Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 01:31 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Well the heart ache continued today, after yesterdays inspection decided to get low & check the car from all angles & what started as being me cursing for about 10 mins turned into an all day correction, which looks set to continue well into & over the weekend.
Sadly I feel betrayed by the body shop guy, his work is top notch (when he's not near a rotary) I don't know if I will ever use him again!

Black car owners avert your eyes:

Before & after of the fuel filler and then the weekends work!
Attached Images     
Old 01-28-2016, 03:14 PM
socalarchitect
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technically not on my 997.1 TT but ....

before ... after; new shop lights!
Old 01-29-2016, 12:10 AM
Paqueras
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Late night detailing and Spacers 10mm Front and 15mm Rear
Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Makosurf
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCGMS
Changed my front brake pads and rotors. It really is very straightforward, as long as you have all the right tools. This is the sort of thing I never would have even thought to try if it weren't for the forums, so thanks guys!
I know its probably listed somewhere, but I'm getting close to needing to re-do mine and would love to see your tool list and what you paid for parts. I did my own on my Q7 and was surprised how easy it was, once I bought the right tools!
Old 01-29-2016, 10:48 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ni_Mo
Well the heart ache continued today, after yesterdays inspection decided to get low & check the car from all angles & what started as being me cursing for about 10 mins turned into an all day correction, which looks set to continue well into & over the weekend.
Sadly I feel betrayed by the body shop guy, his work is top notch (when he's not near a rotary) I don't know if I will ever use him again!

Wow, he really did a number on your car! That is really too bad, but at least you were able to clean it up really nice. Great job. I would love to know what steps you used and products. Please share.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:03 PM
D.Kinsey
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ni_Mo

So why did he have a DA on your car?
Old 01-30-2016, 04:41 AM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 996scott
Wow, he really did a number on your car! That is really too bad, but at least you were able to clean it up really nice. Great job. I would love to know what steps you used and products. Please share.
996scott I used this process, it works for me:
I have a rotary & a dual action polisher, a dual action is a lot safer to use on paint, as it's not so aggressive like a rotary which can leave buffer trails in the paint if not in the hands of a pro, as per my car.

I started with a Chemical Guys orange hex logic pad & Meguiars M105 with the dual action - I found the orange pad didn't have enough cut to remove the marks from the rotary, so moved to a Lake Country blue cutting pad with the M105 & dual action, much better.

After removing most of the buffer trials I stepped down to a Lake Country orange pad with the M105 & dual action.

Finished with a Sonax black polishing pad with Meguiars M205 - for the spit polish.

I got into doing my own paint correction after watching junkman2000 a few years ago on Youtube, if you watch his "How To for Novices to Machine Polishing" it's an excellent guide.

I practiced on a friends run around car which he really didn't care what I did to it, if you can do one panel you can do the whole car!

Originally Posted by D.Kinsey
So why did he have a DA on your car?
He had his rotary on my car as I live in a condo, so washing my car is not an easy task, so I went to my local coin operated car wash & use just the pressure washers, while pressure washing the dust off my p car the nozzle came off the pressure washer & hit the front wing, which left a nice 2 inch scratch & slight dent! The owner was apologetic and he covered all repair costs. Took it to my body shop guy who did a superb repair, while it was there he said do you want me to give it a quick once over & polish it up & get some wax on there for you, agreed a price & left it with him.

Initially it was like new, however after reading on various detailing forums a lot of waxes fill in lots of marks, swirls etc., so over a period of time the wax eventually gets washed away & then sometimes you get what I have.

I never really get down & inspect the car from below upwards, never had a reason to, & with the halogen lamp everything became clear, or not so clear depends if you're looking at my car door

All the detail forums that I have read generally follow this rule (it is a generalization): Body shops are for body and paint repair, detaillers are for correcting your paint from what the body shop guys have done
Old 01-30-2016, 10:58 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Today my 2006 997S finally hit 18,000 kms on the odo (I bought it 15 months ago with 11k kms). Apparently the car is so appreciative that it's finally being driven it sent me a special message on the LCD.

Last edited by SJP3003; 01-30-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:30 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Carbon fiber bits added
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2016, 11:33 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Carbon fiber bits added
After
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2016, 08:53 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
After
Terra cotta interior? Looks awesome...T
Old 01-31-2016, 08:56 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Drove it about 80 miles round trip to a market to get some Meyer lemons! Actually, that'd be silly. I needed ricotta and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese too.
T
Old 01-31-2016, 09:12 PM
socalarchitect
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New center caps .....

before .... after .... helps when you give it a wash too.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:47 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by socalarchitect
New center caps .....

before .... after .... helps when you give it a wash too.
Nice. What wheels are those?
T
Old 01-31-2016, 10:05 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

picked up used 997.2 S side mufflers to send to Fister for modification!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?