Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 11:53 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
Ah okay. I’ve never disassembled all the plastic surroundings in the frunk. I’m guessing that’s straightforward.
just screws and a single light bulb , its the easiest bit of DIY .. no worries there.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:57 AM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
just screws and a single light bulb , its the easiest bit of DIY .. no worries there.
Excellent. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2023, 12:12 PM
edz968s
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alternodor
Do you have a link for the connector you used?
Second that, can't source a pin to put into 6 anywhere.

Last edited by edz968s; 02-16-2023 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:20 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by diceman725
just reading this. Sounds like some folks in north Texas have suggested there are SD nav cards out there with no Texas maps. Is that correct? I’m installing a PCCM in a cayenne and haven’t been able to get maps to work. In that case, what did you do?

i bought my pccm and card from suncoast. But the pccm in an ‘08 957 is buggy (currently throws a check engine light). I know this isn’t a 957 page but there’s some relevant information in here we haven’t figured out yet. The pccm for the 955/7 is only about a month or two old. Suncoast suggested I get it installed by a Porsche dealer but Porsche Grapevine quoted me $1200 (almost as much as the pccm itself). We’re in Southlake. For folks local to the area - did you install yourselves or did you have dealer do it for you and if so, which one? At a minimum, when Porsche provides a fix for the check engine light problem, I’m going to have to take it to a dealer to get it applied. Thanks.

I am in Southlake and did it myself. Happy to help you. It really is a fun and pretty easy job
The following 2 users liked this post by fritzcurtis:
dlascoskie (02-16-2023), Summerjack (03-04-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 02:17 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

yellow is only used on tip tronic cars..
on manuals it goes to an empty socket in the Porsche DIN harnass
No, this isn’t true. The yellow switched camera power cable going an empty socket for all 997s (manual and tiptronic) as 997s never came with an oem rear cam.
The following users liked this post:
svandamme (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 02:42 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Does anyone in the Bay Area want to connect and knock this out together? I.e., help each other get through the install on each’s cars?
Old 02-16-2023, 03:19 PM
dlascoskie
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
Unfortunately not - we lose the lap timer functionality based on what I've seen, but can't say this is something I miss. Feature is a bit of a novelty IMO.
Not sure why you lost it. Mine works just as before.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:29 PM
997.1James
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE=csmab;18573893]Maxw….Looks nice. Did you notice any white noise as others have indicated with the volume at “0” or muted? Also, since you have a non-Bose system you really didn’t need the MOST Adapter box you put on the tray. These are needed for BOSE only systems to convert the fiber optic signal.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone who experienced the white noise issue with the volume set to zero found a solution yet? Thinking it might be something to do with the speaker wires..
Old 02-16-2023, 05:29 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

I just finished my install along with finally replacing the temp and fan buttons on the climate control module while I was at it (mine's a 2006 that came with the soft touch switch faces and radio buttons that disintegrate over time). I must say, this is the only car project I can remember where the reassembly was actually quicker than the disassembly--those darn plugs fit so tight I struggled a bit getting the old unit disconnected, couldn't seem to get the allen key on the driver side upper release on the original PCM (then stumbled upon a different video where the guy said to just push the release in with your finger, which worked) and it's way easier to put the side panels back on than to pop them off (proud of myself that I didn't break the upper clasps removing the side panels). Lastly, I thought I had book marked everything I needed to install the PCCM+ but had to hunt down Maxw's pictures of the wiring mapping of which plug went where. Those were great and clearer than the DIY guide. Maybe Svandamme can use those in the DIY guide, as I think those were the easiest ones to follow.

Don't know what Porsche may do on the maps issue--I'm in Texas and like everyone else in states alphabetically after NY, no maps. It's clear the unit is talking with GPS because it knows my car is parked due West. Not sure when or if ever Porsche with come up with a fix. I always planned to use Apple CarPlay for navigation anyway. The only benefit right now of having the Nav card is syncing the clock to GPS (the original PCM I had kept lousy time).

I installed the GPS antenna on the shelf, and my car is a 997S with Sports Chrono, no bose. Doesn't seem to have any issues getting a signal with the HVAC duct and wiring of the Sports Chrono above it while parked in my garage no less. The microphone is inside the steering column (like others have done). My daughter told me it works but it does sound like I'm away from the phone, FWIW.

Last edited by Paul S.; 02-16-2023 at 05:35 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Paul S.:
brudomen (02-17-2023), dlascoskie (02-16-2023), maxw (02-16-2023), myw (02-16-2023), Steven C. (02-17-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 05:46 PM
dlascoskie
Intermediate

Now that mine is installed, I'm pleased with the volume but suprised that it tops out at 30. It's decently loud but I would like another gear on the volume if possible. Any tips, tricks?
Old 02-16-2023, 06:03 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dlascoskie
Not sure why you lost it. Mine works just as before.
Sports Chrono clock still works fine - am saying the lap summary info found on the PCM is not on the PCCM+ You may have never known about it and if so you didn't miss much.

You could go to a track - hit the lap counter on each lap - then view the lap time results on your PCM - looked something like this (here are 4 very quick fake laps):

dlascoskie (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 06:08 PM
dlascoskie
Intermediate

ahhhh gotcha. That is sweet. I didn't know about that.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:19 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.1James
Has anyone who experienced the white noise issue with the volume set to zero found a solution yet? Thinking it might be something to do with the speaker wires..
Do you have the factory Bose or ASK amplifier if non-Bose? Or do you have an aftermarket amplifier or speakers? I still have some noise but it's pretty minor - can only hear it with the engine off and volume very low. I don't have a total stock setup though and have an aftermarket amplifier - so can't really isolate if issue is due to the PCCM+. That said, I really didn't have the noise until I swapped out from the PCM to the PCCM+ - it seems the PPCM+ amplified whatever noise was there prior. I tried using a cleaner ground for the PCCM+ but it didn't make a difference for me.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:50 PM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Somebody else will have to answer that one, I only did the manual..
Tip is easier from what I understand because PCCM alreayd knows the reverse is enabled. But not sure if that happens via the yellow cable or not.

if not, then probably yes you can power the camera off it.
Quick check , does the yellow cable on your PCCM harnass, lead to a cable on the Car's din connector? or is it also a dead end?
if its a dead end, than it can be used for power.

dead end on my manual
On a Tiptronic, the yellow pin 8 goes to an unused pin on the large connector. -same as the manuals.
The main difference with a Tip is there is no need to supply 12v to pin 6 to make the PCCM change screen when in reverse
You can use the yellow pin 8 to power the camera or tap from the reverse light.
myw (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 07:32 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dlascoskie
Now that mine is installed, I'm pleased with the volume but suprised that it tops out at 30. It's decently loud but I would like another gear on the volume if possible. Any tips, tricks?
Not sure if it makes it totally louder or just louder initially--if you go into the car menu, set, system, volume--then you'll see choices for bluetooth and tuner (maybe some others, not sure because I'm not in the car) that let you increase or decrease volume by up to 5. I think what it does is set the initial volume but try it out. I'm a little surprised you're disappointed in the volume levels, because when I first turned it on it was way too loud on tuner (e.g., FM radio). I've got mine set so bluetooth is +5, and I left tuner at zero.

If you haven't downloaded it, the PCCM+ operating manual is available online, I believe at Porsche's website.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request