Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 04:06 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I am torn on the fix. I drove a demo with the fix and didn't hate it enough to leave $10k on the table. But I did not love it either. I have a friend who bought a Q7 TDI for the third row and did the Malone tune and eliminated all the AdBlue system, etc. He loves it but it will never pass inspection anywhere. We don't have inspection here. I fear the Green New Deal and federal emissions laws nationwide post fix. It is not easy being green with a diesel. If the Democrats win, AOC and them will destroy the outlaw market for CD's. I am happy to die with mine but I don't want to be forced to pay for a fix that I could get paid to do now. And don't you know VAG would love sticking it to us later to take the dent out of their pocketbook!
I think, since it's an official recall, the fix will always be available at no cost.

What you'll lose, however, is the money.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 AM
Kayze
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I purchased pre-owned from a Porsche dealer in Atlanta during the stop sale, and before the fix was approved. The CPO offered was the lesser of 8 years/ 120k which I verified on the Porsche website prior to purchase. I don’t know why it wasn’t just the standard 6/100, but I just said thank you and OK I’ll accept that!
Old 03-28-2019, 11:57 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

2015? You should still be under the warranty then. Thank goodness. Get this looked at now before you're out of warranty.

This is a known, not uncommon issue. I had it done on my car and several others on the forum have as well. You can probably search it on here. It is NOT an easy fix. You're leaking from the cam chain cover. Unfortunately that's on the back of the engine and the only way to get to it is an engine out. Which means dropping the whole front suspension, subframe, engine, trans, and possibly transfer case if I remember correctly. It took my dealer about 5 days to do it.

Had I not been under warranty, I would not have done it as my leak was not quite as severe as yours.

Originally Posted by Kayze
I have a 2015 CD with just under 60k. I have had the car for 2 years, put on 30k miles with little to no issues. I appreciate everyone on this board for information and helping me realize that I wanted to buy a CD. I have not had the emissions fix, and not sure I will. I do have two questions for CD owners, one related to the fix and one related to an oil leak I discovered today
1. I was fortunate the first owner did not claim any of the emissions so I received 1/2 payment from Porsche and 1/2 payment (750) from Bosch. this month I received a check from Bosch for $85 with no notes what this is for. Did others that did not get the emissions fix also receive a 85 check instead of the second 750?
2. I have done all of my own oil changes (extraction method) at 5,000 mile intervals and have had no issues with the oil or leaks. Today I found a rather large oil spot on my garage in the front near where the oil pan is located. Has anyone else had similar issues?

I am in Central Florida with similar distance between dealers in ORlando, Tamps, and St Pete- Does anyone have a recommendation on the service center for the Porsche dealer in any of these 3 cities? I have 120k Warranty so I am expecting this will be warranty work.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:46 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

his leak was from the oil filter not being sealed properly. I did the same thing once.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:46 AM
motosport3
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the WH70 recall performed on my 2014 CD which reduces the heating element for the reducing agent (also have all the recall work performed prior). Seems like the MPG is even worse now....it's not in the 18s for city driving. Anyone else experience this?
Old 04-06-2019, 01:15 AM
petros600
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the CD to Porsche of South Orlando, ask from the service advisor (mine was Tony) to have Jesse work on your car.
He already did few CD with oil leaks and he knows what his doing.
I drive from Naples to South Orlando Porsche for the service or recalls.
Originally Posted by Kayze
I have a 2015 CD with just under 60k. I have had the car for 2 years, put on 30k miles with little to no issues. I appreciate everyone on this board for information and helping me realize that I wanted to buy a CD. I have not had the emissions fix, and not sure I will. I do have two questions for CD owners, one related to the fix and one related to an oil leak I discovered today
1. I was fortunate the first owner did not claim any of the emissions so I received 1/2 payment from Porsche and 1/2 payment (750) from Bosch. this month I received a check from Bosch for $85 with no notes what this is for. Did others that did not get the emissions fix also receive a 85 check instead of the second 750?
2. I have done all of my own oil changes (extraction method) at 5,000 mile intervals and have had no issues with the oil or leaks. Today I found a rather large oil spot on my garage in the front near where the oil pan is located. Has anyone else had similar issues?

I am in Central Florida with similar distance between dealers in ORlando, Tamps, and St Pete- Does anyone have a recommendation on the service center for the Porsche dealer in any of these 3 cities? I have 120k Warranty so I am expecting this will be warranty work.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:15 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Here’s a heads up on Porsche’s goodwill extension of the warranty to six years and 100,000 miles because of the VW diesel issue. Even though the letter says it is is extended to up to six years and 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, in reality they are extending the new car warranty by two years. I took my CD in for sevice about 18 months which was about 3.5 years into my ownership. Because they recorded mileage at about 52,000 the original new car warranty was technically over so they added two years to it. This leaves me with still 100,000 miles but the warranty runs out in 5.5 not six years.

I get why they did it. My beef is that is not what they said in the letter. Had they explained it truthfully I might have changed my driving behavior to fully take advantage of the warranty. Sadly, this treatment is typical of my experience so far with PCNA so I am not surprised.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:44 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

hmm, mine hasn't been at a dealer for service since 40k miles. They wouldn't even know how many it had when it expired.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:08 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtea
Here’s a heads up on Porsche’s goodwill extension of the warranty to six years and 100,000 miles because of the VW diesel issue. Even though the letter says it is is extended to up to six years and 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, in reality they are extending the new car warranty by two years. I took my CD in for sevice about 18 months which was about 3.5 years into my ownership. Because they recorded mileage at about 52,000 the original new car warranty was technically over so they added two years to it. This leaves me with still 100,000 miles but the warranty runs out in 5.5 not six years.

I get why they did it. My beef is that is not what they said in the letter. Had they explained it truthfully I might have changed my driving behavior to fully take advantage of the warranty. Sadly, this treatment is typical of my experience so far with PCNA so I am not surprised.
I'm not sure what you're saying there. You took it in 18 months ago?

I suspect you could challenge that. Unless the car was punched 6 months before you got it as part of the dealer games to register sales. The additional 2/100 was from the original "in service date". Otherwise, your dealer is doing something wrong.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:13 AM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Your problem was taking it to the dealer for the service and not an independent. It wasn’t not being able too adjust your driving habits. If you needed big ticket warranty work then you had little choice.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:28 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by motosport3
I had the WH70 recall performed on my 2014 CD which reduces the heating element for the reducing agent (also have all the recall work performed prior). Seems like the MPG is even worse now....it's not in the 18s for city driving. Anyone else experience this?
I couldn't tell you because they brought the car back to my house after the recall and after a day of sitting it was stone dead. I mean nothing but the emergency triangle lit. They charged the battery and now can't tell me why it went dead. It's been three days now.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:56 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Just a couple of thoughts after performing the WH70 recall. After driving about 500 miles, I don't notice any difference in mileage. However, I noticed a difference in how fast the engine warms up. Before the WH70 recall was performed, the water temperature needle will reach the mid point very fast (while the oil temperature needle stayed low) and the interior cabin will warm up right away. Now, it is as if before the fix was performed; that is, it takes a while before the water temperature needle moves past the low point and takes longer for warm air to blow in the cabin. Am I hallucinating?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:38 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
Just a couple of thoughts after performing the WH70 recall. After driving about 500 miles, I don't notice any difference in mileage. However, I noticed a difference in how fast the engine warms up. Before the WH70 recall was performed, the water temperature needle will reach the mid point very fast (while the oil temperature needle stayed low) and the interior cabin will warm up right away. Now, it is as if before the fix was performed; that is, it takes a while before the water temperature needle moves past the low point and takes longer for warm air to blow in the cabin. Am I hallucinating?
Isn't WH70 just a DEF heater modification?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:56 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Isn't WH70 just a DEF heater modification?
I thought so and that is what the service advisor said too. Anyway, I am kind of happy that the CD reverted to the pre-fix way of warming up after a cold start.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:18 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
I thought so and that is what the service advisor said too. Anyway, I am kind of happy that the CD reverted to the pre-fix way of warming up after a cold start.
I will need to switch cars with my wife to see if it made any difference. Since the fix, noises from the engine during warm up are not pleasant. I hope it isn't worse now. As the weather warms, this may be hard to judge.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue