Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 01:24 AM
Steve W
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
Great Steve, NOW you drop some killer photos of the install with this camera, measurements and all!

I took a close look at this one when you recommended and referenced here to order.

While I thought it looked like a great option, the reasons I passed on it:
  1. Ships from China - didn't have the patience (main reason) wanting to finish job.
  2. Off center - agree definitely a non-issue for the view of the camera, was more the imbalance of the view from the back - concerned me that it would stand out more.
  3. Gold circle around the camera - not sure why they added the bling.
  4. LED light - didn't want it to be out of sync with the rest of the lights on the car and prefer more original look.
  5. I wondered how well this would fit the space and match up with the other light on the opposite side.
Now after all these reasons why not - this was before seeing your photos. Now seeing it - looks pretty great option in particular for those not wanting to cut into the bumper. Definitely better than the ones that attached to the license plate holes at the top. Thanks for sharing the photos (eventually!). :-)
They ship the stuff by AliExpress Standard shipping, which is kind of USPS Priority, which actually is around 10 days, not too bad. They also have AliExpress Premium shipping option for $5 which is supposed to like 10 days faster, so I guess it's like Fedex. Just don't choose the slow boat shipping method that some vendors use, that can take weeks. A lot of this stuff you see on Amazon comes from vendors in China if you look at the seller, so it's almost the same thing.

The gold circle I guess they reserve for the higher end cameras. The ring is actually anodized aluminum and the lenses are all glass, so supposed to the better. One could black it out I suppose if it bothered you.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:31 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Msflynn03
As stated in my original posting, my 997TT is a manual, i.e. 6 speed. When simply placing the shift lever in reverse, the Pioneer android radio went to a rear camera view. I believe that the movement of the manual shifter into reverse resulted in a 12 volt input to the rear camera pin of the radio unit and that the same would happen to the new Porsche unit if the wiring was duplicated.

Congratulations. You managed to completely miss the point of my posting.
No worries bud, I guess the 997 TT is not like the 987 or 997 manual at that point (no surprise there, they don't follow regular 911 model years either).. You are speshul it seems.. congrats to you.
But your situation does not apply to 987/997 and at this point we are beating a dead horse : Manual 987/997 needs 12 volt, to pin 6, on the PCCM+.. No if else or but.

If you want to proove me wrong, find yourself a run of the mill 987/997 and a PCCM

IF you can show me how it can be done without the trigger to pin 6 on a manual , and I'll be happy to update the install guide I wrote with your information. (After verification).
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...diy-guide.html

Last edited by svandamme; 02-22-2023 at 05:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
myw (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 05:44 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 540 Likes on 320 Posts

ok this is amazing - parking lines without the steeringWheelAngleSensor info.

lmao i will have to swap out my rear camera.... again.

Originally Posted by Steve W
Not sure how great that works as it does not receive CANBUS steering input signals like a Tesla for example:
Old 02-22-2023, 08:15 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

I don't see how that is at all possible, if not via Canbus.. or some additional sensor installed
I'm cool without lines either way
Old 02-22-2023, 09:49 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by svandamme
I don't see how that is at all possible, if not via Canbus.. or some additional sensor installed
I'm cool without lines either way
i think it employs a basic algorithm to recognize the parking lines from the image and runs a program accordingly.

The parking line feature reminded me that’s another advantage re the auto vs the manual 997 canBus - the steeringAngleSensor info passes thru… I wonder if this too is related the transmission control module somehow. Not a huge deal but neat to know
Old 02-22-2023, 10:06 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Then I would expect it not to work in certain conditions, eg a fully empty place with nothing painted on the ground and nothing on the horizon?

I know, rare, but I can see glitches in the matrix over it.
myw (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 11:13 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by svandamme
Then I would expect it not to work in certain conditions, eg a fully empty place with nothing painted on the ground and nothing on the horizon?
good thinking, someone will put a review of that type of camera in due time I am sure. I'm amazed the tech is available. a camera with its own little cpu + program.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:59 PM
MDA1234
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the install over the weekend and have two questions: how do I adjust brightness of the PCCM+ backlighting, and how do I access the setting for speed-dependent volume?

The PCCM+ backlighting for buttons and such is noticeably brighter than the backlighting for everything else. I've adjusted brightness on everything else using the twist **** on the left side of the instrument cluster, but there's still a brightness gap. Does anyone know if the PCCM+ brightness is specifically adjustable?

As mentioned, I also need to adjust the speed-dependent volume setting but can't find it in the maze of menus. I swear I ran into it somewhere but now can't find it.

FWIW, in terms of installation, I ran into a few issues I'll note here for anyone who's interested. 1) The little plastic caps that you move with the allen key to hold down the metal retaining tabs for removal were pretty difficult to access and move for me, and one of them actually popped out entirely. I ended up only getting two to function properly and had to manually hold in the other two metal retaining tabs to get the unit out. 2) For some reason, it took me forever to realize there was a gray plastic protector on the female connector for the MOST unit. I went back and forth trying to figure out if I had wired things incorrectly, only to eventually discover that I just needed to remove the gray protective thing and pop the orange-ish fiber optic cable right into the MOST unit.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:48 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Button backlight is not configurable..
Screen is, day night mode
can be adjusted

Customising day/night mode Select the Custom menu option to adjust the display brightness for day and night mode. 1. Press the HOME Car Set System button. 2. Select the Day/night mode menu option. 3. Select option field Custom option. 32 Car 4. Select the Day mode menu option. Press and or turn the right-hand **** or use the touchscreen to set the display brightness for day mode. 5. Select the Night mode menu option. Press and or turn the right-hand **** or use the touchscreen to set the display brightness for night mode.

speed dependant sound level is covered in the PCCM manual

https://www.porsche.com/internationa.../pccm/manuals/

basic speakers

Bose has Audiopilot

Last edited by svandamme; 02-22-2023 at 01:51 PM.
myw (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 01:52 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MDA1234
Did the install over the weekend and have two questions: how do I adjust brightness of the PCCM+ backlighting, and how do I access the setting for speed-dependent volume?

The PCCM+ backlighting for buttons and such is noticeably brighter than the backlighting for everything else. I've adjusted brightness on everything else using the twist **** on the left side of the instrument cluster, but there's still a brightness gap. Does anyone know if the PCCM+ brightness is specifically adjustable?

As mentioned, I also need to adjust the speed-dependent volume setting but can't find it in the maze of menus. I swear I ran into it somewhere but now can't find it.

FWIW, in terms of installation, I ran into a few issues I'll note here for anyone who's interested. 1) The little plastic caps that you move with the allen key to hold down the metal retaining tabs for removal were pretty difficult to access and move for me, and one of them actually popped out entirely. I ended up only getting two to function properly and had to manually hold in the other two metal retaining tabs to get the unit out. 2) For some reason, it took me forever to realize there was a gray plastic protector on the female connector for the MOST unit. I went back and forth trying to figure out if I had wired things incorrectly, only to eventually discover that I just needed to remove the gray protective thing and pop the orange-ish fiber optic cable right into the MOST unit.
I had the same issue with the grey plastic protector. I felt so stupid once I discovered it.
Summerjack (03-04-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 04:35 PM
TLoc
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Can anybody help. Posted on the 997 turbo forum but a quick summary here. My media player still not working properly playing music from a memory stick in USB. Contacted the dealership and the car is going back again on Friday for further investigation. Since the garage people and I had difficulties trying to find a way to resolve the problem a week ago, and possible solutions were not available, it appears the issue is not a simple one. For this reason I also contacted Porsche UK who are now getting their technical people to see if the problem has occurred in other cars or if it is just a problem with my unit. Basically the memory stick works in my BMW but getting albums listed and playing in the Porsche is problematic.

One reader on the Porsche Club UK asked if it could read media on my phone via the USB cable. I don't play music over my mobile phone connected to USB. I have my preferred albums which I load on the stick. Put it down to my age. Never had problems playing them before. They worked perfectly with the Dension Gateway 500 link connected to the original PCCM provided I did not go above 32GB loading and the sticks work in the new BMW. I have tried different sticks and all worked on the Dension and BMW but none work properly on the new PCCM plus system.

It has been suggested that the software doesn't recognise the folder structure the music is stored in?

I think that this is a possibility. It will be interesting to see if other owners have experienced this issue with memory sticks. I have not seen it reported in any other sites but I think most people play music with their phones. However, since Porsche claim you can play music (MP3 files) on the new unit they must have tested this in development. If that is the case what am I doing incorrectly and why do the sticks work on other units? Of course it could just be a fault with my unit and Porsche have no experience of this issue.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:08 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TLoc
Can anybody help. Posted on the 997 turbo forum but a quick summary here. My media player still not working properly playing music from a memory stick in USB. Contacted the dealership and the car is going back again on Friday for further investigation. Since the garage people and I had difficulties trying to find a way to resolve the problem a week ago, and possible solutions were not available, it appears the issue is not a simple one. For this reason I also contacted Porsche UK who are now getting their technical people to see if the problem has occurred in other cars or if it is just a problem with my unit. Basically the memory stick works in my BMW but getting albums listed and playing in the Porsche is problematic.

One reader on the Porsche Club UK asked if it could read media on my phone via the USB cable. I don't play music over my mobile phone connected to USB. I have my preferred albums which I load on the stick. Put it down to my age. Never had problems playing them before. They worked perfectly with the Dension Gateway 500 link connected to the original PCCM provided I did not go above 32GB loading and the sticks work in the new BMW. I have tried different sticks and all worked on the Dension and BMW but none work properly on the new PCCM plus system.

It has been suggested that the software doesn't recognise the folder structure the music is stored in?

I think that this is a possibility. It will be interesting to see if other owners have experienced this issue with memory sticks. I have not seen it reported in any other sites but I think most people play music with their phones. However, since Porsche claim you can play music (MP3 files) on the new unit they must have tested this in development. If that is the case what am I doing incorrectly and why do the sticks work on other units? Of course it could just be a fault with my unit and Porsche have no experience of this issue.
Yes, USB memory sticks are finicky. I had the exact same problem you are describing on a U.S. version -- USB drive would play on my wife's Macan and on our Ford F150 truck, but not at *all* on the PCCM+. The screen button for "USB" didn't even light up, so the PCCM+ did not recognize our USB memory stick.

There are lots of bits and pieces in posts above where this problem was worked out (most of the way). I'll try to list from memory what I know, but check way up there for more specific posts as needed.

1. The PCCM+ does not seem to accept any USB memory sticks with exFAT formatting. They *must* be formatted using the FAT32 protocol. That was the main problem with my USB memory stick.

2. The PCCM+ doesn't seem to like any USB sticks over 64GB.

2. While the unit seems to play .wma files *most* of the time, I had better luck making sure all of the files were .mp3.

3. If you want to be sure every album or cut played is displayed with the cover art, you may have to use the free utility "mp3tag.exe" to attach the art to each track. It seems to be a bigger problem if you have ripped the music from CDs rather than directly downloading .mp3 files, but it can be done. It takes a while, but once you get into the flow of things, I thought it was worth it.

4. After getting a 64GB USB drive, converting the formatting, converting .wma files to .mp3, and attaching all the album art, and even re-ripping and starting from scratch, I still have about 5% of my music that will not load or will only load the first song on the album. I have not figured this one out, yet, but don't be too surprised if the PCCM+ flat out doesn't recognize the occasional album (always your favorites).

5. My USB drive is organized by Artist/Album/Track as I assume most peoples' would be. This does work the way you want, but it does *not* work the way you expect it to.

A. Insert the qualified USB drive
B. Press the HOME physical button to get the gray icon main menu screen
C. Press MEDIA on the gray icon main menu screen
D. You will get a screen with a choice of two virtual buttons: USB or BLUETOOTH. If your USB memory stick meets all the PCCM+'s fussy requirements (see above), the USB button will light up as shown in the photos below. Press it.
E. If you have been playing a track, it will pop up with its art (assuming the art has been attached to the track), the track file name, etc. Note the two virtual buttons at the bottom of the screen: PLAYER and BROWSE.
F. If you press BROWSE, the current album's tracks will be displayed on the screen for your selection (either touch, or turn the RH **** and press it when you get to the one you want).
G. However, if you want to see what albums are available for a given artist, press the physical BACK button directly above your USB memory stick. If there are more than one for that artist, they will all be listed. Otherwise, you will only see the one.
H. If you want to see the list of artists (i.e., the base Artist directories), press BACK again. Again, you can scroll down and select directly off the screen with your finger, or you can scroll and select with the RH ****.
I. If you press BACK yet again, you will be dumped back into the PLAYER screen and you have to start all over.

So, you see it can be done, but it's literally backwards from what you would expect. BTW, my dealer opened up a ticket with Porsche Classic in Germany regarding the map SD drive problem, then added the issues I had been having with the USB drive.

From this Main Menu, press the MEDIA virtual button.

From this screen, the USB virtual button should be lit up. Press it to get the main PLAYER screen.

This is the main PLAYER screen. Press the virtual BROWSE button and the physical BACK button to get to the Artist/Album listing.

This is the Artist/Album listing selection screen (I only had one album with George Harrison). If presented with a longer list, you can select this or a different album, which will get you the Album/Track screen. If you press the physical BACK button, you will go up in file/directory hierarchy to the Artist selection screen.

This is the album track screen. You can select a track or hit BACK to go back to the Artist/Album listing.

This is the Artist selection screen. You can either select an artist and view all the associated albums (what I call the Artist/Album screen), or you can hit BACK again and get dumped back in the PLAYER screen with the current Artist/Album/Track.

Last edited by JustinCase; 02-23-2023 at 09:32 AM.
Nova997 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 11:43 PM
OmairK
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Does anyone know what the status of the 997.2/987.2 PCCM+ release dates are?
Old 02-23-2023, 01:38 AM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Anyone have a lead on the maps sd card yet? Gaudin is still back ordered. Other places are marking up the price.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:05 AM
Hecklerstan
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if anyone is interested. I always want to keep the car as original as possible. When I saw the microphone coming with PCCM and saw the instruction to attach it on the steering column, I want to install the microphone to the original microphone location. I referred to the old microphone assembly design and coming out the enclosure which I can fit the new microphone perfectly inside the steering column cover. Also, I had sourced a omnidirectional microphone which is electrically identical with the PCCM microphone. I will try to fit both to see which one can deliver better reception quality.

The following 7 users liked this post by Hecklerstan:
Bavarian 997 (02-23-2023), fritzcurtis (02-23-2023), laserjok (04-16-2023), maxw (02-23-2023), myw (02-23-2023), Spastblast (02-23-2023), Zephyr92 (05-28-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request