Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 03:55 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tmaxx445
Can anyone confirm the missing navigation SD map data has been fixed?
Yes, it's fixed with the caveat that if you read through this thread, some still get a defective SD card and have to return it.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:39 AM
ijustreally
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed the pccm+ today and it doesn't seem like the unit powers down automatically when I turn off the car. Checked all connections and they seem fine. Radio/carplay and everything else work as intended. Any ideas?
Old 07-17-2023, 04:26 AM
arva
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ijustreally
Installed the pccm+ today and it doesn't seem like the unit powers down automatically when I turn off the car. Checked all connections and they seem fine. Radio/carplay and everything else work as intended. Any ideas?
Does not power off even when you take the key out?
Old 07-17-2023, 05:33 AM
Declan99
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is all plug and play within the confines of where the existing PCM is then it should be very easy. The En-Fig guys have a good video on wiring a mic to the factory location. Depending on how bulky the new mic is, I bet it could be fitted in the same location. Might require a little modification to get it to mount or stay put, but I don’t foresee that being a huge issue.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Jako
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bypass Most 25 for audio

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
@ryanla997 , I'll second this. Did they provide an explanation as to how they got it to work and us mere mortals could not? I'm assuming they spliced into the reverse trigger wire coming somewhere around the shifter in the main wire bundle? I thought my test could duplicate powering the camera up as if it were spliced into the reverse lights, but perhaps I didn't conduct the test with an extra 12v battery properly.

If it's not too much trouble, if you could call and ask them for an explanation and share it here, it would be greatly appreciated! I was about to return the backup camera I purchased a couple of weeks ago but may hang onto it a bit longer in case I can learn about the solution and still install it.

Interesting. How were you able to look at those additional states and determine half were missing? I haven't played around with the Nav feature yet, but I did pull up the Maps feature to confirm that my GPS antenna placement worked and Colorado (where I'm located) is there. Assuming it's alphabetical by state, that would make sense why Texas and South Dakota (after New York) are not on the SD card, but Colorado is. Did you just try to enter directions to different states or is there a list of states to select from?

Also, where did you find the GPS antenna signal information? I tried looking for it under the Car menu, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough or it's in another menu?

Regarding the sound quality, I tend to agree. I was primarily using the TranzitBlu bluetooth transceiver with my old PCM, which taps into the FM input and was decent at best. So my overall clarity has improved quite a bit with the new PCCM+, but only having bass and treble to adjust on the Bose units was a huge miss. Considering the fact that the non-Bose cars have a 6-band EQ (I saw it myself until my PCCM+ recognized Bose and configured itself accordingly), it tells me it could be a Bose compatibility issue. That has always been my complaint about Bose: They think they've figured everything out themselves and do not give their customers much flexibility. There is way too much bass for the type of music I listen to, and not enough mid-range. There is a reason why I don't own any Bose home audio equipment. With all that said, I'm still happy with the PCCM+ and the improved clarity of being able to connect directly to the PCCM+ via bluetooth.

Side note: this thread and everyone contributing has been awesome. Even though I installed my PCCM+ a couple weeks ago, I'm still learning things and may need to revisit a couple of things (i.e. backup camera, GPS antenna location, etc.) based on everyone else's experience and recent contributions. Thank you!
I have explored many options to clean up the sound and and add more volume. A local installer has recommended to put in a DSP Amp and use the speaker output #9 harness. The new amp would go in place the BOSE AMP and location. He would feed a connector from the PCCM HU #9 to the to the new amp and make a harness from the amp to the OEM speaker harness which was connected to the Bose AMP. His suspicion is audio is being feed through the fiber ring as well the #9 speaker output simultaneously. So once he uses a fiber loop in place of the Bose amp, all the remaining features of the connected to the fiber loop should stay in tact and clean audio signal will be supplied by the speaker output. Has anyone with BOSE tried this and can confirm?
Old 07-17-2023, 05:54 PM
CPS992
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 152 Posts

Was all excited to install this and then I traded in my 997 Targa for a Taycan - so now the box sits in my office as a paperweight lol
Old 07-17-2023, 07:03 PM
Jako
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Declan99
If this is all plug and play within the confines of where the existing PCM is then it should be very easy. The En-Fig guys have a good video on wiring a mic to the factory location. Depending on how bulky the new mic is, I bet it could be fitted in the same location. Might require a little modification to get it to mount or stay put, but I don’t foresee that being a huge issue.
There are two mic grills left/right. The left has the OEM mic installed so I wired it on the right side mic position. All you need to do is to remove the PCCM mic top cover and install rightside up in the mic spot. I used electric tape to secure it and ensured I routed the wire to not get pinched.

Last edited by Jako; 07-17-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:22 PM
rharrell2319
5th Gear

What adapter are you using with your back-up camera?
Old 07-18-2023, 02:47 PM
thejawn
Rennlist Member

Anyone who's installed a PCCM+ decide to replace their speakers (and amp) in a car with Bose? I have searched around but all the threads I'm finding include an aftermarket head unit.

Old 07-19-2023, 04:35 PM
Hamhands
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 89 Posts

Wanna sell it?
Old 07-22-2023, 09:49 PM
nbdrinkwater
1st Gear

New user with a quick question. Is it necessary to disconnect the car battery when installing the PCCM Plus in a 997 with Bose and Navigation? Thanks very much in advance!
Old 07-22-2023, 11:26 PM
LucV
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by nbdrinkwater
New user with a quick question. Is it necessary to disconnect the car battery when installing the PCCM Plus in a 997 with Bose and Navigation? Thanks very much in advance!
I did not unplug the battery and installation went fine.

Last edited by LucV; 07-22-2023 at 11:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nbdrinkwater (07-23-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 11:35 PM
LucV
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes the PCCM won't turn on when I start the car. I'd say less than 1 of 10 times. If I hold the power button or press it after a minute it'll eventually turn on.

Seems to occur when I stop the car briefly like when getting gas and start it back up.

PCCM works great other than that.

Has anyone experienced this as well?
Old 07-31-2023, 11:27 PM
ohturtle
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Jako
There are two mic grills left/right. The left has the OEM mic installed so I wired it on the right side mic position. All you need to do is to remove the PCCM mic top cover and install rightside up in the mic spot. I used electric tape to secure it and ensured I routed the wire to not get pinched.
Just moved mic to the right side, works great now. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2023, 08:39 PM
Houndstooth
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally got around to installing my PCCM+ and everything went smoothly (except I realized after I got the PCCM+ plugged in that I forgot to remove a CD from my original PCM and had to backtrack in order to get it out ). I also have the issue with the nav card where it doesn't recognize any state alphabetically after NY so I can't get any maps in my home state of PA. I'll call Suncoast about this tomorrow and hopefully I can exchange my card for a working one.

I decided to wait on installing the external microphone as I want to see if I can somehow remove the microphone from its casing and transplant it into the casing from an OEM mic so that I can clip it into the right-hand slot under the steering column cover. I bought a used OEM mic off eBay for $29 so I can fiddle around with that. I also decided to order a new pair of climate control switches from MACarbon so I can replace my sticky and chipped temp and fan speed switches.

I do have a couple questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to answer:

1. Since I'll have to wait a week or two for my mic and the MACarbon switches to arrive, is there any reason I can't just leave the leather and carpet trim pieces I removed to install the PCCM+ off in the meantime? I don't want to have to re-install and re-remove them because I don't want to put the plastic clips through any unnecessary stress. I want to keep my cabin as tight and rattle-free as possible. But will this possibly cause any damage, assuming I don't leave the sunroof open in the rain? I'll probably drive the car 5-6 times in the next two weeks.

2. Some people have mentioned just using the internal microphone in the PCCM+ rather than installing the external mic. But I can't figure out how to do that. I called my wife to test out the phone functionality (my phone was plugged in via USB), but she couldn't hear me unless I was using the speakerphone on my actual phone. So I don't think the internal mic was picking up my voice. Is there a menu that allows me to specify which microphone I want to use? Or maybe the internal mic is only available for bluetooth rather than for CarPlay?

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request