Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:49 PM
bryanwares
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
I received an email from VWGoA this morning. in it, I can still get my vehicle verified at the dealer and receive partial payment for the settlement. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.
Good for you!
Since you filed before 10/23/2017, you go through normal process. Looks like it took 15 days for your submission to approval.
I submitted my documentation on 10/30 and was told for submissions after 10/23, $ will be paid only after ECR is completed.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:29 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I wish I had access to a dyno - I'd do a lot of before/after. And frankly some of it wouldn't be the usual "WOT" test.

I drive mine with 50% throttle most of the time. Pull out into traffic, give it some pedal but not WOT, generate some thrust, truck shifts at 3000 rpm and clicks through the gears.

That's the use case that I'm concerned will be affected. I'd want before/after of that scenario.
I'd be very unhappy (and surprised) if the "use case" you describe has changed after the fix. Your use case is heavily weighted to the torque side of the equation, and should not be impacted. Remember, torque is what you feel and horsepower is how long you feel it. I optimistically expect the post fix effect may be a little more fuel and adblue usage and nothing else.

Separately I scheduled my fix for after Thanksgiving, but may change it until mid-Dec when I am back in CA and can talk with my friend who is a service manager at Porsche and take it to his shop -- unless early reports are very positive.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:02 AM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had scheduled a repair for Friday. The service dept. called yesterday to let me know they did not have the parts required to do the fix and that they would let me know as soon as the parts arrived (she said that it was hopefully going to be the following week). While we were talking, she asked if I had my VIN number (I did) and I gave it to her for verification.

I am not really passionate about the vehicle (I have a 2017 911 that is absolutely beautiful), however it is a great vehicle that performs well but I am indifferent and I want to get the remaining cash as soon as I can (it is the accountant in me). Overall, I feel bad for Porsche and VW and Audi and I don't know why our government feels it has to be in our lives like it is to protect us from everything that some government person in power with the help of attorneys deems necessary to prove they are more powerful and smarter than the leading car manufacturer...but I digress. I will happily take the money and either drive the car or possibly sell it. The extended warranty is nice and I am not concerned with a little performance or fuel loss. The bigger problem with diesel (for me) is the relative cost disadvantage to gasoline (of recent). A friend, who drives a diesel Chevy, said it was due to the fed mandates on the fuel that are starting to kick in. At the same time, if I had a gasoline version of the Cayenne, I would have to buy premium which is priced about the same as diesel right now.

What's funny is that while researching older 911's I came across some interesting information. I don't remember the year (sometime in the '70s I think) but in order to pass emission testing, Porsche was using a fan blower in the exhaust system to blow air out in order to dissipate the emissions of the pollutants. This apparently worked in order to pass the emissions testing at the time. Now that the company has deep pockets, they will have to pay for their strategy in order to pass a test.

Some people feel that the emissions of the diesel could be unhealthy, I doubt it, but I am no expert. Some people are afraid of using Roundup because it is said to cause cancer-I doubt that as well.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by DNorby
I had scheduled a repair for Friday. The service dept. called yesterday to let me know they did not have the parts required to do the fix and that they would let me know as soon as the parts arrived (she said that it was hopefully going to be the following week). While we were talking, she asked if I had my VIN number (I did) and I gave it to her for verification.

I am not really passionate about the vehicle (I have a 2017 911 that is absolutely beautiful), however it is a great vehicle that performs well but I am indifferent and I want to get the remaining cash as soon as I can (it is the accountant in me). Overall, I feel bad for Porsche and VW and Audi and I don't know why our government feels it has to be in our lives like it is to protect us from everything that some government person in power with the help of attorneys deems necessary to prove they are more powerful and smarter than the leading car manufacturer...but I digress. I will happily take the money and either drive the car or possibly sell it. The extended warranty is nice and I am not concerned with a little performance or fuel loss. The bigger problem with diesel (for me) is the relative cost disadvantage to gasoline (of recent). A friend, who drives a diesel Chevy, said it was due to the fed mandates on the fuel that are starting to kick in. At the same time, if I had a gasoline version of the Cayenne, I would have to buy premium which is priced about the same as diesel right now.

What's funny is that while researching older 911's I came across some interesting information. I don't remember the year (sometime in the '70s I think) but in order to pass emission testing, Porsche was using a fan blower in the exhaust system to blow air out in order to dissipate the emissions of the pollutants. This apparently worked in order to pass the emissions testing at the time. Now that the company has deep pockets, they will have to pay for their strategy in order to pass a test.

Some people feel that the emissions of the diesel could be unhealthy, I doubt it, but I am no expert. Some people are afraid of using Roundup because it is said to cause cancer-I doubt that as well.
I'm going to leave your last sentence alone and just want to say that diesel prices depend on where you live. Right now, I'm paying a bit less than mid grade but more than regular.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:10 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks to CA new legislation, diesel prices caught up with gasoline prices.

Regarding joy of driving, and from someone who got both, I love the CD for long distance driving and daily tasks. The 991 makes me smile while driving the back roads. Two different cars that are best for what they were designed to do
Old 11-02-2017, 11:55 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador

Regarding joy of driving, and from someone who got both, I love the CD for long distance driving and daily tasks. The 991 makes me smile while driving the back roads. Two different cars that are best for what they were designed to do
True... tho the CD can hold its own when it needs to.

Not many "backroads" here in IL that let you explore that... but I take lots of joy in shaking off tailgaters on offramps.... ride my butt alllllll the way up into the point where you have to turn the wheel. I merely keep on going - they suddenly fall waaaaay behind.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I'm going to leave your last sentence alone and just want to say that diesel prices depend on where you live. Right now, I'm paying a bit less than mid grade but more than regular.
Out here, Diesel is anywhere from ten cents cheaper than regular to a bout a nickel more. Combine that with the economy that the CD attains; it's a great value.

Originally Posted by visitador

Same for me and my 996tt. Different tools, appropriate for the task at hand.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:43 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

They will no longer pay 1/2 before, and 1/2 after, the fix. They will only now pay the full 100% amount *after* the fix.

Anyone who had an appointment scheduled, to get the first 1/2 payment, but did not yet HAVE the appointment, will have their appointment canceled. They need to now just schedule the full repair appointment with the dealer.
Bummer, I filled my paperwork but never got the truck in to be looked at.
So just to make sure I understand this, I can no longer take my car in to get the VIN checked and receive half $$$ even though I already filed my paperwork. I am not against taking the fix I just want to push is out as long as possible to get the most out of the warranty.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:47 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperUser
Bummer, I filled my paperwork but never got the truck in to be looked at.
So just to make sure I understand this, I can no longer take my car in to get the VIN checked and receive half $$$ even though I already filed my paperwork. I am not against taking the fix I just want to push is out as long as possible to get the most out of the warranty.
According to the email several of us received (and relevant parts posted by me a page or three ago) - any appointments currently scheduled to have the VIN checked and first half payment issued are going to be canceled.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

According to the email several of us received (and relevant parts posted by me a page or three ago) - any appointments currently scheduled to have the VIN checked and first half payment issued are going to be canceled.
Correct.

If you did get in before the deadline, you can reschedule for a VIN verification, at least according the email I received. Which I need to schedule to confirm if this is all true.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:35 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

After a chat with the VWG0A, she had verified that we must contact our dealers service department to have our vehicles modified and that we can do so on or after 11/06/2017.

Scheduling of the appointments will NOT be done on the portal. We must call our service department or go online to get it done.

It is not like it can only be done on Tuesdays or Wednesdays like the buyback was for my Touareg or for the inspection for the first 1/2 of the $$$.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Class council is looking into the issue with approvals dating prior to the 23rd with regards to receiving the partial settlement. It only makes sense as those prior had not yet been given an ECR approval. Those claiming after certainly aren’t entitled to the partial settlement as that’s something I agree with VW.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:47 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Anyone else waiting for their 2nd half of Bosch check? I am..
Old 11-03-2017, 11:38 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
Correct.

If you did get in before the deadline, you can reschedule for a VIN verification, at least according the email I received. Which I need to schedule to confirm if this is all true.
I never had an appointment; I will call the dealer Monday to see if I can still just get the VIN and not get the whole fix. My truck is a 2015, I would love to get the full 10-year powertrain warranty
Old 11-03-2017, 11:48 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

10 year warranty only goes with the fix, I believe. No fix, no warranty.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue