Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018 | 06:36 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Originally Posted by BenCD
You are right. Until there dead Cayenne Diesel owners-now this is a good one, as if people are counting on you to pass before they T-Bone you, which third world country are you driving in that these close calls, where people are relying on the flow of traffic to NOT narrowly miss someone pulling out of a driving situation is this happening in?
I've been almost rear-ended making turns onto steep hills near my house when the car just stops moving forward... Not my fault or driving style. A 3 second delay in a major metropolitan area is an eternity when turning.
Old 09-08-2018 | 10:51 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

I guess I am one of the lucky ones who don't have a post fix issue. Does it help when you manually downshift using paddle while your CD is at a complete stop or rolling waiting to accelerate. This shifts to manual mode and does the car respond better without going to sport mode? Maybe this will lock the converter to gearbox.
Old 09-09-2018 | 11:25 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

No - the only time I've found "manual mode" to work is when I actually move the gear lever over to HOLD a gear. Then I can floor it and the truck will respond slightly? better.
Old 09-09-2018 | 01:06 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

You guys need to get your CD's looked at by the dealer again. If they say, "normal operation", take it to another dealer. My CD was doing that exact same post fix behavior but luckily it threw a CEL. A set of EGT sensors, new catalytic convertor and reflash on the DME and now it's driving like it had been before.

I suspect your CD's need the same...
Old 09-09-2018 | 08:17 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Interesting. EGT?

Wonder how bad EGT sensors would cause the engine to not respond for a couple of seconds.
Old 09-10-2018 | 12:23 PM
hammerdog
Advanced

I have not obtained the emissions fix yet so I don’t have any of the issues related to the severe delay in acceleration. Has anyone experiencing these issues filed a complaint with NHTSA? The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has a complaint procedure on their website in which you can report safety issues related to your vehicle. If your dealer is not able to resolve an issue concerning the safety of you vehicle, you have nothing to lose if you file a complaint. Here is the link if anyone is interested in filing a complaint.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
Old 09-10-2018 | 02:26 PM
daleman
6th Gear

Thanks Hammerdog. Just did as you suggested. Here are the comments I submitted to NHTSA:"Upon completion of modifications due to Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche 3.0L Diesel Emissions Settlement Program the vehicle has an intermittent delay when accelerating. This delay is unpredictable and can be several seconds in duration. Once acceleration is applied it is too much power and again unpredictable in results. Appears to be related to outside temperature. Over 80(F) is when most troublesome. When crossing intersections and accelerating to get on the highway is when the safety aspect is obvious.Porsche has stated this is a normal aftereffect from the modification and my vehicle is working within the parameters set forth by the CARB agreement." just in case others want to submit and if they have the same issue feel free to cut & paste.Got my confirmation number and will see what happens.
Old 09-10-2018 | 06:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
You guys need to get your CD's looked at by the dealer again. If they say, "normal operation", take it to another dealer. My CD was doing that exact same post fix behavior but luckily it threw a CEL. A set of EGT sensors, new catalytic convertor and reflash on the DME and now it's driving like it had been before.

I suspect your CD's need the same...
That wouldn't explain why my car is almost like it's former self when in Sport mode.

I'm going with the programming angle here.
Old 09-10-2018 | 07:53 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daleman
Thanks Hammerdog. Just did as you suggested. Here are the comments I submitted to NHTSA:"Upon completion of modifications due to Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche 3.0L Diesel Emissions Settlement Program the vehicle has an intermittent delay when accelerating. This delay is unpredictable and can be several seconds in duration. Once acceleration is applied it is too much power and again unpredictable in results. Appears to be related to outside temperature. Over 80(F) is when most troublesome. When crossing intersections and accelerating to get on the highway is when the safety aspect is obvious.Porsche has stated this is a normal aftereffect from the modification and my vehicle is working within the parameters set forth by the CARB agreement." just in case others want to submit and if they have the same issue feel free to cut & paste.Got my confirmation number and will see what happens.
Please don't speculate on why the issue is happening. If you're going to report the issue, just report the issue.

Up here in the Pacific Northwest, our temps are typically cooler and we're at sea level, too, where I am. I have the delay at temps from the 50s to the 90s, so far; the delay does NOT appear to be impacted by temperature in any way.

Let the engineers figure it out by being forced to address a safety concern and common issue that applies to all affected vehicles. Let them collect data points about temp, engine operating paramaters, etc etc. If we all put in something different for when it's happening, they'll discard the issue and chock it up to driver differences. If and when the complaints force action, they'll start surveying owners with (and without!) the issue to determine similarities (temp, altitude, EGR status, EGT senors, etc etc etc) to find the commonalities.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
That wouldn't explain why my car is almost like it's former self when in Sport mode.

I'm going with the programming angle here.
I agree it's a programming thing, personally. But who knows, it could be EGR, EGT, some sensor or something else.

My Sport mode has little to no impact. It's like it's been programmed out of the system.

Old 09-11-2018 | 10:03 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh

My Sport mode has little to no impact. It's like it's been programmed out of the system.
Very strange. That's more in line with what the fix was suggested to be. I wonder why mine is still responsive? Granted, i didn't use Sport much at all before, so I don't know how it compares pre- vs. post-fix, however if you press the button now, there is still a noticeable difference between it and normal mode.

Very odd.
Old 09-11-2018 | 02:57 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

The '14 still has some Sport mode left, but it is de-tuned. Better than the '15, though.
Old 09-11-2018 | 05:38 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Sport mode makes a pretty big difference on our 15, but it did before the fix too
Old 09-12-2018 | 07:34 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

After being up in the mountains for the last few days, in a lot of 25-35mph zones, the throttle response at low speeds is truly horrendous. I didn't get the 2-3 second dead spot but, I did get a lot of weird behavior I would attribute to the transmission software. The engine would either try to accelerate and the trans was in way too high of a gear and lug badly or the engine would gain rpm but, the vehicle didn't accelerate to match the gain in RPM, like the torque converter wasn't locking up. Either situation results in the same effect as the 2-3 non-response, feed in more and more throttle and then BAM way more power than you wanted. Not fun on twisty switch backs on the side of a mountain.

My wife kept getting mad because she thought I was screwing around trying to be Colin McRae in the hills above Monte Carlo or something. Obviously we survived but, man it really took the fun out of the drive. I apologize to whoever was in the black Cayman that lives in WildCat Cliffs behind me, I wasn't deliberately messing up your fun. I'd be totally dead in the water out of a corner and then 2 seconds later I'd take off like a bat out of hell. Must of looked like a pretty interesting driving style. Haha.
Old 09-12-2018 | 12:05 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

^^^ if you believe it is the transmission software that is causing the behavior, you may want to contact member yrk928. From the Toaureg forum, it looks like his Cayenne transmission software mod is almost up to fruition
Old 09-12-2018 | 12:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
After being up in the mountains for the last few days, in a lot of 25-35mph zones, the throttle response at low speeds is truly horrendous. I didn't get the 2-3 second dead spot but, I did get a lot of weird behavior I would attribute to the transmission software. The engine would either try to accelerate and the trans was in way too high of a gear and lug badly or the engine would gain rpm but, the vehicle didn't accelerate to match the gain in RPM, like the torque converter wasn't locking up. Either situation results in the same effect as the 2-3 non-response, feed in more and more throttle and then BAM way more power than you wanted. Not fun on twisty switch backs on the side of a mountain.

My wife kept getting mad because she thought I was screwing around trying to be Colin McRae in the hills above Monte Carlo or something. Obviously we survived but, man it really took the fun out of the drive. I apologize to whoever was in the black Cayman that lives in WildCat Cliffs behind me, I wasn't deliberately messing up your fun. I'd be totally dead in the water out of a corner and then 2 seconds later I'd take off like a bat out of hell. Must of looked like a pretty interesting driving style. Haha.
LOL my wife gets pissed at me too. Try a gentle right turn from a 35mph road to a 55mph road, roll through the turn and start applying throttle.... nothing... nothing... turn complete... nothing... we're now ON the 55mph road... noth-WHAMMO we've now downshifted 5 gears and have 3800rpm on tap.

Wife looks over at me like, "WTF?" She then assumes I'm pissed off about something (reasonable considering by that point I have a pissed off look on my face) and we all know how that goes...

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue