The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:47 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Only problem with changing the gauge cluster is it is the odometer and has to be noted on the title at time of sale. Not sure if the miles show up correctly on a new cluster?
New clusters need to be programmed by the dealer. Functions like TPMS, radio, navi, sport chroMo, engine mounts, and the correct mileage are all a function of the programming. Once that's done the new cluster will have all the attributes of the old one.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous918
yes, I second that: secretcollector is one of the most experienced people here given how many cars he buys and sells. he even spotted that Mecum 997.1 GT3 RS from Michael *** had bolster replaced - nobody else I know spotted that, including me. very impressive to say the least. props where they are due. as for the auction results, here is my simple take: GOOD TIMES ARE OVER BOYS facts are facts and here are they are: - total gross cars this year was $282M vs. $340M last year (huge decline) - 70% of cars sold below estimate vs. 57% last year let's pause here for a second and process this statistics: almost 3/4 of all cars sold this weekend didn't even reach the lowest estimate number compared to about half of cars last year. OK, let's keep going: - only 28(!!!) cars sold above the top estimate compared to 54 cars last year (almost 50% drop from last year) - price decline overall: this year average price of car sold was $941K while last year it was $990K. factor in an annual inflation number and that is a very significant drop YOY but of course various shady brokers, dubious dealers and their proxies will try to pull the wool over your eyes and say that the cars were not good enough or come up with some other excuse... and they will say that the low miles rare cars command same high premium as before and are always in high demand. that is all bullcrap and you should not don't believe that for a moment. here is a perfect case to prove my point: the delivery miles 1994 Flachbau at Gooding which had estimate of $1,400,000 - $1,800,000 barely sold for $1 million dollars. this car is as rare as it gets and as low miles as it gets and it sold for almost 50% off its high estimate. so don't let this "prices are dropping but cond 1 cars are keeping their prices" bullcrap fool any of you. just as the rising tide lifts all boats, hot air escaping from a pricing bubble equally affects all cars (american proverb) in short: market is adjusting... it is adjusting fast and not in a small way. the numbers from this last weekend speak for themselves folks.
A couple of questions. Aren't "estimates" arbitrary? Set by auction houses? Comparisons vs estimates seems meaningless to me. I looked through some of the catalogues and almost fell off my chair.

Total gross revenue - what were the top ten high sales last year? Any big cars that might have skewed the numbers and avg sale price? How many cars were sold this year vs last?

Finally, the flachbau. Rare car. But isn't the air cooled scene, notably the turbo air cooled scene the epicenter for all things hot that are cooling off? And you once again compared the sale price to an estimate. Was it not a high price paid in recent history? Not surprising to me in the slightest. Just playing devils advocate here...
Old 08-24-2016, 10:27 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 469 Likes on 190 Posts

- total gross cars this year was $282M vs. $340M last year (huge decline)

- price decline overall: this year average price of car sold was $941K while last year it was $990K. factor in an annual inflation number and that is a very significant drop YOY
According to SCM, the preliminary numbers were $345mm this year.
Also, part of the decline in overall sales was due to the fact that RM had a smaller auction (50 fewer cars) due to space constraints.

$941k vs 990k only represents a 5% decline....that's not much even with inflation factored in given that air-cooled Porsches increased in value between 200-400% from 2012-2015.

Looking at the individual sale results gives a much better picture though, as some cars sold for lower than expected and others sold higher. We can't lump the entire market picture into statistics that encompass everything from pre-war historics to modern exotics and everything in between. Each collector niche has its own market trends.

But this thread isn't supposed to be about market discussion, so mods, feel free to delete all this crap!

Old 08-24-2016, 11:17 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I enjoy the discussion, no need to delete any of this.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:29 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,056 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Modena 1
A couple of questions. Aren't "estimates" arbitrary? Set by auction houses? Comparisons vs estimates seems meaningless to me. I looked through some of the catalogues and almost fell off my chair. Total gross revenue - what were the top ten high sales last year? Any big cars that might have skewed the numbers and avg sale price? How many cars were sold this year vs last? Finally, the flachbau. Rare car. But isn't the air cooled scene, notably the turbo air cooled scene the epicenter for all things hot that are cooling off? And you once again compared the sale price to an estimate. Was it not a high price paid in recent history? Not surprising to me in the slightest. Just playing devils advocate here...
Estimates are arbitrary but dollars are dollars. The flachbau for instance has been sold other places for more than 1M so the fact that a delivery mile one here sold for that number is a strong corollary.

Something to consider- yes the estimates are somewhat artificial BUT at the end of the day a lot of them are based on prior action.

I almost bought an F40 with 1490 miles for 1.1M. I just got outbid by a phone guy for 25k at the last min which was probably a proxy bid set pre-auction. The estimate was 1.2-1.4 and I see ferrari f40's listed ALL DAY with more miles for well into that range and know people that have bought 8-10k mile cars for 1.25-1.4. So, despite being a really really nice example of a bonafide super car, people didn't want to lift their hands.

Back on 997 topics-

Mecum DID sell the green 997.1RS for a bunch of cash and it had 15k miles on it or more. I think it went for 285k + buyer fee so that's well into 300k territory.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:51 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Mecum DID sell the green 997.1RS for a bunch of cash and it had 15k miles on it or more. I think it went for 285k + buyer fee so that's well into 300k territory.
This SP500 levitation is getting long in the tooth.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:41 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The prices of the 2 have been equalizing for some time.
Why? Dunno. But the .1 cars are more reliable. Don't have those pesky variocan issues
I think that's way over thinking it. The 7.1's in colors are just pretty. People paying these premiums are not driving the wheels off them and worried about reliability. They are buying toys. And 7.1rs pumpkins and frogs check the visual boxes for collectible toys better than any modern Porsche imo (the only difference is scarce supply on green). 7.2rs better driving experience in every way but the 7.1rs in those colors, decals, wing, etc is just a modern classic. My 7.1rs frog is the most irrational car purchase I've ever made (not a close 2nd) and it puts smile on my face every time I see it: life size match box toy.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:30 PM
TheOz1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Racingsilver!

Any particular reason for selling such a gem!? I see you've gotten your 5k miles out of it and have probably enjoyed it immensely. Just wondering if there were any downsides or "annoyances" you've noticed while owning the car that would compel you to sell it?

Thanks!

theOz
Old 08-26-2016, 12:24 AM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here is my simple take: GOOD TIMES ARE OVER BOYS
Spoken like a true buyer ... will be interesting to see how some of the rarities in London go ... as different from Monterey should blow away the estimates ... but if not then I guess you are right and it is the end of the world as we know it after all
Old 08-26-2016, 12:49 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

For what it's worth, Panorama's sales guide said aircooled and GT collectible pcars were off 10% this year. No chicken little but the bubble has retracted a bit.

Last edited by nwGTS; 08-26-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:31 AM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flachbau
Spoken like a true buyer
i don't think this is a fair comment. i been collecting Porsches for some time now and it would be stupid if i wanted cars i own to drop in value. just because i am a buyer and not a broker, doesn't mean i want my cars to depreciate.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,780 Likes on 1,084 Posts

in short: market is adjusting... it is adjusting fast and not in a small way. the numbers from this last weekend speak for themselves folks.
Fantasic. Let's let the sellers adjust to the new reality so we can get some more toys.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:05 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Fantasic. Let's let the sellers adjust to the new reality so we can get some more toys.
Amen to that!!
Old 08-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't think this is a fair comment. i been collecting Porsches for some time now and it would be stupid if i wanted cars i own to drop in value. just because i am a buyer and not a broker, doesn't mean i want my cars to depreciate.
true ... unless you sell you cant lose money ... but buying more for less is in a buyer's interest if the buyer is a long term holder ... to add to your point there are dealers who will get stuck with inventory they will either have to sell at a loss or hold for awhile ... so depreciation swings hit them. brokers don't typically hold inventory by definition so they roll with the price swings.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:21 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

All illiquid asset prices have softened as everyone has been saying is going to happen, I somewhat hope we just take a dive and get over with it - new election cycle may help with it - pull the band aid

Just bought my RS - not going to lose sleep over it and I'm sure neither is Anonymous

These should be a bit cheaper

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...