Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 04:11 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Strongest 997.2 sale I've seen in a while. BaT looks to be the spot in you're a seller

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-porsche-911-gt3/

106 + 5k buyers fee
Old 10-30-2017, 04:14 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Or... That’s just where the market is. But don’t tell that to those looking to buy one on the cheap
Old 10-31-2017, 01:46 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Bat auction is a great comp for buyers and sellers. It's confirmation that a 30k mile / front and rear bumper replaced & painted and or just painted / cigarette hole in non factory delivered driver seat will bring in the 106+5=111k sales price. Imo, a 30k mile original paint/ well taken care of example- non tracked - dme clean above range 2 - no story car should bring in 115-125k. I am sure many of the lower priced cars out there show some signs of wear otherwise they would be purchased and in a new home. Just my opinion folks, I simply feel these cars are so darn special and getting enough eyeballs on them will reflect true market value. Good job Bat.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:38 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver
Bat auction is a great comp for buyers and sellers. It's confirmation that a 30k mile / front and rear bumper replaced & painted and or just painted / cigarette hole in non factory delivered driver seat will bring in the 106+5=111k sales price. Imo, a 30k mile original paint/ well taken care of example- non tracked - dme clean above range 2 - no story car should bring in 115-125k. I am sure many of the lower priced cars out there show some signs of wear otherwise they would be purchased and in a new home. Just my opinion folks, I simply feel these cars are so darn special and getting enough eyeballs on them will reflect true market value. Good job Bat.
I have mixed feelings on this result. Honestly, I think it went for too much money - the car had question marks and a bad Carfax.

I've seen better cars (and I have a better car) sitting at $110k unsold.
If this sale determined the market, my yellow 2010 with $12k in recent maintenance and upgrades, zero paintwork, clean DME, buckets, and WAY cleaner than this car, would be worth $120k. But it isn't.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:43 AM
Ryan_G
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
I have mixed feelings on this result. Honestly, I think it went for too much money - the car had question marks and a bad Carfax.

If this sale determined the market, my yellow 2010 with $12k in recent maintenance and upgrades, zero paintwork, clean DME, buckets, and WAY cleaner than this car, would be worth $120k. But it isn't.
I agree that this car went for too much. The thing people need to remember about BAT auctions is that desired cars often go for top dollar. This is because it is an easy auction platform and people become emotionally invested. It is much easier to keep justifying the next bid once you have already committed to the purchase. This same dynamic does not exist in a car with an online listing where you are negotiating on a price directly with the seller and not competing against others in the same way. I have seen tons of cars on BAT go for absolute top dollar or over market value due to the platform and the ease of bidding.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:38 AM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Thanks for chiming in. This echos my feelings as well though I clearly do not have the knowledge base that you posses. It probably will have sellers lining up to list on their site though
Old 10-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 279 Posts
Default BAT

What percentage of BAT buyers actually go through with the purchase after winning the auction? I have heard that the stats on eBay are not that great.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:48 AM
Ryan_G
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
What percentage of BAT buyers actually go through with the purchase after winning the auction? I have heard that the stats on eBay are not that great.
I would hazard a guess that it is high 90%. The buyer pays the BAT fee of 5% immediately if the auction closes above reserve. It is charged to your credit card on file and you cannot get that back. So unless there is some sort of problem found with the car or something unexpected happens I doubt very many people at all back out.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:33 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

So, who's going to volunteer their no stories .2 GT3 to list on BAT to really get a sense of where the market is?
Old 10-31-2017, 12:58 PM
ZombieBranz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I follow the 997 GT3 prices a bit....and own a .1 and yes I also agree this .2 went for more than market. A previous owner commented that it had some engine issues...buyer was requesting to contact him for more info in the comments section...so wonder if that one will go thru. I thought the .1 GT3 before this one also went over market.

also see there is already another 997.1 GT3 up; white, 8400 mi

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...che-911-gt3-3/

If these BAT auctions are telling us something...it might be there is actually a decent buyer pool for these cars but there is a disconnect between buyers finding sellers...Or maybe people just get hyped up buying on the BAT format and can't stop themselves...or they don't bother to price compare or search the car forums..

Switchcars seems to both sell a good amount of these cars and also keeps logs of them so know them quite well. If anyone can give an accurate appraisal of current dealer and private party sales prices on 997's I think he can.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:35 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombieBranz
Or maybe people just get hyped up buying on the BAT format and can't stop themselves...or they don't bother to price compare or search the car forums..
This is the only explanation I can muster. People must get caught in the hype on that site. Another example is the car immediately after that gt3 which was a BMW 1M that sold for $67.2k inclusive of the fee. Very fun and rare car and that example looked to be very clean, but there are much better deals out there that have been sitting for quite some time. IMO the 1M sale was 20% above market. There is a white one in Dallas with fewer miles advertised at $50k that has not moved for eight months.

I am convinced that if I ever decide to sell a niche sports car, that I will do my best to get it on that site because they get top dollar.

I have been a "hobbyist" follower of the gt3 market (a dream car of mine, but cannot justify a purchase any time soon) and purely based on which cars sell quickly and which ones sit, my gut tells me this one was a FANTASTIC deal for the seller of a car that had question marks. Again, I am really a window shopper so no insider sales information.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:02 PM
2000m2
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm continually amazed at the prices people pay on BaT when a simple internet search will turn up the same car for quite a bit less. Great for sellers though.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:42 PM
Sleepy996
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

Why not list it on BAT ?

Old 10-31-2017, 08:54 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000m2
I'm continually amazed at the prices people pay on BaT when a simple internet search will turn up the same car for quite a bit less. Great for sellers though.
But with Bat, you can buy from the convenience of your own home without ever going out to test drive or waste time dealing with liars and con artists.

The platform is well respected thus instills confidence in buyers so they pay more believing there's no downside of getting stuck with a misrepresented vehicle.

The commentators help by picking the cars apart so the buyer feels like he/she knows what's on the table.

The pictures are very clear, the descriptions are concise, it's just enough good information to leap in and buy a car online with confidence.

Bottom line- Its a trusted source and getting what you want "right now" with a 7-10% mark-up from the other cars advertised elsewhere seems like a pretty reasonable surcharge to pay.

Last but not least, It's great for the lazy buyer who would rather take a chance and buy site unseen instead of working at finding the right car and saving some money after doing some leg work.

My 2 cents.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:41 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver
But with Bat, you can buy from the convenience of your own home without ever going out to test drive or waste time dealing with liars and con artists.

The platform is well respected thus instills confidence in buyers so they pay more believing there's no downside of getting stuck with a misrepresented vehicle.

The commentators help by picking the cars apart so the buyer feels like he/she knows what's on the table.

The pictures are very clear, the descriptions are concise, it's just enough good information to leap in and buy a car online with confidence.

Bottom line- Its a trusted source and getting what you want "right now" with a 7-10% mark-up from the other cars advertised elsewhere seems like a pretty reasonable surcharge to pay.

Last but not least, It's great for the lazy buyer who would rather take a chance and buy site unseen instead of working at finding the right car and saving some money after doing some leg work.

My 2 cents.
Funny, most of the high dollar cars I see on there have more mystery surrounding them than most. The last car had some DME sketchiness and some prior paintwork that wasn't well explained. The auctions also don't leave you with a ton of time to get a PPI done to discover any additional issues.

As shown with the last 997.1 GT3 that Doug pointed out an additional unreported accident and possible frame damage, BaT doesn't really do the best job of uncovering or disclosing potential issues for the buyer.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...