Sponsored By:

Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 11:16 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,304 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Did you manage to input the Porsche Part number or did you get an error there as well? Since you're sure you entered a SPACE, maybe place it in quotes so the space takes?

siberian
Old 03-24-2021, 11:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

In chasing down this rat-hole on battery registration I found a few things:

1. It's not understood
2. Very few people have successfully registered a replacement battery with a non-PIWIS tool, and no one reported a dealer registering a non-Porsche-bought battery with a PIWIS. It's also unclear that dealers DO try to register a replacement battery they sell since they often sell Interstate batteries, which don't have the sort of part-numbers and serial numbers the system is looking for.
3. Facts presented by people are often conflicting and pure BS..
4. Lots of people think they know what they're talking about, but have never actually done what they're talking about. NTTAWWT - the internet is like that, reader beware (including reading me..)

I found 1 post where someone registered an aftermarket battery using a non-PIWIS tool. I've tried doing this with several tools (iCarScan and Foxwell NT530) and have not been successful, but I'm going to try following the info that I'll quote below and see if I have any success. Some of this info is from the post where someone had succeeded in registering aftermarket battery with an aftermarket tool.

Originally Posted by General Posting
My new battery is a Varta, model 605 901 095.

For part number, I wrote 7p0905105d (original Porsche part number, on my old original battery)
Since I bought Varta and not Porsche, I don't have new Porsche serial number, so I wrote old serial number, changing last letter.
Is it that simple? Dunno, I think I've tried something similar, but not exactly this.

There were claims on the web that the part number entered had to be generated by Porsche based on your VIN# and what accessories your vehicle was equipped with. I suspect that's BS. Aside from it being overly complex, it would limit replacement of the part to a dealership, and in the case of commonly available aftermarket parts a case could be made under the Moss-Magnuson act that if this were the case, the manufacturer must provide the part gratis.

There was also an extensive writeup on a euro battery manufacturer's website describing the different registration processes (open and closed)* and what effect they had on various makes of vehicles. In the majority of cases - the effect is on stop-start, where a new battery won't immediately enable stop-start. They mentioned that the majority of systems were also self-learning and after using a new battery for some short period of time (hours to a week) the system would adjust itself to the new battery. They also made the general statement that no harm would come to the car or the battery as long as the same type of battery at roughly the same capacity was chosen as a replacement battery (type = flooded or AGM, capacity = AmpHours.)

* = open/closed registrations. Open means dump a battery into the car and go about your business, the charging system really doesn't care. Closed means there is some adaptation of the charging system done when a new battery is installed and properly registered.

I'll report back when I have some more time. So far I think what the battery manufacturer claimed was probably correct - for a day or so after I replaced the battery I got the bizarre message "Relieve Steering" when I opened the car door with my fob in my pocket. The steering wasn't locked. Yesterday I took a longish (120 miles) round trip up the NJ Speedway (Turnpike - average indicated speed 80MPH, but being passed my many people..) and since then it stopped doing that. I never use stop/start, but I might turn it on for an experiment to see if it works or not, or if it shows the error warning it did when my old battery was rather tired.

Stay tune - I'll try to update this thread if I sort anything out.
The following users liked this post:
Eskimo1 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 11:30 PM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
In chasing down this rat-hole on battery registration I found a few things:

1. It's not understood
2. Very few people have successfully registered a replacement battery with a non-PIWIS tool, and no one reported a dealer registering a non-Porsche-bought battery with a PIWIS. It's also unclear that dealers DO try to register a replacement battery they sell since they often sell Interstate batteries, which don't have the sort of part-numbers and serial numbers the system is looking for.
3. Facts presented by people are often conflicting and pure BS..
4. Lots of people think they know what they're talking about, but have never actually done what they're talking about. NTTAWWT - the internet is like that, reader beware (including reading me..)

I found 1 post where someone registered an aftermarket battery using a non-PIWIS tool. I've tried doing this with several tools (iCarScan and Foxwell NT530) and have not been successful, but I'm going to try following the info that I'll quote below and see if I have any success. Some of this info is from the post where someone had succeeded in registering aftermarket battery with an aftermarket tool.

Is it that simple? Dunno, I think I've tried something similar, but not exactly this.

There were claims on the web that the part number entered had to be generated by Porsche based on your VIN# and what accessories your vehicle was equipped with. I suspect that's BS. Aside from it being overly complex, it would limit replacement of the part to a dealership, and in the case of commonly available aftermarket parts a case could be made under the Moss-Magnuson act that if this were the case, the manufacturer must provide the part gratis.

There was also an extensive writeup on a euro battery manufacturer's website describing the different registration processes (open and closed)* and what effect they had on various makes of vehicles. In the majority of cases - the effect is on stop-start, where a new battery won't immediately enable stop-start. They mentioned that the majority of systems were also self-learning and after using a new battery for some short period of time (hours to a week) the system would adjust itself to the new battery. They also made the general statement that no harm would come to the car or the battery as long as the same type of battery at roughly the same capacity was chosen as a replacement battery (type = flooded or AGM, capacity = AmpHours.)

* = open/closed registrations. Open means dump a battery into the car and go about your business, the charging system really doesn't care. Closed means there is some adaptation of the charging system done when a new battery is installed and properly registered.

I'll report back when I have some more time. So far I think what the battery manufacturer claimed was probably correct - for a day or so after I replaced the battery I got the bizarre message "Relieve Steering" when I opened the car door with my fob in my pocket. The steering wasn't locked. Yesterday I took a longish (120 miles) round trip up the NJ Speedway (Turnpike - average indicated speed 80MPH, but being passed my many people..) and since then it stopped doing that. I never use stop/start, but I might turn it on for an experiment to see if it works or not, or if it shows the error warning it did when my old battery was rather tired.

Stay tune - I'll try to update this thread if I sort anything out.
I'll be sure to document the result when I change out my battery. I think in August, the battery will be 7 years old. I'll probably change it at 8.

You can trust me Don.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:33 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Whatever guidance I tried to convey was given to me by a Gold Tech at a Porsche dealership when my Varta died on me with 1200 or so miles on the odometer. This is for a 2020 Macan S (sorry should have mentioned it). One of the main questions I asked prior to guying the Launch x431 was whether it did battery registration. I was assured it did. Alas I don't have a Cayenne and what I conveyed or tried to was the best info I had. Sorry it didn't seem to work. But it wasn't BS and I certainly wasn't trying to waste your or my time.

siberian
Old 03-24-2021, 11:35 PM
beanz2
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Did you manage to input the Porsche Part number or did you get an error there as well? Since you're sure you entered a SPACE, maybe place it in quotes so the space takes?

siberian
Yes, I tried that as well. The message is almost comical if it weren’t me failing what I set out to do over the past three nights (imagine the buzzer sound of Family Feud when the contestant guesses the wrong answer):

WRONG! Buzzzzz!!!

I’ll try adding a quote, but seeing that the original part number had a forward slash “/“ included as part of the number, I’m guessing they computer will kick it out as the wrong format again. These engineers must have had a kick writing this program LOL

As a last resort, I’ll just run the DieHard battery unregistered in the car. If not registering it reduces its life expectancy, at half the cost of a battery from Porsche dealership, I can afford to buy two of them!

Last edited by beanz2; 03-24-2021 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:47 PM
beanz2
Track Day

Whatever guidance I tried to convey was given to me by a Gold Tech at a Porsche dealership when my Varta died on me with 1200 or so miles on the odometer. This is for a 2020 Macan S (sorry should have mentioned it). One of the main questions I asked prior to guying the Launch x431 was whether it did battery registration. I was assured it did. Alas I don't have a Cayenne and what I conveyed or tried to was the best info I had. Sorry it didn't seem to work. But it wasn't BS and I certainly wasn't trying to waste your or my time.

siberian

Not at all, siberian. Any input is welcome. It is good that us, end users, are sharing our experiences here. Maybe someday a reader would succeed and posts on how he/she does it and we all can benefit.

This Launch V431 purchase has been fun and was not fruitless. Thanks to 9000RPM, I was able to add a boost gauge reading and accelerometers to my MFD.

Name:  OOENwFrl.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  44.9 KB

Last edited by beanz2; 03-24-2021 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added a pic
The following 3 users liked this post by beanz2:
9000RPM (03-25-2021), Eskimo1 (03-25-2021), LittleBitBent (05-27-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 12:05 AM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by beanz2
Not at all, siberian. Any input is welcome. It is good that us, end users, are sharing our experiences here. Maybe someday a reader would succeed and posts on how he/she does it and we all can benefit.

This Launch V431 purchase has been fun and was not fruitless. Thanks to 9000RPM, I was able to add a boost gauge reading and accelerometers to my MFD.
Do you remember the steps to enable those? I would love to add it to the first post table of contents.

I forget how I enabled it and a few people have asked about it.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:26 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think this just cleared something up. Although you mention that the part number based on VIN is BS, it actually isn't which is why you either have the wrong battery for the car or the wrong serial number. Your initial/current value starts with 7P which is a series number for Touareg and Cayenne. Your new value doesn't prefix to this as it's "00". Could it thus be that this is the wrong battery?

siberian
Old 03-25-2021, 12:49 AM
beanz2
Track Day

Originally Posted by 9000RPM
Do you remember the steps to enable those? I would love to add it to the first post table of contents.

I forget how I enabled it and a few people have asked about it.

I'll try (please don't hold me responsible if this messes up your Porsche)
Bold entry is a menu choice
Italicsis your input.

To activate your boost gauge:
Local Diagnose >
System Selection >
Instrument Cluster >
Code/brush Hiding >
Brush Hidden/Modified >
Search for Coding Items >
Enter: “boost
Select: Board computer menu configuration- Board computer menu configuration byte 0–Boost pressure >
Toggle to: “Active
Write Code

To change the range of boost pressure gauge:
Extended codings— maximum boost pressure for turbo >
Enter coding value desired (initial value 1.2 for Cayenne Diesel)
Write Code

To add accelerometers, steps as above up to:
Search for Coding Items
Enter “acceleration
Board computer menu configuration –-board computer configuration byte 5–lateral acceleration
Toggle to "Active"
Board computer menu configuration –-board computer configuration byte 5–acceleration
Toggle to "Active"
(I believe at this point you must click "Write Code" also)

I may have missed some details here, so forgive me.
This is how I think I did it.
Not a recommendation that you do it.
In fact, don't do as I did

The following users liked this post:
dollarlongnecks (03-29-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 12:56 AM
beanz2
Track Day

I think this just cleared something up. Although you mention that the part number based on VIN is BS, it actually isn't which is why you either have the wrong battery for the car or the wrong serial number. Your initial/current value starts with 7P which is a series number for Touareg and Cayenne. Your new value doesn't prefix to this as it's "00". Could it thus be that this is the wrong battery?

siberian
I don't think that was my remark, someone else may have said it, but, yes, the various BEM sticker pictures I used were obtained from various sources on the internet and not my battery
My battery is a DieHard AGM-H9 with no BEM stickers whatsoever. Who knows the sources of those pictures, could be from a Fiat...

Old 03-25-2021, 01:07 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I know that there is NO direct same for same Varta to Interstate but we used Interstate regularly when I was test driving for VW/Audi. So that leaves us again with the Die Hard and no info. From my quick search NO Die Hard has BEM codes, so there's no way to register this battery and the reason you're not succeeding IMHO.

siberian
Old 03-25-2021, 01:16 AM
beanz2
Track Day

Oh well, I'll see how long this DieHard will last in my Cayenne.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:25 AM
aneki
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The system does not care about the serial number or part number, it only has to match a numbering sequence, it only cares about the AH rating so it can modify the charging accordingly.

I coded my battery successfully with icarsoft I just entered in the default brand in icarsoft the proper porsche part number and put in the old serial number with one digit changed and it coded no problems.
I think people are over analysing the details needed. It’s just code not Porsche magic
The following 3 users liked this post by aneki:
deilenberger (03-25-2021), dollarlongnecks (03-29-2021), jishtu (09-08-2022)
Old 03-25-2021, 01:28 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by aneki
The system does not care about the serial number or part number, it only has to match a numbering sequence, it only cares about the AH rating so it can modify the charging accordingly.

I coded my battery successfully with icarsoft I just entered in the default brand in icarsoft the proper porsche part number and put in the old serial number with one digit changed and it coded no problems.
I think people are over analysing the details needed. It’s just code not Porsche magic
Thank you. That's what I tried to say above - but people take exception with pointing out the nonsense about a Porsche PN obtained via some magic and the VIN#. Yes - Porsche can tell you the Porsche PN by looking it up based on your VIN, but that PN is going to be standard for the Cayenne, not something generated on the spot, just like ANY OTHER part on your Cayenne.

I'll be giving it a try, hopefully this afternoon - and will report back on results.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:50 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The current part number in Beanz2 starting with 7P is part of the Cayenne VIN number applicable to the specific model year. In my Touareg for example being a 2008 it has the part number 7L denoting that year production/model. It's not DERIVED it's part of the part number. The reason, I believe, he couldn't register his battery is that battery is not made for his vehicle since it doesn't provide the data required. Yes it's the right group and size but since it doesn't have a BEM there's nothing he can input that would be accepted. So a word to the wise is having the right group, size is not enough, it must also comprise the label with the aforementioned info.

siberian

Quick Reply: Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion