Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Exchanged the '911 wave' with a guy in a 930 the other day.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:18 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

hi simon

it won't hurt to try, as the led loom connector is plugged in to the the edge of the LED CLOSE TO THE SIDE of the car….

to be safe i would do 2 things
- disconnect the side marker as well and stuff the side marker connector plug back inside the bumper … i think this will help prevent damage if the bumper bends a bit too much. before stuffing the side marker connector back inside the bumper i would connect a small rope/string to it so that you can fish it out … it will be a pita to pull it back out thru afterwards.

- disconnect the bumper screws underneath the the lower side lip flaps on both sides of the bumper. again allowing more room.

are you trying to tap into a 12v ignition power source for the new delray headlamps? i assume for the DRL ring?

very importantly keep in mind that the power for both sides of the LEDs and side markers comes from ONE side of the car (passenger if i recall correctly) meaning that even if you are able to disconnect the driver side LED connector, there may not be enough slack in the cable itself for you to be able to pull out of the fender for you to dice and splice up (not sure if you know what i am saying).

Originally Posted by Psymon
Hey Michael,

Congrats again on the transformation. Look forward to see the rear when done!

Im getting ready for my headlight upgrade.... Can this harness be accessed from behind the wheelwell without having to remove the front bumper cover? Im looking for a place to tab to the middle part of the led light on the bumper.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info, Michael.

I'm trying to tap into the power source that is currently feeding the LED "stripe" DRL .2 (it's currently been configured that it comes on as soon as engine starts, even if the light switch is OFF. And switch to position 1 turns off the DRL and switch on the LED lights at the bottom)

I managed to located and can access (without the bumper cover off) the "hot" wire feeding the DRL, so I just need to find a place to wire the ground. I think I'll remove the liners in the frunk to look around first.

And yes it's for the DRL ring for the new headlight (got directly from Taiwan, not delray).

Originally Posted by myw
hi simon

it won't hurt to try, as the led loom connector is plugged in to the the edge of the LED CLOSE TO THE SIDE of the car….

to be safe i would do 2 things
- disconnect the side marker as well and stuff the side marker connector plug back inside the bumper … i think this will help prevent damage if the bumper bends a bit too much. before stuffing the side marker connector back inside the bumper i would connect a small rope/string to it so that you can fish it out … it will be a pita to pull it back out thru afterwards.

- disconnect the bumper screws underneath the the lower side lip flaps on both sides of the bumper. again allowing more room.

are you trying to tap into a 12v ignition power source for the new delray headlamps? i assume for the DRL ring?

very importantly keep in mind that the power for both sides of the LEDs and side markers comes from ONE side of the car (passenger if i recall correctly) meaning that even if you are able to disconnect the driver side LED connector, there may not be enough slack in the cable itself for you to be able to pull out of the fender for you to dice and splice up (not sure if you know what i am saying).
Old 05-12-2015, 12:59 PM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sooner
Installed Sharkwerks bypass pipes (center muffler).
Any trouble? How does it change the sound from inside the car?
Old 05-12-2015, 01:16 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

check pm.

edit - sorry just re-read your post more carefully after sending you a pm. in both sides of the harness the BROWN wire is the ground; any of the brown wires should work no problem (including the one in the SIDE MARKERS itself - perhaps the easier).

hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Psymon
Thanks for the info, Michael.

I'm trying to tap into the power source that is currently feeding the LED "stripe" DRL .2 (it's currently been configured that it comes on as soon as engine starts, even if the light switch is OFF. And switch to position 1 turns off the DRL and switch on the LED lights at the bottom)

I managed to located and can access (without the bumper cover off) the "hot" wire feeding the DRL, so I just need to find a place to wire the ground. I think I'll remove the liners in the frunk to look around first.

And yes it's for the DRL ring for the new headlight (got directly from Taiwan, not delray).

Last edited by myw; 05-12-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

3m added on
- front bumper/toe hook + LEDs

also modified the oem licence plate bracket to connect properly without drilling holes in the front bumper.

the end of playing with the 911 is happily about to come to a close.
Attached Images  

Last edited by myw; 05-12-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
3m added on - front bumper/toe hook + LEDs
DIY project?

Originally Posted by myw
also modified the oem licence plate bracket to connect properly without drilling holes in the front bumper.
Good job
Old 05-12-2015, 08:03 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

the 3m hell no (i have no skills) … the licence plate bracket yes lol.

Originally Posted by ElectricChair
DIY project?

Good job
Old 05-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by upier
Any trouble? How does it change the sound from inside the car?
Had a local shop do the install. About 45 min with me looking over his shoulder. I could have done it myself but much easier on a lift.

As for sound, not too much louder just a deeper throatier sound above 3500. I like it a lot. It's a good 1st step.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 PM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a local shop do the install. About 45 min with me looking over his shoulder. I could have done it myself but much easier on a lift.

As for sound, not too much louder just a deeper throatier sound above 3500. I like it a lot. It's a good 1st step.
Thanks I think this will be my first mod. I think I will do it myself.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:27 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by upier
Thanks I think this will be my first mod. I think I will do it myself.
I keep trying to convince my wife to do this. She thinks the exhaust is loud enough as it is; I disagree. Thing is, I live only 30 miles away from Sharkwerk's HQ in Fremont so I would have them do it as I'm sure they know their product better than anyone. Plus I used to live there and have a buddy who's currently unemployed, so he and I could do lunch and have a couple of beers while the work was being performed. Someday ... maybe someday.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:46 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by dalancroft
I keep trying to convince my wife to do this. She thinks the exhaust is loud enough as it is; I disagree. Thing is, I live only 30 miles away from Sharkwerk's HQ in Fremont so I would have them do it as I'm sure they know their product better than anyone. Plus I used to live there and have a buddy who's currently unemployed, so he and I could do lunch and have a couple of beers while the work was being performed. Someday ... maybe someday.
+1 for the Sharkwerks bypass. It is a very easy DIY and sounds really good at mid to high RPM's.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Your wife will never notice, just keep the revs under 3000 or so as you drive away. If she's in the car with you, just distract her in some other way 😄.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your wife will never notice, just keep the revs under 3000 or so as you drive away. If she's in the car with you, just distract her in some other way ��.
It's her DD, about 22 miles (mostly highway on I-280, Northern California's version of the Autobahn, most cars going 75-80 or more) each way -- I'm pretty sure she'd notice!!!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 141 Posts

Got my first ticket in the Porsche.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?