Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
The previous DWS model was pretty bad on the Cayenne. While snow traction was surprisingly good for an all season, the car tended to wander with the older model despite getting the alignment redone 3 times! I've heard the new ones are much better.

As for the "settlement"... I just purchased winter tires/wheels for the car this week. Was not happy with the snow traction on my Michellin all seasons and opted to spend the money on Nokian R2s to keep the wife safe... At this point, I would prefer some "compensation" and just keep the car, even if the engine is a bit detuned. The car will still have value and I believe I have a good one... zero issues in 67k miles. Much prefer not taking out a loan to buy something else I don't really want...
Never had any issues with wandering in 25k miles. Maybe you had a bad set.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I posted this wonderful statement yesterday...note the hedges (in bold above). Slimy bast**ds. So some questions:
1. Is the deadline for a fix approval 4/2017 and can it be extended?
2. I don't understand the underlined fragment. Why is that an option if a fix is approved? What are our choices?
3. Does this mean that testing is done after the fix is approved?

Just an engineer here. Not a lawyer.

Yeah, that's poorly worded. They way I read it, is that you have to read it in conjunction with this statement:

If EPA and CARB approve such an emissions compliant recall, VW must provide consumers with a clear and accurate description regarding all impacts of the emissions compliant recall on the vehicle, including emissions levels as compared with the limits to which the vehicles were originally certified, and any impacts on fuel economy or vehicle maintenance. Any modified vehicle will also be covered by an extended warranty covering the emissions control system. In the unlikely event that Volkswagen is unable to return generation 2 vehicles to their certified exhaust emissions standards, Volkswagen must offer to buy back the generation 2 vehicles or terminate leases at no cost to the customer. In this circumstance, Volkswagen could also seek approval of an emissions modification plan to reduce the emissions from these generation 2 vehicles.

I think this refers to if VW can't meet the standards as currently published, then they can try to work a plan that reduces emissions, but doesn't quite meet the current standards. The 2.0 fix already is a compromise in this manner. If the EPA / CARB approves THAT fix, then owners will have a choice to accept THAT fix or do a buyback.

I think. Just a Civil Engineer's interpretation.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:19 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Yeah, that's poorly worded. They way I read it, is that you have to read it in conjunction with this statement:

If EPA and CARB approve such an emissions compliant recall, VW must provide consumers with a clear and accurate description regarding all impacts of the emissions compliant recall on the vehicle, including emissions levels as compared with the limits to which the vehicles were originally certified, and any impacts on fuel economy or vehicle maintenance. Any modified vehicle will also be covered by an extended warranty covering the emissions control system. In the unlikely event that Volkswagen is unable to return generation 2 vehicles to their certified exhaust emissions standards, Volkswagen must offer to buy back the generation 2 vehicles or terminate leases at no cost to the customer. In this circumstance, Volkswagen could also seek approval of an emissions modification plan to reduce the emissions from these generation 2 vehicles.

I think this refers to if VW can't meet the standards as currently published, then they can try to work a plan that reduces emissions, but doesn't quite meet the current standards. The 2.0 fix already is a compromise in this manner. If the EPA / CARB approves THAT fix, then owners will have a choice to accept THAT fix or do a buyback.

I think. Just a Civil Engineer's interpretation.
Oh man, two knuckledragger engineers trying to figure out fancy lawyer talk.

What is so frustrating is that while all this is sorted out, we still have essentially a "frozen asset". Does anyone believe this will take less than a year for this to play out? Frankly, that is likely best case. Then we have the fix shoved down our throat. Oh but wait...we have substantial compensation coming.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What is so frustrating is that while all this is sorted out, we still have essentially a "frozen asset". Does anyone believe this will take less than a year for this to play out? Frankly, that is likely best case. Then we have the fix shoved down our throat. Oh but wait...we have substantial compensation coming.
I stayed at a holiday inn express last night. Lol.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:59 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

We just gave up on all this today and traded our '15 CD for a '17 Macan. The offers (and book values, and the Manheim Auction values) keep going up, so we just ended our pain.

Our towing will revert back to our '10 M-B ML diesel, and the Macan will be a daily driver.

We're pleased with the demand right now for CDs. I think that sometime between the 12/20/16 delay, which seems to be an announcement that nothing will happen anytime soon, and the release of the 1300 - 1500 Stop-Sale'd CDs into the market, will be prime time to sell.

Our Dealer (Colorado Springs) has a dozen parked CD's waiting for fix and release. And they have waiting lists for used CD's. Now they have our nicely-optioned CD for sale.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:06 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 451 Posts

Yeah read this today on the agreement. Lots of what if/loopholes.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-liter-diesels

Biggest thing is that no-one knows what the compensation is from VAG. I mean who defines that? Also looks like the software fix is a given once Porsche/Audi/VW get hold of the cars...and if you're in Cali it will likely soon be a "new" requirement for registration/renewal of registration of any CD I would think. With the CARB's past actions...I don't see how you get away with out...then other states may/may not follow depending on how this all pans out and each state!

From the looks of it..I don't see how you guys get away with a tuned car w/the appropriate fix that doesn't affect performance to some degree from an engineering standpoint. Asked a few guys in the maintenance shop on base who have some knowledge with diesels and such and they said its difficult to do both at the same time...decrease emissions and increase/maintain horsepower/performance. Hopefully you won't see to much of a drop when the fix is finally benchmarked..but I think that it part of the reason why no one at VW-AG has yet mentioned what those new metrics are for a "fixed" engine yet. After 12+ months they have to know something and have some benchmarks guys...but still nothing but "they assume/are reasonably confident the 3.0L can be fixed." WTF is that saying other than German for "vie have a little surprise for you ja!"
Old 12-22-2016, 08:26 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yeah read this today on the agreement. Lots of what if/loopholes.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-liter-diesels

Biggest thing is that no-one knows what the compensation is from VAG. I mean who defines that? Also looks like the software fix is a given once Porsche/Audi/VW get hold of the cars...and if you're in Cali it will likely soon be a "new" requirement for registration/renewal of registration of any CD I would think. With the CARB's past actions...I don't see how you get away with out...then other states may/may not follow depending on how this all pans out and each state!

From the looks of it..I don't see how you guys get away with a tuned car w/the appropriate fix that doesn't affect performance to some degree from an engineering standpoint. Asked a few guys in the maintenance shop on base who have some knowledge with diesels and such and they said its difficult to do both at the same time...decrease emissions and increase/maintain horsepower/performance. Hopefully you won't see to much of a drop when the fix is finally benchmarked..but I think that it part of the reason why no one at VW-AG has yet mentioned what those new metrics are for a "fixed" engine yet. After 12+ months they have to know something and have some benchmarks guys...but still nothing but "they assume/are reasonably confident the 3.0L can be fixed." WTF is that saying other than German for "vie have a little surprise for you ja!"
Ok, hang on a sec. deep breath.

That article is worthless. All it's doing is paraphrasing the press statement released by CARB / EPA, and possibly the court transcript. Both have been linked earlier in the thread. Read those to get the unbiased truth.

Second, the compensation hasn't been announced. It's very precisely determined with the FINAL Consent decree is finalized. We're still not there yet.

First, they need to lay out the terms of the draft agreement. Second, that agreement is subject to review and public comment. During the 2.0 case, there were over 400 public comments heard. The judge made some minor tweaks based on that, then the agreement was ratified in a Consent Decree.

I've posted a link earlier to the 2.0 Consent decree. It is very detailed as far as what happens, when, by whom, and the penalties for non-compliance. There is a status call today at 11am PST. I would surmise its for the compensation details.

Let's not freak out until all the details are released. I have a feeling where it's going, but the point is of course there are still massive holes.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:49 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Searcher356
We just gave up on all this today and traded our '15 CD for a '17 Macan. The offers (and book values, and the Manheim Auction values) keep going up, so we just ended our pain.

Our towing will revert back to our '10 M-B ML diesel, and the Macan will be a daily driver.

We're pleased with the demand right now for CDs. I think that sometime between the 12/20/16 delay, which seems to be an announcement that nothing will happen anytime soon, and the release of the 1300 - 1500 Stop-Sale'd CDs into the market, will be prime time to sell.

Our Dealer (Colorado Springs) has a dozen parked CD's waiting for fix and release. And they have waiting lists for used CD's. Now they have our nicely-optioned CD for sale.
Congrats on the Macan! I almost bought one recently; great vehicle. I'm in the opposite position where I decided to invest in the Cayenne because I needed a better winter driving solution (to keep my wife and kid safe). I had no choice at this point. If it comes to a buyback, will have to factor in the close to 2k I just put into the car (notwithstanding the 2.5k I put in this summer). The numbers are "real" to me, not just some depreciation I may have to eat at some point. Either way, instead of buying the Macan, I bought an AMG product and absolutely love it (partly because I think Porsche is too full of themselves these days... elitist crooks that they are).
Old 12-22-2016, 09:36 AM
SignDoc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have not ended your pain, you are still in the boat with Porsche. A company that has barely communicated to you about this issue, has pushed blame to its "engine supplier" and left you hanging for more than 15 months, all with an extended warranty. Good luck with the Macan, I am sure you got a really good deal.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:42 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Congrats! Sounds it is the 4-cylinder. Keep us posted on how you like the Macan. I think I am done with VW products
Old 12-22-2016, 12:08 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Originally Posted by SignDoc
You have not ended your pain, you are still in the boat with Porsche. A company that has barely communicated to you about this issue, has pushed blame to its "engine supplier" and left you hanging for more than 15 months, all with an extended warranty. Good luck with the Macan, I am sure you got a really good deal.
My dealer offered me 12-14% off of GTS models...

Seriously, the Porsche lot looks like a Ford/Chevy/Ram lot now... tons and tons of Macans just sitting around. So much for the high margin "build to order" approach augmented by a few dealer-specced cars for immediate sales boost...
Old 12-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm out also due to our lease ending. Ultimately after looking at several options we decided to stay with porsche. Looked at the Volvo XC90, S90, ranger rover sport gas and diesel. We were so close to leasing a rrs diesel but they would not deal on them at all and the lease rates were atrocious. Plus the media/tech was clunky and froze up on our test drive. Porsche despite the issues was still the best for us. So we moved into a 17' Cayenne platinum edition. We miss the MPG of the CD already where We'd average 26 mpg on my commute in down at 18 mph wth the V6 (a cayenne e-hybrid was on the list but out of our budget after negotiation) but the performance is comparable. The biggest quirk is the auto start stop which is mediocre compared to other cars I've driven with it but thankfully we are able to disable it. We went to a new dealer as my old dealer closed making us a Porsche orphan. They did try to push us into a macan likely because as mentioned they had what must have been 50 on the lot. In the end they treated us right and we ended up getting 12% off. They told us they even received orders to stop using the CD's as dealer loaners. Our old CD would sit on their lot until they received word from porsche on what to do with it.

My dealer offered me 12-14% off of GTS models...

Seriously, the Porsche lot looks like a Ford/Chevy/Ram lot now... tons and tons of Macans just sitting around. So much for the high margin "build to order" approach augmented by a few dealer-specced cars for immediate sales boost...
Old 12-22-2016, 12:52 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Originally Posted by Brig993
I'm out also due to our lease ending. Ultimately after looking at several options we decided to stay with porsche. Looked at the Volvo XC90, S90, ranger rover sport gas and diesel. We were so close to leasing a rrs diesel but they would not deal on them at all and the lease rates were atrocious. Plus the media/tech was clunky and froze up on our test drive. Porsche despite the issues was still the best for us. So we moved into a 17' Cayenne platinum edition. We miss the MPG of the CD already where We'd average 26 mpg on my commute in down at 18 mph wth the V6 (a cayenne e-hybrid was on the list but out of our budget after negotiation) but the performance is comparable. The biggest quirk is the auto start stop which is mediocre compared to other cars I've driven with it but thankfully we are able to disable it. We went to a new dealer as my old dealer closed making us a Porsche orphan. They did try to push us into a macan likely because as mentioned they had what must have been 50 on the lot. In the end they treated us right and we ended up getting 12% off. They told us they even received orders to stop using the CD's as dealer loaners. Our old CD would sit on their lot until they received word from porsche on what to do with it.
Congratulations on your new car! Drive it in good health.

As much as I love my AMG V8, the electronics and build quality are definitely below that of my CD and other Porsches. That is part of the reason I seriously considered the Macan despite misgivings about the total price and size of the car. While Porsche may have "boring" electronics, everything pretty much works in my experience.

What dealer closed (as I see you are in NJ)? I'm surprised to hear one closing in the busy metro area!
Old 12-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Thank you! Atlantic City closed late last year they were a great small dealership very old school and fair. Ray catena bought the franchise area and is opening in Toms River. I'm not a fan of ray catena dealerships so I went to Porsche Monmouth and they were A+!

Congratulations on your new car! Drive it in good health.

As much as I love my AMG V8, the electronics and build quality are definitely below that of my CD and other Porsches. That is part of the reason I seriously considered the Macan despite misgivings about the total price and size of the car. While Porsche may have "boring" electronics, everything pretty much works in my experience.

What dealer closed (as I see you are in NJ)? I'm surprised to hear one closing in the busy metro area!
Old 12-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for Porsche Monmouth

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue