Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:23 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts
Default What did you do to your 997 today?

Originally Posted by malahhaor
Love it. What did you use to tint?
Lamin-x P011T Headlight Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C1UX6Y..._.nKpvb0NJW2WH

You absolutely need a heat gun to do this. A hairdryer might work in a pinch but probably will not get hot enough. The kit includes a squeegee for smoothing, a razor blade for trimming and a little spritzer for coifing your hair/lubricating the light and film.

I took the lights off the car which is a two minute job. It's much easier that way and you won't worry about accidentally damaging your paint. Just hold them between your legs while sitting on the floor and you can move them and smooth them at the same time. Took under an hour for both lights from extracting to reinstalling them.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts

Just hold them between your legs while sitting on the floor
You might damage something else doing that......
Old 04-27-2015, 12:37 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by malahhaor
No, that's a B&M shifter. I think Numeric is too much for my needs. But in retrospect, I'm a little afraid this will happen again and I'll be stranded. So I keep wondering if I should have gotten Numeric cables instead of stock Porsche.
my thoughts exactly… will wait for cable to arrive vs going oem.

Originally Posted by nwGTS

very nice. looks sinister
Old 04-27-2015, 12:47 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Going to load in my FVD tune today using the handheld device.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC911S
Going to load in my FVD tune today using the handheld device.
Did you do a pre-flash dyno? Will you do a post?
Old 04-27-2015, 02:30 PM
DC911S
Drifting

No maybe later I'll do that.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:07 PM
jets
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been researching how to get the new 991.1 GTS smoked headlight look on the 997.2 GTS. Apart from breaking the headlamps....apart....there aren't any DIY options (though I saw there is a new product posted from DelReyCustoms). I didn't feel like melting and possibly destroying a ~$2k part so I just tinted them. They turned out much better than I anticipated and even the wife who mostly scoffs at me toiling with the car thinks they look quote 'bad ***'. At only 8% tint there was no noticeable loss in light output but an incredible (literally.. i don't know how to credit it) difference in the darkening of the inner silver which I think turned out great. So, that's rears, sides, headlamps all at 8%. Fogs will be done this week before Supercar Saturday this coming weekend.

Very nice work!
Old 04-27-2015, 07:49 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a fan of tinted lenses, front or rear but that does look pretty bad ***.
The inner darkening is a result of an external 8% tint? Need details man!
Old 04-27-2015, 10:39 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motopix
I'm not a fan of tinted lenses, front or rear but that does look pretty bad ***.
The inner darkening is a result of an external 8% tint? Need details man!
Yes, I am not a fan of tinted lenses either. But the stark contrast of the rear reds and the bright silver under the fronts really take away from the car and make it seem more pedestrian. I just wanted to tone down the rears and did those at 8% as well. You can hardly tell and would need to know they were brighter to begin with.

The fronts are the same exact tint and came in a package that includes the fogs and side indicators too. It's a steal if you ask me:
Lamin-x P011T Headlight Cover
https://amzn.com/B004C1UX6Y

Here's a link to the rears:
Lamin-x P211T Tail Light Cover
http://amzn.com/B004D5J554

Honestly, there is no black magic going on here (maybe tint magic). I do not understand how it darkens the silver so much with just 8% tint, but it does, and it I think it looks great without giving it that blacked-out light look that I definitely did not want.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:06 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts

Honestly, there is no black magic going on here (maybe tint magic). I do not understand how it darkens the silver so much with just 8% tint, but it does, and it I think it looks great without giving it that blacked-out light look that I definitely did not want.
+1, IMHO tinted lights look cheap but this works, works well.
The headlight gets so dark because the film reduces the light from outside getting in, so you got less light reflecting off the chromed finish, in addition the film tints the light coming back out.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:10 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Today I received the Dynamic Suspension Control (DSC) unit from TPC Racing. After I installed the unit, I took a 20 minute test drive . As others have already stated, the DSC really changes the way the car handles. The cornering is dramatically improved and much more planted. It really increases my confidence in the car and how it handles.

While it is not cheap, just under $1,200, it is worth the spend if you are looking to improve the handling and cornering abilities of your car. I highly recommend the DSC. I have no affiliation with TPC Racing.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fronts are the same exact tint and came in a package that includes the fogs and side indicators too. It's a steal if you ask me:
Thanks for the links. For $60 I think the fronts are worth it. A better look and a bit of extra protection for the front lenses. I still have to do the Sylvania Lens restore on the headlights and turn signal markers first.

Originally Posted by gota911
While it is not cheap, just under $1,200, it is worth the spend if you are looking to improve the handling and cornering abilities of your car. I highly recommend the DSC. I have no affiliation with TPC Racing.
It's not cheap and even with another $200 for a 997.1 w/the extra accelerometer I'd do it again in a second. It is that good. If they add the custom programming and monitoring option through USB, all the better.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 751 Posts

I've been researching how to get the new 991.1 GTS smoked headlight look on the 997.2 GTS. Apart from breaking the headlamps....apart....there aren't any DIY options (though I saw there is a new product posted from DelReyCustoms). I didn't feel like melting and possibly destroying a ~$2k part so I just tinted them. They turned out much better than I anticipated and even the wife who mostly scoffs at me toiling with the car thinks they look quote 'bad ***'. At only 8% tint there was no noticeable loss in light output but an incredible (literally.. i don't know how to credit it) difference in the darkening of the inner silver which I think turned out great. So, that's rears, sides, headlamps all at 8%. Fogs will be done this week before Supercar Saturday this coming weekend.
looks great, nice one!
Old 04-28-2015, 01:58 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motopix
Thanks for the links. For $60 I think the fronts are worth it. A better look and a bit of extra protection for the front lenses. I still have to do the Sylvania Lens restore on the headlights and turn signal markers first.
Yes, definitely make sure your lenses are clean and clear. Also, I see you have a 997.1, yes? Use this kit instead since your fogs are different:
http://amzn.com/B004C1Y022
Unfortunately it doesn't include the side indicators, but you can buy the brake light kit and cut the strip in half. It covers both indicators and has left over to trim off for a comfortable, supportive fit.
$20 shipped from amazon:
http://amzn.com/B006347JBA
Old 04-28-2015, 01:41 PM
sebBo13
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, definitely make sure your lenses are clean and clear. Also, I see you have a 997.1, yes? Use this kit instead since your fogs are different:
http://amzn.com/B004C1Y022
Unfortunately it doesn't include the side indicators, but you can buy the brake light kit and cut the strip in half. It covers both indicators and has left over to trim off for a comfortable, supportive fit.
$20 shipped from amazon:
http://amzn.com/B006347JBA
On the Lamin-x site the options are:
Tint (lightest)
Gunsmoke (med)
Smoked (med-dark)
Charcoal (dark)
Red

Do you know which ones yours are? Amazon does not seem to list that info on their product descition page.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?