Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:59 AM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
.1rs also has reinforced c4 tub and no sunroof which is often overlooked when comparing to .1gt3 .1rs offers its own driving character than the .2rs, it's a bit more raw experience stock to stock.
The regular GT3 body shell is the unique one in the line up. It uses C4 inner structure with the quarters from the narrow width Carrera. The RS body shell is shared with the Carrera 4s.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:00 PM
DriftKr6l
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting.
Are there articles somewhere that go in depth about this?
Old 08-23-2016, 12:36 PM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/650...he-911-gt3-997
Old 08-23-2016, 12:37 PM
DriftKr6l
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
The order guide was published before Carrara white was available on the RS; that was a late addition in response to massive outcry from customers who wanted white. Unless you have an updated order guide that shows something I'm not seeing.

On an earlier page of the guide it states as standard equipment:
"Flared body with lateral decorative stripe Incl. GT3 RS logo in contrasting color, 911 GT3 RS"
Sure thing check your email ...
Old 08-23-2016, 12:53 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
perhaps my dealer was stupid : CARLSEN.
Carlsen's reputation was pretty poor at that time ...
Old 08-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
White was not available at all in the pre-order batch of 2007 RS.
That's possible ...
Old 08-23-2016, 03:50 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

how much of a discount on canadian spec 997.2 GT3 RS's as there seems to be a few on the market currently
Old 08-23-2016, 03:58 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

It's funny how US buyers devalue the Canadian cars. Getting them over here isn't THAT big a deal and the 2.5% duty is often offset by the purchase price. You're big compromise is the numerals on the speedometer.

I guess there must be more to it than my experience leads me to believe.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:00 PM
Sleepy996
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

It just creates another story and if someone is buying one of these to collect dust in hopes they can retire off it in 25 years they don't want another story attached to the car. Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

This past spring I bought a US car that was imported into Canada a few years back. Thankfully after I did my homework I found a previous US title and did not pay the 2.5% import tax when I was crossing the border with it. Some border crossings are more stringent than others in that regard however. Maybe I was lucky.

The purchase/import process is not that difficult although there are a couple of extra layers of paperwork. You can hire an importer to do the paperwork for you for a fee, that usually helps. My title also took forever to arrive after I registered the car with the DMV, but at the end everything worked out just fine.

My car was discounted 7-8% from what a similar one would've sold in the US at the time. Well worth it to me.

And at the end of the day an RS is an RS. It doesn't matter where it's from as long as it's legally here. A Canadian door jamb sticker shouldn't have an impact on its value in the US.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
how much of a discount on canadian spec 997.2 GT3 RS's as there seems to be a few on the market currently
As Ilko notes and like most things, no one wants to do homework. This is not 1987, where one "grey market" car may have been imported correctly or not.

There is no Canadian spec, only North American spec as the same emissions and crash standards are met. The gauge clusters swap from miles to km at the flick of a switch. That includes the digital speedo and the odometer (even USA cars can be changed to km). You will however have a temp gauge in Celsius and the completely unreadable analog speedo will be in km. You can change those of you want by getting replacement cluster for 3k or just leave it.

Importation to USA is 2.85%

Canada economy is more oil dependent and the usdcny reflects these movements.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:09 AM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 289 Posts

Only problem with changing the gauge cluster is it is the odometer and has to be noted on the title at time of sale. Not sure if the miles show up correctly on a new cluster?

Originally Posted by Modena 1
As Ilko notes and like most things, no one wants to do homework. This is not 1987, where one "grey market" car may have been imported correctly or not. There is no Canadian spec, only North American spec as the same emissions and crash standards are met. The gauge clusters swap from miles to km at the flick of a switch. That includes the digital speedo and the odometer (even USA cars can be changed to km). You will however have a temp gauge in Celsius and the completely unreadable analog speedo will be in km. You can change those of you want by getting replacement cluster for 3k or just leave it. Importation to USA is 2.85% Canada economy is more oil dependent and the usdcny reflects these movements.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,626 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Flachbau
Carlsen's reputation was pretty poor at that time ...
their reputation is just as poor now.
though walter's GSM is moving up to my town to head up carlsen. let see how he does. perhaps they may be interested to add 30 porsche purchase from our group on an annual basis. but as you know. dogs can't learn to not eat their own sh*t (chinese proverb)

White was not available at all in the pre-order batch of 2007 RS. When it was available about halfway through, it was something like a 5000 PTS up charge.

In regards to the cars at Mecum, the white/red 997.2 RS was a steal. Very nice car and the seller had PPi data and results in a binder on the windshield of the car.

I know the owner of the 490 mile white 4.0 RS, and his car was obviously immaculate and cost the buyer over 550k.

The issue with Mecum is that a lot of people are bargain hunting there, but unlike their other auctions- the pebble one seems them bringing out fantastic examples.

The red Enzo, f40 with 550 miles, 599 GTO, 997 RS 4.0, 150 mile CGT, green 997 RS, FGT Heritage, Vulcan, LaFerrari, etc etc are all really awesome collector cars.

The guys that bought the super high end stuff there did really well. I was mostly at RM and Gooding due to my event schedule but I examined all the Mecum cars since I stayed there at the Hyatt.

Secret collector is a better judge of the top top tier of cars than I am but I would say that the main limiting factor in any of the auction prices this year was condition. Some people tried to sneak some crappy restorations and potential time bombs through auction and didn't get good results. In order to really ring the bell you need to have a super rare and super desirable no BS no doubt car.
cond 1 cars are really not subject to econ, buyers are out there and will pay up. they are just waiting for the nice car. most of the RS shown were not exactly nice.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:09 AM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

White was not available at all in the pre-order batch of 2007 RS. When it was available about halfway through, it was something like a 5000 PTS up charge.

In regards to the cars at Mecum, the white/red 997.2 RS was a steal. Very nice car and the seller had PPi data and results in a binder on the windshield of the car.

I know the owner of the 490 mile white 4.0 RS, and his car was obviously immaculate and cost the buyer over 550k.

The issue with Mecum is that a lot of people are bargain hunting there, but unlike their other auctions- the pebble one seems them bringing out fantastic examples.

The red Enzo, f40 with 550 miles, 599 GTO, 997 RS 4.0, 150 mile CGT, green 997 RS, FGT Heritage, Vulcan, LaFerrari, etc etc are all really awesome collector cars.

The guys that bought the super high end stuff there did really well. I was mostly at RM and Gooding due to my event schedule but I examined all the Mecum cars since I stayed there at the Hyatt.

Secret collector is a better judge of the top top tier of cars than I am but I would say that the main limiting factor in any of the auction prices this year was condition. Some people tried to sneak some crappy restorations and potential time bombs through auction and didn't get good results. In order to really ring the bell you need to have a super rare and super desirable no BS no doubt car.
yes, I second that: secretcollector is one of the most experienced people here given how many cars he buys and sells. he even spotted that Mecum 997.1 GT3 RS from Michael *** had bolster replaced - nobody else I know spotted that, including me. very impressive to say the least. props where they are due.

as for the auction results, here is my simple take: GOOD TIMES ARE OVER BOYS

facts are facts and here are they are:

- total gross cars this year was $282M vs. $340M last year (huge decline)
- 70% of cars sold below estimate vs. 57% last year

let's pause here for a second and process this statistics: almost 3/4 of all cars sold this weekend didn't even reach the lowest estimate number compared to about half of cars last year.

OK, let's keep going:

- only 28(!!!) cars sold above the top estimate compared to 54 cars last year (almost 50% drop from last year)
- price decline overall: this year average price of car sold was $941K while last year it was $990K. factor in an annual inflation number and that is a very significant drop YOY

but of course various shady brokers, dubious dealers and their proxies will try to pull the wool over your eyes and say that the cars were not good enough or come up with some other excuse... and they will say that the low miles rare cars command same high premium as before and are always in high demand. that is all bullcrap and you should not don't believe that for a moment. here is a perfect case to prove my point: the delivery miles 1994 Flachbau at Gooding which had estimate of $1,400,000 - $1,800,000 barely sold for $1 million dollars. this car is as rare as it gets and as low miles as it gets and it sold for almost 50% off its high estimate.

so don't let this "prices are dropping but cond 1 cars are keeping their prices" bullcrap fool any of you. just as the rising tide lifts all boats, hot air escaping from a pricing bubble equally affects all cars (american proverb)

in short: market is adjusting... it is adjusting fast and not in a small way. the numbers from this last weekend speak for themselves folks.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...