Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 08:21 PM
schwarz633
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2014 CD, got AKB6 & WKH9 campaign letters today.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:26 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayze
I have also been a holdout, but finally gave in and took my CD to get the fix and the DEF heater recall done on December 20th. They have had the car for over a week now and although there have been two weekends and Christmas in that time period, it does sound like a long time. Has anyone else had either of these recalls take This long? They told me last week they were still waiting for one more part (I assume that is for the heater since I thought the emissions fix for a 2015 is only programming.
Just curious why you would decide now to have the recall done? It's too late to collect any of the settlement funds, correct? I too have held out... today's "fix of the fix" letter, many of us received today have me questioning my decision-- IF, BIG IF-- it actually performs close to original.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:40 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
So I had an engine repair done on my CD (2013, 119K miles) that was surprisingly NOT covered by any of the extended warranty, so I thought I'd share the knowledge I gained in the process...

In my case I had a coolant leak right in the V of the engine caused by part number 958-106-737-04. It's part of the cooling circuit for the EGR system, and is buried under the intake manifold. It appears to have been leaking for some time, and I found the leak thanks to the community here, and was able to point it out to the dealership when their initial investigation came up empty... Originally the dealership submitted it under warranty, and in the research they did before the repair, they believed it was covered under the extended warranty that covers the engine, especially since it is partially related to the emissions system.

Turns-out that Porsche kicked it back to them, which surprised everyone at the service department. They tried a few different ways of submitting it, but they could not get Porsche to accept it... From my understanding, Porsche has tightened things up a little bit in terms of what they will cover, and there is now a database of parts that the service department needs to cross-check to see if that part/repair is covered under the extended warranty...

In my case, the cause of the leak is not in that database, so Porsche would not cover it.

The dealership cut me a deal on the repair, and I'm good with the situation (since I told them initially I would be willing to pay for the repair if it wasn't covered), so I'm just writing this off as a learning experience.
That makes no sense whatsoever. Check your emissions fix booklet. Mine says specifically EGR cooling parts are covered:

Originally Posted by warranty fix booklet
The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (“EGR”) system, including EGR valve, EGR bypass valve, EGR cooler, EGR filter, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators;
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of wiggle room in there for certain parts when it says all related hoses, pipes, sensors and actuators along with the cooler itself.

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
I'm guessing at least one of these is the same one the Touareg folks received a few weeks ago (there is a link in this thread a little further up)... I went to that thread and saw this, which sounds promising:

Ok, so I pulled the trigger and had this reflash performed. The dealer was very busy, so they held my vehicle overnight which I didn't mind.
First impressions picking up a dead cold vehicle from the dealer is that the Transmission still behaves the same way holding gears until it's warmed up. I did however immediately notice that the pedal response is no longer delayed or hesitant, but linear in it's engagement. I've never driven pre-fix, and so I've only had the post fix driving experience. One of my biggest gripes about my TDI has always been pressing the pedal and waiting 1-2 seconds for something to happen wether it be boost build, downshift etc. What they've seen to have done is instead of the lag between drivers wish and any reaction, there's now a small ramp up from the moment you press down on the accelerator to what you want to happen. I havn't driven on it long enough to see how it'll affect my mpg, I'll check that on one week after a full tank. On the highway, it's quite linear when it gets into power, not so boomy and revy. On my daily commute which has me drive up hills the transmission wouldn't downshift where it usually does. Hope this helps out anyone wondering what this new ECM update is about, simply put driveability improvements from the initial recall is what it feels like.
Given the transmission hunting (causing an apparent shudder when cold )and the throttle response delay, I'll have to give it a try on the '15. The '14, however... well, we'll see how it goes on the '15 first.

Correction: the letter that came for the '14 is for possible incorrect parts used on the EGR cooler. Not sure we've ever had any work done on the EGR on that vehicle, so I'll check when the '15 is in for the campaign flash.

Last edited by skiahh; 01-13-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:11 PM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Just curious why you would decide now to have the recall done? It's too late to collect any of the settlement funds, correct? I too have held out... today's "fix of the fix" letter, many of us received today have me questioning my decision-- IF, BIG IF-- it actually performs close to original.
if you registered, you have until April to get the fix. My understanding is if your car isn’t fixed by the April date (even if your car is at the dealership for the fix, but not completed), then you don’t get the settlement. Therefore, don’t cut it too close if you are planning to fix it.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:23 PM
Kayze
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the 958.1 had to be done by the end of 2019. I have the 958.2 and had until April 2020, but decided to have it done by the end off December....money was in my account 48 hours later.
i have 500 miles on the CD since the fix and am happy with the fix. I have had no performance issues or hesitation. The shifting pattern is different closer to being in sport mode....and now sport mode does not make much change. It has been relatively cool in Florida over the past few weeks so I am hoping there is no performance degradation as it gets hotter
Old 01-14-2020, 10:01 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

Got the letters from Porsche the other day, called my dealer. They told me they haven't received anything from Porsche yet for this and we have to wait until they do before the software update can be done.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:20 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm going in for service on Saturday (routine), I'll see if my dealer has any other deets. No letter in the mail for me, yet.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:49 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm actually sort of excited about this new campaign, if it does perform the way the Touareg guys report. Further, if it cures the engine shutter, I'll be happy. I look forward to getting my letter.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:57 PM
bwbob
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayze
I think the 958.1 had to be done by the end of 2019. I have the 958.2 and had until April 2020, but decided to have it done by the end off December....money was in my account 48 hours later.
i have 500 miles on the CD since the fix and am happy with the fix. I have had no performance issues or hesitation. The shifting pattern is different closer to being in sport mode....and now sport mode does not make much change. It has been relatively cool in Florida over the past few weeks so I am hoping there is no performance degradation as it gets hotter
Incorrect - 3.0L gen 2 TDI's have to be done by April 30th per the website, not 958.2's.

April 30, 2020 – Deadline to Complete Emissions Compliant Repair: Deadline to complete an Emissions Compliant Repair. The 3.0-Liter Settlement Program will end on April 30, 2020. If you delay scheduling your Emissions Compliant Repair appointment, we cannot guarantee appointment availability for an Emissions Compliant Repair on the date and time and at the Dealer you desire, particularly given parts availability. If you delay scheduling your Emissions Compliant Repair appointment with your preferred Dealer, you may be unable to find an available appointment at your preferred Dealer prior to the April 30, 2020 deadline.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Those of you who have received the letter - what comes up when you put your VIN in here? https://recall.porsche.com/prod/pag/...f/VIN?ReadForm
Old 01-14-2020, 03:11 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Those of you who have received the letter - what comes up when you put your VIN in here? https://recall.porsche.com/prod/pag/...f/VIN?ReadForm
Don't think "campaigns" come up as a recall.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:13 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Nothing comes-up, but I don't think this is considered a recall.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:01 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by bwbob
Incorrect - 3.0L gen 2 TDI's have to be done by April 30th per the website, not 958.2's.

April 30, 2020 – Deadline to Complete Emissions Compliant Repair: Deadline to complete an Emissions Compliant Repair. The 3.0-Liter Settlement Program will end on April 30, 2020. If you delay scheduling your Emissions Compliant Repair appointment, we cannot guarantee appointment availability for an Emissions Compliant Repair on the date and time and at the Dealer you desire, particularly given parts availability. If you delay scheduling your Emissions Compliant Repair appointment with your preferred Dealer, you may be unable to find an available appointment at your preferred Dealer prior to the April 30, 2020 deadline.
incorrect. Claim submission period has ended

Old 01-14-2020, 05:27 PM
bwbob
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
incorrect. Claim submission period has ended
the discussion was about when the fix had to be done on 958's, not about the other various dates.
What I posted was correct and on topic - the fix by date is by April 30th for the $'s and powertrain warranty extension
Old 01-14-2020, 05:49 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Scheduled my service for tomorrow morning.

Got a text from my SA asking me to scan in the letter and send it to him because he has no information on the campaign. Hmmm. If it's just a flash, I'd hope their PIWIS system could just log into the mother ship and download it.

Haven't heard back yet on whether I'll be keeping the appointment.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue