Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:23 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Weather's warming up here.

Hesitation is back. Seems worse than it was in the fall? That or I've just grown accustomed to the lack of it because it's been fine all winter. Last couple drives with the wife I've gotten the, "What's wrong? Why are you driving like you're pissed???" as I push the pedal down after rolling a corner and nothing... nothing... nothing... BAM4000RPMDOWNSHIFT...
Old 04-24-2019, 01:50 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987

Hesitation is back. Seems worse than it was in the fall? That or I've just grown accustomed to the lack of it because it's been fine all winter. Last couple drives with the wife I've gotten the, "What's wrong? Why are you driving like you're pissed???" as I push the pedal down after rolling a corner and nothing... nothing... nothing... BAM4000RPMDOWNSHIFT...
Yeah, I had it happen for the first time this year yesterday too. Awful. Looked down and noticed the temp was 89°F.

I'm getting really close to saying "screw the warranty" and putting a tune on it in the hopes that it will drive properly and get the added benefit of shutting down the EGR system after warm up.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:10 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Write Porsche to tell them how crappy it drives. I didn't hesitate to give them my opinion. We got screwed, we should have had an option of a buyback if we didn't like the fix.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:16 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Yup, same here.

Time to make a video to document all of this. Slowing for turns, accelerating out of corners, passing, etc.

And, maybe because it's just starting up again, it seems like it's worse than before.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Yup, same here.

Time to make a video to document all of this. Slowing for turns, accelerating out of corners, passing, etc.

And, maybe because it's just starting up again, it seems like it's worse than before.
Whenever I get my PIWIS back I plan to do some logging to capture it.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:43 AM
Guards Red Car
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, going in for the FIX tomorrow

Plan is to trade in the CD this September

I do NOT want to $ink lot$ of ca$h into this CD which has just a few more months in my driveway

WHAT should I be looking at to PAY for? My CD probably (over)due for a 50K mile service, Lube/Oil/Filter - Will dealer give me a mercy deal on "non FIX" service issues? I know I need brake pads - but, service dept will likely try to ding me for rotors, etc...however, I will NOT be keeping this CD more than another 4 - 5 months

Also, AdBlue tank is almost empty...I doubt they will charge me for AdBlue, given the CD fix involves this precious fluid

Please give me some guidance on how to keep my non-Fix co$ts minimal...I guess "Just say no" may be the way to go

Thanks
Old 04-26-2019, 10:40 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

Then don't do anything but the fix. No one is forcing you to spend money on the car...
Old 04-26-2019, 02:47 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
Yup, same here.

And the lugging! Holy crap, the lugging!

Around town, it will shift down as far as it can go and hold that gear for as long as possible, even going up minor hills.

40 mph, 7th gear and 1150-1200 RPMs. And hold that, stubbornly refusing to downshift until it's apparent the engine will stall if it doesn't.

50 mph, 8th gear.

30 mph, 6th gear.

All holding 1150-1250 RPM with the car vibrating through the wheel and seat and, of course, ears.

Sometimes when it finally realizes it's messed up, it'll drop 2 or 3 gears, depending on where the accelerator is, and slam into gear before taking off.

There's a reason they had to add the 10 year/125K miles warranty. I just wonder if all this lugging and transmission slamming will break things before... or after that.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:14 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Default Cayenne Gone!

This was one of most disappointing automotive decisions I ever had to make. I would have kept this car for 10 years or more, but after the fix I lost any incentive to spend Porsche money on maintenance and out of warranty repairs. Our '14 just did not take well to the fix- with very high levels of vibration at idle through the entire car Prior to the fix, the steering wheel had a little vibration, and that was it. During engine warm up the engine has a special clatter, which could be heard through most of our short trips. Then during take off from stop lights, a very noisy and unsettling rattle could be heard for a couple of seconds. It was really awful to listen to. I drove two fixed Cayennes prior to having the fix done, and neither had the those attributes.
The fix was done in January and returned the car twice afterwards and was told it was running normally. I wrote to Porsche with no results. The General Manager of my dealership made me a decent trade in offer and we traded it for a Mecan Sport Edition. With the sales tax savings, the settlement money and a great discount on the Mecan, we did ok. The Cayenne needed brakes and a major service that I had no intention of doing. It was time to move on from a brilliant car with an unfortunate ending. You are supposed to enjoy a Porsche, not hate it. Great forum here, and it was great to go through dieselgate with you folks.
My best- see you on the 911 and Mecan forums.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:17 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guards Red Car
Well, going in for the FIX tomorrow

Plan is to trade in the CD this September

I do NOT want to $ink lot$ of ca$h into this CD which has just a few more months in my driveway

WHAT should I be looking at to PAY for? My CD probably (over)due for a 50K mile service, Lube/Oil/Filter - Will dealer give me a mercy deal on "non FIX" service issues? I know I need brake pads - but, service dept will likely try to ding me for rotors, etc...however, I will NOT be keeping this CD more than another 4 - 5 months

Also, AdBlue tank is almost empty...I doubt they will charge me for AdBlue, given the CD fix involves this precious fluid

Please give me some guidance on how to keep my non-Fix co$ts minimal...I guess "Just say no" may be the way to go

Thanks
See my recent post. Do the minimum. I hope you have a better experience than I did.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:21 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^ Hi PJ, sorry to read about your outcome. I haven't had the experiences that you described. Did think of a Macan, but decided the CD is still fine; just that annoying staying in third gear when cold. Catch you at the 991 forum. The .1 .2 wars seem to be over
Old 04-29-2019, 11:24 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

^ Thanks Visitor. The wife loves the Mecan, most of her trips are short range, so it is a much more fun car than the CD for her routine. It is a cheaper car, no doubt, but it has a totally different mission.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:34 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Hoo, boy. In Grand Junction right now and the lag is really bad now! I'm going to make a video this week to add to the others I've got lined up.

Off the line at home hasn't been an issue, but off the line here, the altitude plus whatever lag is going on is bad. I've rolled out of a stop sign and been worried about being stuck in the middle of the damn road when the other traffic gets to me! An old 300D could take this thing in a drag race (well, to about 20mph... then it's pretty much normal again).

Passing? Don't bother. 55 to 80? Not unless you've got a ton of room!

I'm with you PJ... not happy with this at all and like you said, you have to be to own it long term.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:40 PM
RomSL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test drove a CD with Malone St2 tune and pre-fix TCU. Lag? What lag? The car picks up off the line like a scalded cat, lots of low end torque.
Now, the saddest part is that with all those mods the CD drives just like a stock X5 35D F15 does.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

I just purchased new to me a 2015 CD. I experienced a lag one time going into traffic the other day. It was concerning. I have since made it a habit to engage the Sport button - and I have not experienced the lag again. Has this been everyone else's experience?

I love the vehicle and found the diesels harder and hard to find at the right price. The extended warranty + a CPO makes it a heck of a value proposition. Mine is covered bumper to bumper unlimited miles until 2023.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue