Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 06:10 PM
asleep636
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you computed the actual MPG based on miles traveled and gallons of diesel filled? I found that the consumption rate displayed on the dash is about 2 mpg too high.

Last edited by asleep636; 02-11-2020 at 06:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-11-2020, 08:11 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by asleep636
Have you computed the actual MPG based on miles traveled and gallons of diesel filled? I found that the consumption rate displayed on the dash is about 2 mpg too high.
I haven't had the chance yet since the flash. Mine tends to run 1 - 1.5 mph optimistic, though.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:15 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

That's what I've determined from doing full tank calculations, filling as close to the same level as I can.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:17 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Expect it to be out of service about a week for the oil leak fix. And thank your lucky stars it's getting taken care of under warranty!
Yes! I've read it can be a week and they scheduled me last week to come in when they had a loaner available. My indie told me to also mention cold start rattle/clatter noise about the timing chain. We'll see if they can replicate that or cover it.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 AM
avlis
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here. Off by 2mpg.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:46 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

OK, two weeks in and I'd say the update is a 95ish% solution for Normal Mode. That is, there are still a couple of situations I've had what seems to be longer lag than should be there, but they are rare and I can live with them. Otherwise, driveability is very improved over what it was.

Zero herky-jerky transmission hijinks when cold. Or warm. Smooth shifting and the correct gear choices. It still holds high RPM to warm up, but they told us it would and I don't have any issue with that. It warms up pretty quickly and goes back to normal or, once you hit 35mpg, it shifts.

Speaking of that, when cold, at 35 mph, before the shift, it used to be "pissed" that it had to shift from 3 to 4, but now it's smooth and quick. And, if not happy, then definitely not angry about it.

Lag. Generally about 1 second, which seems normal for a turbo engine. Might have been better, but I can't remember the pre-fix lag... or lack thereof. And when it does spool up faster than the transmission (but not usual), the engagement is firm, but smooth where before it slammed together.

However, there are still some times where the lag is long. I still get it when slowing and then hitting the gas, but now rather than ~20mph, I'm much slower when it happens, say less than 15 mph. Where before it seemed like the computer was preparing for a stop as early as ~24 mph, now it seems to be below 15. And by preparing to stop, I mean that's where it is slow to respond when you tell it to go suddenly.

And there's one weird place where the lag is still exactly like it was before. There's one turn - 90 degree right turn with a bit of an uphill - where, after decelerating from ~40mph to make the turn, the lag is still the same as it was before (2-2.5 seconds). Though it doesn't slam together like before. Must be something about the sensors with the wheels turned past some point, vehicle angled up and whatever other sensor inputs there may be that causes the computer to balk at the request for power in that specific circumstance. I haven't tried that turn in Sport yet.

Gear selection. Before this update, the transmission seemed to always seek the highest possible gear (lowest RPM) and stubbornly hold onto that, engine lugging away, until forced to change by pressing foot deep into the accelerator range or the engine about to stall out. Now, it'll still seek the lowest RPM - even to the point of just lugging - but will be ready, able and willing to shift down at the slightest twitch of the accelerator or when the road tilts up (though absent accelerator movement, it's not quite as quick here, but not stubbornly refusing anymore). It's quick to shift when needed and does so firmly and smoothly in just about all conditions I've experienced in ~500 miles since the fix, including around town and highway. Sea level up to about 4000'.

MPG does seem to be better, though it's only been one tank, so far, so time will tell on that. Combined was 25.7 (hand calculated) on this tank with half highway and half around town.

Acceleration from a stop is the same or maybe a bit stronger. Roll on power at highway speeds is good. Bit of turbo lag and then firm but smooth engagement. Haven't done any timed runs, though. Lane changes and mid-speed roll on power feels pretty normal, now; significantly better than before this flash. Not perfect, as noted above, but most definitely acceptable. And quite possibly very close to what it was pre-fix... I just can't remember.

I'm going to take the '14 in for its flash.

On to Sport mode experimentation now.

Oh, and one other thing. Shortly after the fix, I'd smell that new car/part smell that I interpret as some manufacturing coating or lubricant burning off. That was about the first couple hundred miles. Higher temps in the DPF or something?
Old 02-13-2020, 06:41 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
OK, two weeks in and I'd say the update is a 95ish% solution for Normal Mode. That is, there are still a couple of situations I've had what seems to be longer lag than should be there, but they are rare and I can live with them. Otherwise, driveability is very improved over what it was.

Zero herky-jerky transmission hijinks when cold. Or warm. Smooth shifting and the correct gear choices. It still holds high RPM to warm up, but they told us it would and I don't have any issue with that. It warms up pretty quickly and goes back to normal or, once you hit 35mpg, it shifts.

Speaking of that, when cold, at 35 mph, before the shift, it used to be "pissed" that it had to shift from 3 to 4, but now it's smooth and quick. And, if not happy, then definitely not angry about it.

Lag. Generally about 1 second, which seems normal for a turbo engine. Might have been better, but I can't remember the pre-fix lag... or lack thereof. And when it does spool up faster than the transmission (but not usual), the engagement is firm, but smooth where before it slammed together.

However, there are still some times where the lag is long. I still get it when slowing and then hitting the gas, but now rather than ~20mph, I'm much slower when it happens, say less than 15 mph. Where before it seemed like the computer was preparing for a stop as early as ~24 mph, now it seems to be below 15. And by preparing to stop, I mean that's where it is slow to respond when you tell it to go suddenly.

And there's one weird place where the lag is still exactly like it was before. There's one turn - 90 degree right turn with a bit of an uphill - where, after decelerating from ~40mph to make the turn, the lag is still the same as it was before (2-2.5 seconds). Though it doesn't slam together like before. Must be something about the sensors with the wheels turned past some point, vehicle angled up and whatever other sensor inputs there may be that causes the computer to balk at the request for power in that specific circumstance. I haven't tried that turn in Sport yet.

Gear selection. Before this update, the transmission seemed to always seek the highest possible gear (lowest RPM) and stubbornly hold onto that, engine lugging away, until forced to change by pressing foot deep into the accelerator range or the engine about to stall out. Now, it'll still seek the lowest RPM - even to the point of just lugging - but will be ready, able and willing to shift down at the slightest twitch of the accelerator or when the road tilts up (though absent accelerator movement, it's not quite as quick here, but not stubbornly refusing anymore). It's quick to shift when needed and does so firmly and smoothly in just about all conditions I've experienced in ~500 miles since the fix, including around town and highway. Sea level up to about 4000'.

MPG does seem to be better, though it's only been one tank, so far, so time will tell on that. Combined was 25.7 (hand calculated) on this tank with half highway and half around town.

Acceleration from a stop is the same or maybe a bit stronger. Roll on power at highway speeds is good. Bit of turbo lag and then firm but smooth engagement. Haven't done any timed runs, though. Lane changes and mid-speed roll on power feels pretty normal, now; significantly better than before this flash. Not perfect, as noted above, but most definitely acceptable. And quite possibly very close to what it was pre-fix... I just can't remember.

I'm going to take the '14 in for its flash.

On to Sport mode experimentation now.

Oh, and one other thing. Shortly after the fix, I'd smell that new car/part smell that I interpret as some manufacturing coating or lubricant burning off. That was about the first couple hundred miles. Higher temps in the DPF or something?
Good write up. I agree with everything you said. The car drives much better now and I love the more even throttle response. Sport mode is a noticeable difference now.

FWIW the service tech felt it necessary to clearly state "Porsche got a lot of complaints about shifting and lag after the fix, but this is the last update Porsche will do to these cars".
Old 02-13-2020, 09:17 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Good write up. I agree with everything you said. The car drives much better now and I love the more even throttle response. Sport mode is a noticeable difference now.

FWIW the service tech felt it necessary to clearly state "Porsche got a lot of complaints about shifting and lag after the fix, but this is the last update Porsche will do to these cars".
I'm OK with that. I think they got it right.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:19 AM
Vetch
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

... the service tech felt it necessary to clearly state "... this is the last update Porsche will do to these cars".
Service advisors were saying that after the last "update", but here we are. I'm guessing that service tech didn't have a direct line to PAG.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:21 AM
Vetch
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
...Gear selection. Before this update, the transmission seemed to always seek the highest possible gear (lowest RPM) and stubbornly hold onto that, engine lugging away, until forced to change by pressing foot deep into the accelerator range or the engine about to stall out. Now, it'll still seek the lowest RPM - even to the point of just lugging - but will be ready, able and willing to shift down at the slightest twitch of the accelerator or when the road tilts up (though absent accelerator movement, it's not quite as quick here, but not stubbornly refusing anymore). It's quick to shift when needed and does so firmly and smoothly in just about all conditions I've experienced in ~500 miles since the fix, including around town and highway. Sea level up to about 4000'.
I'm not denying that this is true but this update allegedly does not involve any change to the TCU.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:44 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vetch
I'm not denying that this is true but this update allegedly does not involve any change to the TCU.
Maybe the TCU was doing it's job correctly and it was the ECU screwing it all up? I don't know, but it works a lot better now, whatever magic they did.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:07 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Just got mine back this morning and have driven 25 miles. Haven't noticed too much difference yet, still somes to be some lag off idle at a green light but maybe comes on more smoothly, as someone said. Haven't tried Sport mode yet.

Had to schedule my oil leak repair for a week out, as they have one in the shop doing it now that won't be done til end of next week and it's using the 1 transmission cradle they have in that size? I opted to bring the loaner (2020 Base with 300 miles) back and drive mine.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:08 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 309 Posts

Thomas at St Louis Porsche hooked me up.
Got the latest tune.
Agree with above posts.
Drives much better!
Old 02-14-2020, 08:08 PM
asleep636
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd to give a fair warning to Californians about Smog Check after the software update.

I just did the AKB6 update for my 2016 CD today. Since I have to renew my registration that is due next week with a smog check, I picked up the car from the dealer and went directly to a smog check station. I FAILED the test because they cannot get the engine performance past history from the OBD because the data has been reset by the AKB6 update! I need to drive a couple of hundred miles and then do the smog test and pay them again. Don't wish you to repeat the same mistake I made.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:12 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I'd to give a fair warning to Californians about Smog Check after the software update.

I just did the AKB6 update for my 2016 CD today. Since I have to renew my registration that is due next week with a smog check, I picked up the car from the dealer and went directly to a smog check station. I FAILED the test because they cannot get the engine performance past history from the OBD because the data has been reset by the AKB6 update! I need to drive a couple of hundred miles and then do the smog test and pay them again. Don't wish you to repeat the same mistake I made.
I’m surprised the dealer didn’t advise you that would be an issue. Usually mine is looking for anything they can bill for so they notice things like inspection being due soon.

Also, this warning applies to anyone anywhere who needs their vehicle to pass an emissions readiness test for state inspection. It is also applicable if you recently cleared a check engine light.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue