Sponsored By:

Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 04:20 PM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sudar
Well both left and right headlight modules are not accessible, x431 cant find them. At this point I am guessing headlights need to be coded in.
I have an appointment at indy tomorrow, hopefully not a big deal

Eh. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a thousand dollar scan tool.

Keep us updated.

Maybe try inputting my default code. Option is replace control module in the system.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:25 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000RPM
Eh. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a thousand dollar scan tool.

Keep us updated.

Maybe try inputting my default code. Option is replace control module in the system.
Can you be more specific? Where should I go to input default code? I have access to Headlights(central) control module, but not Left or Right headlight.
Tech over the phone told me that defaults might need to be coded in, basically as the module was replaced with new or something. Error says that system simply needs to be calibrated with Inactive next to it

Ps. Over at BMW coding factory defaults was a big no no

Edit: I just read your post when you coded defaults to parking brake, I will check some of my coding values if anything is zeroed
Old 01-29-2020, 06:22 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Alight so I can access Central Headlight module, there is Control Unit Replacement then it has 2 options Read and Write. When I click read it just says read successfully and when I click write it says VIN coded successfully. Doesn't give me any options to input anything

If I go straight to Special Functions without going to Module itself, there there is just simple stuff Reset oil light etc but there is no control unit replacement
Old 01-30-2020, 05:12 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Pretty ****ty news....got call from tech and they say Launch could have fried the module because they cant access it even with dealer stuff, on top of it Bose module got messed up when they tried to fix headlights. Now must go to dealer to see if they can program and/or replace modules. And don't even ask me about the cost......yeah it's well over $1k...headlight module alone is $1k plus install, then cost to troubleshoot, and at least $200+ to dealer to code Bose

I guess other can learn from my mistake I should set up GoFundMe campaign to ease the repair costs

Last edited by Sudar; 01-30-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:57 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts

Pretty ****ty news....got call from tech and they say Launch could have fried the module because they cant access it even with dealer stuff, on top of it Bose module got messed up when they tried to fix headlights. Now must go to dealer to see if they can program and/or replace modules. And don't even ask me about the cost......yeah it's well over $1k...headlight module alone is $1k plus install, then cost to troubleshoot, and at least $200+ to dealer to code Bose

I guess other can learn from my mistake I should set up GoFundMe campaign to ease the repair costs
So when you were playing around and making the changes that apparently caused this issue, did you have the car running, or a changer on the battery?

If not, I'm thinking that the voltage dropped too far while you were writing something and that bricked the module.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:55 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
So when you were playing around and making the changes that apparently caused this issue, did you have the car running, or a changer on the battery?

If not, I'm thinking that the voltage dropped too far while you were writing something and that bricked the module.
Car wasn't running but I coded other modules fine, so I dont think it's the battery. At this point it's just guessing.....tech said tool is Chinese and you never know what to expect from it, maybe it fried module by sending some wrong signals or something. Dealer should take a look at it tomorrow. I'll keep this updated
It's very suprising that enabling 1 feature messed up entire module. I did far more advanced coding on my BMW and never had any issues.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:10 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 247 Posts

Car wasn't running but I coded other modules fine, so I dont think it's the battery. At this point it's just guessing.....tech said tool is Chinese and you never know what to expect from it, maybe it fried module by sending some wrong signals or something. Dealer should take a look at it tomorrow. I'll keep this updated
It's very suprising that enabling 1 feature messed up entire module. I did far more advanced coding on my BMW and never had any issues.
What are bummer you are going through. Did you code your BMW with the launch x431?
Old 01-30-2020, 11:33 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
What are bummer you are going through. Did you code your BMW with the launch x431?
No, for BMW had software on PC. Did some minor coding on Lexus with X431, went fine
Old 01-30-2020, 11:36 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if porsche will even take the time to try and fix it or go straight to replacing the module.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:13 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts

If the voltage drops below 12.4v while you are writing to a module, there is a high possibility you can brick it, and that is with any reader, even the PIWIS... I highly recommend you never write to a module without the car running or a charger on the battery. It may work for a few modules, but then kill the next.

And to be honest, all the tools are made in China, and the whole Launch company is built on products made in China, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Heck, if you buy the MAC Tools version of this scanner, it's just a re-brand, and all the same software is used, and all the codes for all the different manufacturers come from the same database.
The following users liked this post:
subaru335i (05-19-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 01:32 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

If the voltage drops below 12.4v while you are writing to a module, there is a high possibility you can brick it, and that is with any reader, even the PIWIS... I highly recommend you never write to a module without the car running or a charger on the battery. It may work for a few modules, but then kill the next.

And to be honest, all the tools are made in China, and the whole Launch company is built on products made in China, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Heck, if you buy the MAC Tools version of this scanner, it's just a re-brand, and all the same software is used, and all the codes for all the different manufacturers come from the same database.
I agree with the hardware assembly in China and possibly the spare parts that go into it, but the software isn't the same. Pretty sure x.431 is a reverse engineered tool of the OE stuff like the PIWIS. Also, the R&D and Q/C that goes into this software isn't the same level as original stuff. Which is why the PIWIS cost so much and the secret coding database requires subscription.

Well.... all that and the P money machine.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:55 AM
mr_hyde
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

A note on this - I was working on a laser/radar/carplay/dashcam/tow module/brake controller when I first got the car so I had the doors open constantly and was turning the ignition on/off, etc. I noticed the battery getting weak on the dash indicator 12.0v so I hooked up my 'big' charger and set it to the low 2A 'Maintain' setting. It kept the battery in the 12.0v range (didn't continue to drop) but it didn't pick up with all the messing around I was doing. I had to kick it onto the 10A 'Charge' setting for the bus to start picking up voltage. The 60A 'Start' is just if I'm doing a compression test or something like cranking up oil pressure on a new engine build. At any rate...

Don't expect a small trickle charger to keep the voltage where you need it to be for coding. Use a real charger or just deal with the car idling...
Old 01-31-2020, 02:59 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Got a call, apparently car is fixed now. Dealer was able to fix both modules. The entire car was reset, so call me stupid but now I have to code things back to where they were with x431 (seatbelt, windows, tailgate beeping etc). My question is, car I code with car running to avoid battery issues?

I might ask tech to help me out and code stuff using Porsche software, but its obviously gonna be extra and I am not sure tech is going to be in shop after my 5pm pickup.

And ps....I should have taken the car to dealer in the first place, that would sure save me time and money.....but who knew.....
Old 01-31-2020, 03:11 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Got a call, apparently car is fixed now. Dealer was able to fix both modules. The entire car was reset, so call me stupid but now I have to code things back to where they were with x431 (seatbelt, windows, tailgate beeping etc). My question is, car I code with car running to avoid battery issues?

I might ask tech to help me out and code stuff using Porsche software, but its obviously gonna be extra and I am not sure tech is going to be in shop after my 5pm pickup.

And ps....I should have taken the car to dealer in the first place, that would sure save me time and money.....but who knew.....
That's great news. Did they say anything about you dickin around in the modules?
Old 01-31-2020, 03:36 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
That's great news. Did they say anything about you dickin around in the modules?
No they didnt say anything. Indy got it to dealer and back. As far as I know bill is $370 for both 1 hour indy and 1 hour dealer. Also got brake fluid done since I brought it to them ($130)
And I still dont know what was the issue. Will try to make it to shop before 5pm to catch Porsche tech and talk to him

Quick Reply: Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion