Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Heading off into the wild for a week so I needed to drive the 997 and stave off withdrawals...and I figured I'd give the wheels some love before Werks Reunion...
Attached Images   
Old 08-05-2015, 12:28 PM
n1gels
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shiny! No wheel shame for das beast!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:49 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NOT easy to keep calipers looking great...nice job!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 761 Posts
Default What did you do to your 997 today?

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
NOT easy to keep calipers looking great...nice job!
This is a pampered car!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been wanting to do this for a while. Swapped inner 997.2 PSE exhaust tips with a fellow RL member. I had the GTS PSE tips, with matte black shrouds and polished silver inner tips. He had the standard PSE tips, which come with matte silver shrouds over polished/gloss black inner tips. Pretty straightforward swap, though it seems the final diameter of each car's exhaust pipes are slightly different, so I had to manipulate the new-to-me tips' fastening collars quite a bit to find a perfect fit. In the end, they're rock solid, and they look great!

The GTS factory setup. Before I bought the car, I wasn't thrilled with the shrouded configuration. Now that I've had them a while, and I've handled them myself, and cleaned them, and studied them up close, I have to say, I have really grown to like the two-layer tips. They definitely look special and unique. I just pictured them looking even better as an all black combo.

Sorry about the grainy photo. Just showing the GTS tips, deconstructed:

And both sets, all cleaned up and disassembled. The polished silver inner tips are seemingly a bit more robust than the gloss black inner tips, which came to me a bit oxidized and rough. A quick polish really helped to clean them up, though they're still far from perfect:

Pretty cool "free" mod! I love the matte and glossy black finishes together:

Fellow RL member's car is Platinum Silver, and so this new setup should brighten up the rear of his car a lot! Nice and clean look:

New "GTS+" setup on the car:

Thanks for reading. Thanks, RL.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:35 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts
Default What did you do to your 997 today?

I particularly like the GTS + look.
Nice work.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:41 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
I've been wanting to do this for a while. Swapped inner 997.2 PSE exhaust tips with a fellow RL member. I had the GTS PSE tips, with matte black shrouds and polished silver inner tips. He had the standard PSE tips, which come with matte silver shrouds over polished/gloss black inner tips. Pretty straightforward swap, though it seems the final diameter of each car's exhaust pipes are slightly different, so I had to manipulate the new-to-me tips' fastening collars quite a bit to find a perfect fit. In the end, they're rock solid, and they look great!

The GTS factory setup. Before I bought the car, I wasn't thrilled with the shrouded configuration. Now that I've had them a while, and I've handled them myself, and cleaned them, and studied them up close, I have to say, I have really grown to like the two-layer tips. They definitely look special and unique. I just pictured them looking even better as an all black combo.

And both sets, all cleaned up and disassembled. The polished silver inner tips are seemingly a bit more robust than the gloss black inner tips, which came to me a bit oxidized and rough. A quick polish really helped to clean them up, though they're still far from perfect:

Fellow RL member's car is Platinum Silver, and so this new setup should brighten up the rear of his car a lot! Nice and clean look:

Those look terrific, especially on a white GTS.
I thought about what they look like on my GTS but I think it would be too much. Great idea and thanks for sharing.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys!

These go well with the all black center lock nuts and black center caps I got for the wheels. IMO, the GTSes look great with the added little black-out details.

Oh, and E., amazing PGTS interior. Really love that car. Congrats again.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:59 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Very nice!!!

Do you make house calls?!

Originally Posted by Ten Years

Old 08-06-2015, 09:02 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
This is a pampered car!!!
Yup but also no Garage Queen!

P.S. Already going through withdrawals but enjoying the quiet time...
Old 08-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by david
Very nice!!!

Do you make house calls?!
Haha, thanks!

Maybe more people will try this mini-mod out. Both parties end up with something greater than what they started out with, IMO. The standard PSE tips, with their silver shrouds and black tips, especially, look better post-swap. And the black/black "GTS+" tips look meaner each time I go out to look (lovingly) at them.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I love your "GTS+" tips!

Why are exhaust tips so expensive for this car?!?!?!?!
Old 08-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blu311
I love your "GTS+" tips!

Thanks for the kind words. No kidding. The GTS tips are $1,100, and I think the standard PSE tips are the same, which makes it unrealistic to buy the opposite of what you have, to make the swap.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUGTSTIP.html

It also makes this "free mod" all the more satisfying when it all works out! I'm very thankful it came together so nicely. Gotta love this community.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:31 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu311
I love your "GTS+" tips!

I've wondered the same thing many times. Other parts seem pretty reasonable but when I first got my '06-S the tips were pretty messed up. Figuring my time was worth something, I went looking for new tips. $400+ was the cheapest I found and that was for used ebay tips.

So I loosened two bolts, removed the old tips and spent a 1/2 hour sanding them down and shot them with black bbq paint. Good to go!
Old 08-07-2015, 11:03 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Took the pcar to the gym this morning in the South Loop. There's a red 993 parked there all the time in the same spot. I took the liberty to park next to it knowing both my sides were protected by the soccer mom suv's.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?