Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I have done 40 mpg in Oregon. I thought there was something wrong with the display. Some of their speed limits are ridiculous, like doing 45 m/h on a long stretch of road going nowhere. But everyone complies because speeding tickets is a way to compensate for no sales tax
Old 11-19-2017, 12:32 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
You guys getting north of 35mpg must drive like old ladies. And old ladies hypermiling, at that. Best I've seen is ~32. Then again, my average speed approaches 70 on long trips (that's the average reported by the computer that includes getting to the highway, accelerations, stops for fuel, etc). Actual travel speed is generally higher than that.

And pulling 4000# and getting mid-twenties? Again... old ladies. Going to church. On Sundays. Drafting an 18 wheeler.

That's about what I'd expect and even 19 hauling a car is damned good.

Be interested to hear what your unladen average turns to out to be (along with your speeds).
seriously. I've taken the car on some super long road trips and never got anywhere near mid 30's. Maybe the fix will actually improve my mileage!
Old 11-19-2017, 08:58 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

R u guys using the tuning box if not I would go get one it increased my mpg dramatically
I -90 is pretty straight hwy set the cruise control at 78 n take a nap and I get 35+ best I avg on 2.5 hour trip is 40 mpg

i drive the CD 35-40k per year so no need to set a land speed record plus overall it is rather benign car ar far as performance goes so “old lady driving” not sure I would not go that far luckily , my other toys fill the spirited driving gene
Old 11-19-2017, 12:17 PM
bryanwares
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
R u guys using the tuning box if not I would go get one it increased my mpg dramatically
I -90 is pretty straight hwy set the cruise control at 78 n take a nap and I get 35+ best I avg on 2.5 hour trip is 40 mpg

i drive the CD 35-40k per year so no need to set a land speed record plus overall it is rather benign car far as performance goes so “old lady driving” not sure I would not go that far luckily , my other toys fill the spirited driving gene
Do we need to buy Tuning box from U.K? Any seller in the U.S. to buy from? Thank you!
http://bluesparkautomotive.com/porsc...-us-spec-64248
Old 11-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanwares
Do we need to buy Tuning box from U.K? Any seller in the U.S. to buy from? Thank you!
http://bluesparkautomotive.com/porsc...-us-spec-64248
I’m only aware of the one in theUK
Old 11-19-2017, 09:58 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Took my rig in last week to get neutered and it came back looking good (detailed) and tank was full. After hearing the comments on start up noise, I started it in the garage with windows down. Did not notice any difference. Drove it a short distance around town and noticed nothing different. Got the second check and I am happy.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:25 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Ok,for whatever reason car felt no different today towing home. And got better mpg than trip up. Nearly 21inditcated at 66mph average which means doing 4-5 hrs at 70-75.

Also did a stone cold start in low 50s was 30s overnight and did not notice any additional noise.

So, car is good. Only annoyance is the new more agressive kick down. Towing up hills it is annoying. It will Get Engine to near redline. I’ve reverted to shifting manually going up hills towing. The torque feels better around 2500rpm.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:01 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Spyerx, thanks for the review. Any insights on the disappearance of engine braking?

...also I usually do better mpg going south on I5 than going North. Maybe wind factors?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
I was one of the early adopters that ran the old Gen 1 unit before they had tunes for our ECU. I was very happy with it's performance until it acted up on a long trip like it did for everyone else.

Bluespark sent me a Gen 2, but even on the same EU settings I ran with the Gen 1 it never performed the same. I ultimately sold it on after having it checked out and confirmed to (supposedly) be in working order.

Bluespark is certainly a top notch company though. Great group to work with.

You guys getting north of 35mpg must drive like old ladies. And old ladies hypermiling, at that. Best I've seen is ~32. Then again, my average speed approaches 70 on long trips (that's the average reported by the computer that includes getting to the highway, accelerations, stops for fuel, etc). Actual travel speed is generally higher than that.

And pulling 4000# and getting mid-twenties? Again... old ladies. Going to church. On Sundays. Drafting an 18 wheeler.

A lot depends on the conditions and terrain. I've pulled 1 37mpg (36ish compensating for the MFD exaggeration) significant trip in my 40ish K. It was late at night and cool (60s), low humidity, no traffic, no head or cross winds to speak of, and few hills. Cruised in the 80-85 range the whole time. That was without any tuner.

That was an anomaly though and 30-32 (calculated) is the norm for that trip.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:26 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 349 Likes on 153 Posts

800 miles home from Chicago yesterday, ~31.4MPG average going 70-80 the whole way. We're happy, only had to stop once near home for deesil. Our suburban would have been 2-3 stops, not to mention about a million downshifts up the WV mountains to go 65. Cayenne is a private jet compared to the Cessna 150 suburban.

Sorry for thread distraction. Just happy. Carry on!

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 11-20-2017, 11:30 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Spyerx, thanks for the review. Any insights on the disappearance of engine braking?

...also I usually do better mpg going south on I5 than going North. Maybe wind factors?
No idea... but driving was the same, on way north there was more traffic getting out of LA, that could have done it. But, car seems basically the same as before.

Oh yeah, engine braking, i did notice less for sure. But, i never really noticed much engine brake towing anyway but I didn't find myself using brakes a whole lot more. My trailer has electric brakes.

So summary:
--cold startup for me sounded same (but it's coastal CA, not that cold)
--power seems same around town / towing
--downhill a little less engine brake towing
--shifting is more aggressive on down shifts, which is annoying towing up hill, so i just shifted to manual mode where before it was quite smart to stay in the right gear to optimize torque
--mileage seems basically the same towing

I'll take the $~10k + warranty no regrets getting the fix done.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:27 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

*shrug*

I'm gentle and *constant* on the pedal. I know I've driven next to people who can't actually hold a constant speed (easily discernible in the warmer months when the windows are down). Speed limit is 45... so they get up to 50, then let off, car slows to 40, they HIT the gas and the car actually kicks down a gear, they speed back up to 50... rinse repeat. I've got a steady foot and can generally hold a speed even without cruise. I regularly beat the EPA MPG #'s in every car I've ever owned.

And I generally do ~10 over on expressways, ~5 over on surface streets.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 PM
abatis
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Bluespark

Just FYI for other Bluesparkers, I did ask the company if the current USA unit will work with the emissions fix. Here was their response:"Hi J,

The emissions fix doesn't have any effect upon the box, and it will still work fine after the update has been performed.
I would however strongly advise that it is a good idea to remove the box completely before taking the vehicle in, just to avoid and potential issues with the dealership.
Best regards,"
Old 11-20-2017, 03:24 PM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So got my 2014 CD fixed last Thursday. Appears to drive almost the same. Only difference I can see so far is that it shifts a little higher (like 3k) when it's cold.
After warming up that goes away. No increase in engine noise even when cold, so far I don't see any really changes in mileage. The car computer said around 31 around town.
I was getting (measure by mileage) about 28-29 around town and 33-34 on the highway. Don't have enough miles on it yet to verify the highway numbers.
I'm pretty happy about the fix and the results so far. Thx VW for the cash and extended warranty. I was going to trade it in, now looks like a keeper.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:07 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
So got my 2014 CD fixed last Thursday. Appears to drive almost the same. Only difference I can see so far is that it shifts a little higher (like 3k) when it's cold.
After warming up that goes away. No increase in engine noise even when cold, so far I don't see any really changes in mileage. The car computer said around 31 around town.
I was getting (measure by mileage) about 28-29 around town and 33-34 on the highway. Don't have enough miles on it yet to verify the highway numbers.
I'm pretty happy about the fix and the results so far. Thx VW for the cash and extended warranty. I was going to trade it in, now looks like a keeper.
This, is more great news. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue