Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 10:27 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 316 Posts

Thanks for confirming-could you please provide details on which version and vendor you purchased from? Some users reported "License Expired" messages and in some cases the seller's support fixed their problem.
But in an extreme case having to ship it back and forth for repairs would also make it costly if there was to be a problem-
Glad yours worked out
Old 03-12-2021, 10:45 AM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I've had a PIWIS III running for weeks and last I checked it's 2021.
I didn't buy it however, I loaded myself.
My understanding is the PIWIS II allows for more things to be coded without calling home than a III
I could be wrong however since I don't have the PIWIS III hardware yet, it's on a slow boat from china.
My guess why so many people are having troubles with the virtual machines is because when your VM software updates, it changes the BIOS of the VM to the new version number, requiring the PIWIS to be relicensed to the new software.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:30 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
My launch x431 Pro couldn't code battery. Lucky I have PIWIS II and I was able to code it successfully!

This is 3rd thing I have tried using x431 and it failed me.

To anyone debating this, I would strongly suggest getting PIWIS II especially if you are going to add new features (retrofitting) on your Porsche
The menu on PIWIS is made for rocket scientist. X431 for simpleton.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:07 PM
Gary958.2 S
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have been searching this thread and others for Cayenne owners with Factory trailer hitch and wiring. My 2016 S has both, and had a blanking plate where the wiring plug was, so I bought the appropriate plug and spring cover on Amazon, and it installed perfectly, same plug and screw holes. But when I plug in my trailer, I get a very dim flashing right signal on the trailer, that is on all the time, with no change whether I turn on the lights, signals, etc. So there is some sort of minor flashing voltage in the wiring, but otherwise nothing. So how do I find out if I have a "Trailer module" and is there a way to activate it other than the dealer? When I look at the Systems on my X431 V, it shows "Trailer Hitch" but it fails to connect. Does this mean i don't have it at all, or is it the problem I've read here that the X431 cannot access that module (apparently dealer only or PIWIS on CAN bus). Or has anyone found another software "switch" to activate to turn it on?

Regards,
Gary
Old 03-13-2021, 07:41 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary958.2 S
Have been searching this thread and others for Cayenne owners with Factory trailer hitch and wiring. My 2016 S has both, and had a blanking plate where the wiring plug was, so I bought the appropriate plug and spring cover on Amazon, and it installed perfectly, same plug and screw holes. But when I plug in my trailer, I get a very dim flashing right signal on the trailer, that is on all the time, with no change whether I turn on the lights, signals, etc. So there is some sort of minor flashing voltage in the wiring, but otherwise nothing. So how do I find out if I have a "Trailer module" and is there a way to activate it other than the dealer? When I look at the Systems on my X431 V, it shows "Trailer Hitch" but it fails to connect. Does this mean i don't have it at all, or is it the problem I've read here that the X431 cannot access that module (apparently dealer only or PIWIS on CAN bus). Or has anyone found another software "switch" to activate to turn it on?

Regards,
Gary
I have a trailer hitch and module programmed by the dealer , as my X431+ failed to connect "2016 turbo " same as you .
Old 03-13-2021, 07:48 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,327 Likes on 1,383 Posts

I wonder if the system needs to be under load. I know that if you put a voltmeter on the connector without it being connected to a trailer you won't get any voltage reading. Try hooking it up to a trailer and try again, maybe that will work

siberian
Old 03-14-2021, 02:46 PM
Gary958.2 S
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
I wonder if the system needs to be under load. I know that if you put a voltmeter on the connector without it being connected to a trailer you won't get any voltage reading. Try hooking it up to a trailer and try again, maybe that will work

siberian
Thanks both for replies.

Yes, I did try with the trailer on, which is when I got the dimly flashing right taillight, but it's a new folding utility trailer, with all LED lights, I wonder if that (low resistance system) can throw it off. I might try again with a jury-rigged incandescent light socket.

Regarding marinerbc's comment, presuming from your name that you're from BC and near the sea, perchance on the island? If island, which dealer and at what cost? I'm leery of dealer pricing, I might ask my German-car Indie shop first. I was looking for the trailer module, behind the right side panel in the cargo area. I found the connectors, but couldn't see the module itself (7P0 907 383 _). I might have to take the larger panel off to see if I have it. Would want to verify that before going to the dealer/shop and getting hit with a $500 to $1000 bill. (my trailer only cost $1000 CAD)

Gary
Old 03-14-2021, 02:55 PM
Chi-Town
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks both for replies.

Yes, I did try with the trailer on, which is when I got the dimly flashing right taillight, but it's a new folding utility trailer, with all LED lights, I wonder if that (low resistance system) can throw it off. I might try again with a jury-rigged incandescent light socket.

Regarding marinerbc's comment, presuming from your name that you're from BC and near the sea, perchance on the island? If island, which dealer and at what cost? I'm leery of dealer pricing, I might ask my German-car Indie shop first. I was looking for the trailer module, behind the right side panel in the cargo area. I found the connectors, but couldn't see the module itself (7P0 907 383 _). I might have to take the larger panel off to see if I have it. Would want to verify that before going to the dealer/shop and getting hit with a $500 to $1000 bill. (my trailer only cost $1000 CAD)

Gary

From what I've read the factory trailer module does not play well with LED trailer lights.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:00 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Regards,
Gary
I think that has to do with LED bulbs. Do you have LED bulbs in the trailer or standard bulbs? When I plug in a trailer tester that has LED light in it, starts doing funky things. Then I plug in a trailer with standard bulbs and it's all good.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:34 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,327 Likes on 1,383 Posts

You need to place a resistor on the circuit.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 03-14-2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:45 AM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chi-Town
From what I've read the factory trailer module does not play well with LED trailer lights.

PM sent good luck .
Old 03-20-2021, 11:09 PM
Chi-Town
Intermediate

So you can code the trailer module in with x431 but you cannot access it with it.

I'll try and get the screen shots to show how tomorrow.

For those with trailers with LED lights I believe this is the cure

Amazon Amazon

​​​​​

Last edited by Chi-Town; 03-21-2021 at 12:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TMC. (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 09:33 AM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Does anyone have a link to the Cayenne hitch harness and parts on Amazon? I have a 2011 CTT with a hitch but no wiring either.
I'd like to be able to attach a small trailer to mine too.
Thanks
Old 03-21-2021, 09:55 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TMC.
Does anyone have a link to the Cayenne hitch harness and parts on Amazon? I have a 2011 CTT with a hitch but no wiring either.
I'd like to be able to attach a small trailer to mine too.
Thanks
But the VW one it's the exact same if you are buying new...
TMC. (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 11:40 AM
Chi-Town
Intermediate

958-612-506-00 is the Porsche part number.

If you shop around you can find it for under $175

You'll also need the connector to go with it
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...QaAs42EALw_wcB

Last edited by Chi-Town; 03-21-2021 at 02:50 PM.
TMC. (03-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion