and you'll have seen 2 others!
I see Umber 958's every now and then. In certain light, the gray ones can be mistaken for umber, so sometimes I get a false positive.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:33 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Thank you
Yes it is Umber.
You have a good eye.
Another Umber here.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:37 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

So far really enjoying the fix. Only complaint I might gave is slightly more steering wheel vibration at idle? I had very little before, so tough to tell. Not bad at all, just maybe more noticeable now. Still pleased. Improved mpg? Tough to say, but seeing some higher numbers on the recent trip stats.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:52 PM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I haven't noticed any significant difference in fuel economy after a week of commuting. Easily within normal variation, unless the MFD is now actually reading correctly. It's usually reads almost 2 mpg higher than hand calcs.

They definite did a few things to improve the driveability and idle quality. The idle is definitely smoother, both cold and warm. There's a measurable amount less vibration coming through the center console.

It seems like they changed the valve timing in the tip in area. Previously, there was a significant amount of lag and also you could feel and hear the engine note change to a more mechanical growl. If you were below like 1800rpm, it did absolutely nothing unless it happened to downshift or engine speed slowly increased above 2000rpm. I noticed this was gone when I flashed the Malone stage 1 + EGR disable tune. They definitely improved this area; it's much quieter and torque response below say 2000rpm is miles quicker. They also changed the shift maps, so this problem is also masked by the fact that you don't usually tip in to this engine speed area anymore. I've found that you are usually 1-2 gears lower when you tip in now. There are a couple of sharp, low speed, 90deg right turns going into my development. One in particular that put the tip in right around 1500rpm and it did absolutely nothing for a good couple seconds when I'd press the accelerator to get back up to speed. Now I find it's closer to 2000rpm and the lag is pretty much gone. I've also put it into manual mode and select the higher gear to see if it was just a shift map change, but it's still drastically improved from how we received it with the Dieselgate "fix". Not quite as good as the EGR disable, but good enough that I don't currently feel the need to want to reflash it. I still need to talk to Malone to see if the regular stage 1 will need some updates for the new recall reflash.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:13 AM
965pkg
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the AKB6 recall done and am also very happy. Much better throttle response on my '15 CD

They also replaced the EGR and did a major intake cleaning from carbon build up all under warranty.

Apparently EGR coolant leak is quite common on the 3 liter tdi motors.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue