Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 11:14 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Hung the PCA's 60th Anniversary window sticker, although I can't understand what they were thinking when they designed a rectangular sticker?! I'll probably move it to the rear window or???

Also, Wayne Smith & I wandered the paddock and saw some practice runs at the 2015 CSRG David Love Memorial at Sears Point. Massive amounts of special hardware and equal parts of rumble...here are a few Porsche related snaps...
Attached Images               
Old 04-13-2015, 12:09 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Is your car stock suspension wise (other than the DSC of course)? All of the positive reviews on this product are getting hard to ignore!
It's relatively stock. It has the original (I think) factory shocks & struts, and I'm at 86,000 miles as of today! But I did install Eibach sway bars front and rear a few weeks ago.

I had been going back and forth about buying coil overs vs. lowering springs and maybe just new OEM dampers - but after speaking with Tom at TPC and a few others on the forum, it seemed like the best and most cost effective approach was to buy the box, install it and see how it feels.

Tom had recommended his sway bars and the DSC set up as a solid choice, and I have to admit, I'm very impressed, even though the eibachs are probably notably lower rent than his.

Could I use new dampers? Maybe. But these ones suddenly feel like they're new again. It's really cool, and if your car already has the 3 axis accelerometer, the DSC controller is an absolute no brainer. If you don't solder much, and need to add the 3 accelerometer, it's still a no brainer, but there's an element of "am I really doing this?" that happens when you're splicing the cables on your own ECU.

Totally worth it in my opinion.

- David them pix from the CSRG look great. I couldn't get up there this time, but I love it when the grass is still green up there and all the vintage big boys come out.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:11 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

finally installed transit blu HF. really slick for the money.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:19 AM
VicDOMizer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the Dension Gateway 500S BT... still needs some tweeks but it works!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:36 PM
tigerspill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced my battery.
Returned home after a few days away and turned the key. All I got was a click.
Charged over night and the battery wouldn't take any charge.
New battery installed and all is good again.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
finally installed transit blu HF. really slick for the money.

About time you got it installed Michael, I mounted the button in exactly the same place! Just perfect to reach
Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
2 new rear Michelin Pilot Super Sports (Yesterday)

And I also installed the TPC Racing DSC unit and the 3 axis accelerometer on Thursday night. As I have a cab, the accelerometer install is notably different than those with the coupes, as the top mechanicals and hardware, roll hoops etc are kind of in the way. I've been emailing with Tom at TPC to find the best location for the accelerometer, and so far I am really impressed with the unit - he says I can probably improve it a little further by moving the unit slightly more to the left of where I have it now, so I can't wait to get back in there and tweak it a little.

First reactions to it, once I got to the mountain roads were - I found myself actually laughing out loud as I entered the first switchbacks.

A couple days into it, I can say it seems a shame that the factory Porsche PASM isn't just made this way by default, but also it's a blessing that Tom and his engineers were thoughtful enough to make this product for us to buy. It really is as others have said, an absolutely amazing improvement over the stock suspension behavior.

It was fun to bust out the old soldering gun - been a long time since I've had occasion to use one.
Comanche_699.

I understand what the TPC Racing DSC does, but what does the 3 axis accelerometer do? Was the 3 axis accelerometer required to be installed with the DSC unit?
Old 04-13-2015, 05:10 PM
IX XI
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gota911
Comanche_699.

I understand what the TPC Racing DSC does, but what does the 3 axis accelerometer do? Was the 3 axis accelerometer required to be installed with the DSC unit?
The 997.1 cars require the 3-axis accelerometer since they come standard with only a 2-axis version.

The 997.2 cars come from the factory with a 3-axis accelerometer so with a 997.2 you only have to order the DSC module.

The TPC DSC module requires a 3-axis accelerometer to work its magic. And magic it does work! Great mod.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:13 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699

First reactions to it, once I got to the mountain roads were - I found myself actually laughing out loud as I entered the first switchbacks.

A couple days into it, I can say it seems a shame that the factory Porsche PASM isn't just made this way by default, but also it's a blessing that Tom and his engineers were thoughtful enough to make this product for us to buy. It really is as others have said, an absolutely amazing improvement over the stock suspension behavior.

Glad to hear you got a chance to test it out some more. It gets better and better the more I push it.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:19 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
Very windy and got moved around some.

I was going to post something about this in a separate post...

Is this typical for a 911 to get blown all over the road? I've never had a car this squirrely when the wind picks up; and I've had several miatas in the low 2000lb range. I realize the 911 has a higher profile than a miata and a different weight distribution but it's also a 1000lbs heavier.

When I was driving around Saturday, I had to stay on top of the car the whole time because it was getting tossed around so much.

Normal? Maybe due to or aggravated by the very aggressive alignment? The car handles great and isn't a handful or squirrely until the wind picks up.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:04 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by motopix
I was going to post something about this in a separate post...

Is this typical for a 911 to get blown all over the road? I've never had a car this squirrely when the wind picks up; and I've had several miatas in the low 2000lb range. I realize the 911 has a higher profile than a miata and a different weight distribution but it's also a 1000lbs heavier.

When I was driving around Saturday, I had to stay on top of the car the whole time because it was getting tossed around so much.

Normal? Maybe due to or aggravated by the very aggressive alignment? The car handles great and isn't a handful or squirrely until the wind picks up.
Anecdotal but I live in Chicago (windy city something something) and I get tossed around a bit on the highway in wind too. I noticed it and thought it was unusual for such a low car. It was in no way dangerous like it used to be in my old Explorer but merely noticeable.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Traded in one 997 for another, somber and ecstatic at the same time! Tried a 991 before, wasn't really my thing. First order of business - home depot run. Parked next to another 997 targa who was loading some wood into his frunk. We glanced at each other and laughed.
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Played with my Durametric and tried coding for the first time last night. Turned off the DRLs (required for Canada) and turned on the side markers as turn signals too.

Thanks to Petza914 for the write up on the coding process.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:32 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

is there a link for this? i would be interested in doing this!

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Played with my Durametric and tried coding for the first time last night. Turned off the DRLs (required for Canada) and turned on the side markers as turn signals too.

Thanks to Petza914 for the write up on the coding process.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
is there a link for this? i would be interested in doing this!
Easier if I just post it again than trying to find where I originally found the PDF!

To recap though - both the side markers as signals and DRL coding are in the 'Front' module. DRL just switch it to 'non mandatory', and the side marker there are only two options, I can't recall the precise wording, but if you don't have it now, just change it to the other one. Cake. I was done in 10 minutes.
Attached Images

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?