Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 04:52 PM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit

If your mother can feel a difference in “oomph,” I’m sure it’s there and won’t doubt her one bit. I think we all can agree that if we wanted to look into the comparison of before and after, it wasn’t for the better. Plain and simple.

Has anyone verified the new Maroney and the old window sticker (I have mine) that states the torque and horsepower figures and at what RPM’s?

As for the numbers provided to us regarding dyno readings from the man that travails Tundra, it’s interesting to see an average of 17% loss. I’m still thinking the sniffer and O2 testing power numbers are off a bit due to the way the cheat was calibrated.

For those that have followed, it looks like an appeal/claim of sorts will be made against VW for not wanting to pay for those registered and approved prior to the emission release and after the opportunity to VIN check at dealership.
yes and she is not picky at all, I'm the one, but she is fine with the car, she didn't complain, only comment was that it was not as fast as before, my understanding she is referring not the same torque as before, noise, no complaints but I can tell on the exterior sounds more like a diesel then before.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:51 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Just to add another data point, just picked up a 2016 untitled CD. I think it drives great! Plenty of torque and cannot tell a difference from prior test drives. Having never owned one before I may be missing subtle differences but quite happy with my new car warranty and 20% off MSRP on a car Porsche will never make again.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:04 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on your 2016 CD and 20% off MSRP is better than most taking 15% off MSRP on untitled and unpunched 2016 CD. How many miles did it have upon purchase?

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by TrackJunke
Just to add another data point, just picked up a 2016 untitled CD. I think it drives great! Plenty of torque and cannot tell a difference from prior test drives. Having never owned one before I may be missing subtle differences but quite happy with my new car warranty and 20% off MSRP on a car Porsche will never make again.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:38 PM
dcastar
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

Vehicle has been back at the dealer SIX separate times now. Area field technician drove it and "couldn't replicate". And yet, when I drive it, it's quite easy to replicate.

I am now creating a "highlights" compilation video with my dashcam, everytime it stutters, you can hear the engine clatter, then cut out/stutter, then kick back in.

Have noted, it does seem to stutter more frequently when the temperature is slightly above freezing. IE; 35-45F. When the temp is under 32F, it still clatters, but doesn't stutter. That, at least, has been the one commonality.
2nd note : Field technician drove the car on a colder day... in the 20s.

Once again, for all those keeping score: 2013 Cayenne Diesel ~53k miles... ~1200 miles on it since the fix; And the stuttering only began after the diesel fix.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:27 PM
bryanwares
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Is your car not punched by the dealer before selling? I am looking for new 2016 CD not neutered!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:22 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome glad you pulled the trigger, I knew you would be happy with and it will get better gas mileage as she gets broken in

also may want to look into getting a tuning box to boost up hp/tq
Old 12-21-2017, 10:51 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I didn't. Dyno shop uses doesn't have a tie to the front wheels and I got busy.... are those at the wheels numbers? not horrible!
Spyerx, These pre-fix dyno numbers are at the wheels. Note that these numbers are normalized for temperature. If you do get to see what the post-fix numbers are, would really like to see them.
Lots of talk here on what folks 'think' their Cayenne is doing post fix. Actual dyno numbers pre and post 'fix' are the only way to really see what changed.
Still not convinced the 'fix' is for us. Where we drive, low end torque is essential.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:52 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanwares
Congrats! Is your car not punched by the dealer before selling? I am looking for new 2016 CD not neutered!
They're not neutered, fortunately. Slightly tweaked, but far, far from neutered.

And you can't get an un-tweaked, unpunched (new) 2016 CD. Dealers aren't allowed to sell them; they must be fixed before they are allowed to be sold.

Well, I suppose you could go outside the US and bring one back... but I suspect you'd have to get it fixed (at the bare minimum) to import one.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:12 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dcastar
Update:

Vehicle has been back at the dealer SIX separate times now. Area field technician drove it and "couldn't replicate". And yet, when I drive it, it's quite easy to replicate.

I am now creating a "highlights" compilation video with my dashcam, everytime it stutters, you can hear the engine clatter, then cut out/stutter, then kick back in.

Have noted, it does seem to stutter more frequently when the temperature is slightly above freezing. IE; 35-45F. When the temp is under 32F, it still clatters, but doesn't stutter. That, at least, has been the one commonality.

Once again, for all those keeping score: 2013 Cayenne Diesel ~53k miles... ~1200 miles on it since the fix; And the stuttering only began after the diesel fix.
After speaking with class council this morning about a few things, it was brought up that there is a significant contingent not happy with the fix. His words, not mine. He went so far as to say that possible further meditation or a far less plausible buy back might be in order, but ideas nonetheless were brought up. For those happy, I congratulate you in settling for that fix short or long term. As noted prior, these are the last Diesels to be made for sometime. I’m in it for the long haul and cannot justify a fix no matter the payment. I’d suggest calling your appointed attorney and letting them know what’s going on. If not, speak directly to the firm out in San Francisco to get the ball rolling.

As a side, I can’t tell you how many dealers called asking if I wanted a stop sale Cayenne. The dealers who have said they have a long list of potential customers is nothing more than” fluff.” It’s akin to $225k ADM on a $165-170k GT3 at a local dealer.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:24 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

My understanding of untitled and unpunched 2016 CD is that US dealers still have to provide the fix per court settlement before they can be sold, which is less intrusive than what have to be done on 2015 or older CD. These 2016 CD untitled and unpunched (never used as demos) are the ones that are typically being sold by dealers at 15% to 20% off MSRP. Some have less than 100 miles on the odometer, practically 2016 brand new.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by skiahh
They're not neutered, fortunately. Slightly tweaked, but far, far from neutered.

And you can't get an un-tweaked, unpunched (new) 2016 CD. Dealers aren't allowed to sell them; they must be fixed before they are allowed to be sold.

Well, I suppose you could go outside the US and bring one back... but I suspect you'd have to get it fixed (at the bare minimum) to import one.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:45 AM
bryanwares
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
After speaking with class council this morning about a few things, it was brought up that there is a significant contingent not happy with the fix. His words, not mine. He went so far as to say that possible further meditation or a far less plausible buy back might be in order, but ideas nonetheless were brought up. For those happy, I congratulate you in settling for that fix short or long term. As noted prior, these are the last Diesels to be made for sometime. I’m in it for the long haul and cannot justify a fix no matter the payment. I’d suggest calling your appointed attorney and letting them know what’s going on. If not, speak directly to the firm out in San Francisco to get the ball rolling.

As a side, I can’t tell you how many dealers called asking if I wanted a stop sale Cayenne. The dealers who have said they have a long list of potential customers is nothing more than” fluff.” It’s akin to $225k ADM on a $165-170k GT3 at a local dealer.

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Drove my 2014 with the fix for 600 miles. I've posted my findings which were similar to others.I sold mine back to my dealer today with 28080 miles. It was putting it lightly in exception condition. The sales manager was very impressed. Brand new DWS tires, floor mats never used, paint polished, always garaged and smells new, and I filled it up for them. It will be interesting to see what they list it for.

I was going to buy a 2009 Cayenne GTS while there that came from another dealer but my dealer was doing the PPI. They said it needed new air shocks so that killed the deal. So i'm without Cayenne for a little bit. Have a couple more to look at including rennlist'ers. I'm looking for a well kept older one.
​​​​​​​
I might make a call as well. Looks like the issue is with <2014 model year cars where most everyone reported disappointing outcome, whereas 2015/16 cars have only software flash for the fix and no significant issues reported.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:57 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanwares
​​​​​​​I might make a call as well. Looks like the issue is with <2014 model year cars where most everyone reported disappointing outcome, whereas 2015/16 cars have only software flash for the fix and no significant issues reported.
Not sure I would agree with "most everyone". I've seen a couple of posts reporting issues, but most report no significant changes on their '14s; me included.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Intercity Lines
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed about Hoffman's service...Ethan and his crew are great to work with. My '16CD goes to them next month for the fix
1-800-221-3936 x205
jim@intercitylines.com
www.intercitylines.com

'69 MBZ 6.3
'16 Cayenne
'32 Ford highboy, Cadillac powered
Old 12-22-2017, 01:23 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I haven't gotten the 2nd check either yet
Old 12-22-2017, 06:30 PM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcastar
Update:

This is so scary, I am waiting until 2019 or close to 100K miles, whichever comes first before I take my CD to get neutered. I must stay strong and focus, do not think about the 2nd check...

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue