Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 10:16 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts
Default REAR CABLE FISHING INSTRUCTIONS

For carreras only, i think turbo cars with side vents/plumbling may need a minor workaround - pls youtube to be sure.

the interior rear panel needs to be removed - one panel i believe in which you can easily pull out FROM THE BOTTOM of the panel (the clips are at the top). There isnt alot of room in the back seat so it is a huge pain.
  • Behind the taillight there is a grommet (containing wires) you have to pull out - from there there is a much larger grommet that is unreachable (needs LONG DRILL BIT) that needs to be drilled thru so that the reverse camera cable can be fished into the cabin (many youtube videos and previous RL threads to explain this). The HUGE TRICK TO THIS STEP IS TO USE A SMALL SCREWDRIVER / HOLE CUTTING TOOL FROM INSIDE THE CABIN - the large thick grommet has a small hole that pretty much is punctured thru 70-80% of the 1 inch thick grommet ALREADY. You wont be able to see this grommet or the hole without removing more of the interior.... but from inside the car you can definably feel it with your hands.
  • Using a small screwdriver + hole cutting BIT, puncture thru this hole and do what is needed get the hole large enough to fit/fish the reverse cam cables. You can easily have a friend looking from the rear of the car (with flashlight) to see where in the exact correct exterior part of the grommet hole is being made (while you are puncturing from the inside) and you can drill from the tail light side exterior side if you wish (but the hole can 100% be made from the inside of the car). My brother was able to do this for both our 997s from the inside.
  • Puncturing the hole from the inside of the car is pretty safe since the hole guide is already there. if using a drill bit from the taillight side BE BAREFUL DO NOT DRILL THRU THIS LARGE GROMMET BLINDLY AS THERE IS A HUGE WIRE CONNECTOR THERE CONTAINING MANY REAR ELECTRONIC COMPONENT WIRES. Have a friend guide you from looking into the engine bay if needed so that your drill bit is drilling thru the ONE PROPER SPOT in the large grommet.imo this is the hardest step + is the secret to the entire project in order to get access to car cabin.
  • Fish the cables thru using fish tape/zip ties. use a bit of vasaline/wd40 to help the cable get thru the newly punctured holes (standard stuff)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:17 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

question, where do you disable this?

Originally Posted by scadams
My only real complaint is ZLINK for Apple Carplay occasionally starts automatically even though I have it disabled. And in order to update it I’d have to root the rom which I’d rather not mess with.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:52 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Default FAKRA ANTENNA DUAL ANTENNA - AM/FM RADIO RECEPTION SOLVED

i dont know how i noticed this, but i looked over the original documentation when I purchased the PX6 and couldnt help but notice they had a dual fakra Antenna adapter in the large product diagram, but when it came to the shipped parts - there is a pic of a single Antenna adapter only.

I believe many of us were shipped the wrong adapter (I certainly was) - hence our radio reception wont work the same as we only use one antenna + not both.

One of these should fix the issue easily. Not huge deal but for those who want AM back, plus proper FM (for news stations etc) - it's an easy 10$ fix.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19227880619...8AAOSw7H1Zk6ur

DUAL FAKRA ANTENNA ADAPTER (part of the website)

SINGLE FAKRA ANTENNA ADAPTER (on a diff part of the website)

Last edited by myw; 07-26-2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:36 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by myw;[url=tel:17572288
17572288[/url]]question, where do you disable this?
Settings —> Apps & Notifications —> See All Apps —> Scroll to ZLINK and you can set it there.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:50 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw;[url=tel:17572350
17572350]i dont know how i noticed this, but i looked over the original documentation when I purchased the PX6 and couldnt help but notice they had a dual fakra Antenna adapter in the large product diagram, but when it came to the shipped parts - there is a pic of a single Antenna adapter only.

I believe many of us were shipped the wrong adapter (I certainly was) - hence our radio reception wont work the same as we only use one antenna + not both.

One of these should fix the issue easily. Not huge deal but for those who want AM back, plus proper FM (for news stations etc) - it's an easy 10$ fix.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19227880619...8AAOSw7H1Zk6ur

DUAL FAKRA ANTENNA ADAPTER (part of the website)

SINGLE FAKRA ANTENNA ADAPTER (on a diff part of the website)
Stupid question but where is the second fakra plug for the car? I’ve got the one plugged into the antenna under the cowl in the frunk. TBF, I haven’t looked yet. Just don’t wanna go blindly fishing for it if you can tell me.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:02 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

for the .1 pcm north american cars there is black antenna + a yellow (curry antenna) - they are both windshield antennas from what i know.

im not sure tbh if the .2's use this diversity antenna system. if your am reception still works good on your px6 then chances are it is a single antenna system only.

the european pcm cars have a third fakra plug (blue) - for gps, in the north american cars the blue fakra gps plug is in the trunk somewhere as its attached to the cd changer/most system or something along those lines. i may look into getting a fakra to screwType adapter to use the oem gps puck in the px6. i find the gps strencth to be very very spotty in the p6

Originally Posted by scadams
Stupid question but where is the second fakra plug for the car? I’ve got the one plugged into the antenna under the cowl in the frunk. TBF, I haven’t looked yet. Just don’t wanna go blindly fishing for it if you can tell me.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:39 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

For reference, here’s the back of the PCM3 unit on the .2.

Black fakra is for console multimedia interface. Yellow fakra is for radio antenna.

Last edited by scadams; 07-27-2021 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:51 AM
Scottland
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there's a more up-to-date version of the ROM/Firmware, prefereably with an updated version of zlink?

I'm currently on zlink 3.57, MCU 3.57, build number QQ1A-200305.00

I've seen some updated versions knocking around on XDA-Developers, but not sure if any are suitalbe for the PX6 version of these headunits?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:11 AM
Nosubstitute531
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottland
Does anyone know if there's a more up-to-date version of the ROM/Firmware, prefereably with an updated version of zlink?

I've seen some updated versions knocking around on XDA-Developers, but not sure if any are suitalbe for the PX6 version of these headunits?
I would be interested in this as well. I love the android unit and its features but the rom it comes with does make it buggy / slow sometimes.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:44 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

is this android 9 or 10?

Originally Posted by Scottland

Old 08-03-2021, 03:55 PM
Scottland
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think it’s android 10 actually but will check next time I’m in it.

I’ve just got a similar unit for a bmw and it’s for zlink 4.07 which seems to have a few more settings like being able to pick LHD/RHD which swaps the navigation bar over. Also thinking ahead I’m wondering if iOS 15 might introduce issues with the current version I have.

im quite experienced with Android and rooting/custom ROMs etc, but just not sure if any have been tested to be working on these units.

Edit: Yep android 10 currently. This seems like it should be compatible - https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/r...9-8-6.4314163/

Last edited by Scottland; 08-03-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:48 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Nevermind...found the answer

Last edited by 911-997; 09-19-2021 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:12 PM
carbonduc27
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I need some help with my install. Thank you in advance.

I originally added the joying car play/android module to my PCM 3.0. Worked ok but the graphics arent great and the touchscreen was..... meh.

I now went with the full replacement android unit (
Amazon Amazon
) I have had these before and use an android phone so it is second nature for me to navigate. Drove home with it yesterday and was very pleased.

- I had one issue with sound being too loud or too quiet depending on app or radio etc. Easy fix in the Car - Factory settings menu. I also realized you can change how loud or quiet the MAX and MIN volumes are by adjusting the fade front and back. Because the MOST adapter only picks up the front speaker signals I can 'quiet' the volume level by fading to the back. Hope that helps some people who had issues with sound levels.

- I also realized that if I go into the NAV menu on the tach display it will just show blank and you are stuck there until you turn off the car and back on. not a huge problem but it happens. I much prefer having google maps on the stereo than the old PCM nav.

- My issue is that the stereo was not turning all the way off when I shut the car off. It goes into sleep mode and pops right back when I start the car. I would prefer it turn all the way off so I do not have a dead battery. Now, I thought that would be fixed in the factory settings menu. I found an option in the 'other' sub menu that talked about "power". options were on, off and auto. I stupidly changed it to off and now when I start the car the android stereo does not come on. ugh.

SO I guess I need to do a factory reset and start again. But how do I reset when it has no buttons? and no screen? And then what do i change to make it turn all the way off when the car is off?

thanks
Old 10-15-2021, 04:17 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

have u tried unplugging it for a few days? i do believe in my other car with a similar type of product.. if the car isnt started in a few days... instead of the unit continuing where it left off (sleep mode) - it boots up from scratch.

Originally Posted by carbonduc27
I need some help with my install. Thank you in advance.

I originally added the joying car play/android module to my PCM 3.0. Worked ok but the graphics arent great and the touchscreen was..... meh.

I now went with the full replacement android unit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Q694Y1) I have had these before and use an android phone so it is second nature for me to navigate. Drove home with it yesterday and was very pleased.

- I had one issue with sound being too loud or too quiet depending on app or radio etc. Easy fix in the Car - Factory settings menu. I also realized you can change how loud or quiet the MAX and MIN volumes are by adjusting the fade front and back. Because the MOST adapter only picks up the front speaker signals I can 'quiet' the volume level by fading to the back. Hope that helps some people who had issues with sound levels.

- I also realized that if I go into the NAV menu on the tach display it will just show blank and you are stuck there until you turn off the car and back on. not a huge problem but it happens. I much prefer having google maps on the stereo than the old PCM nav.

- My issue is that the stereo was not turning all the way off when I shut the car off. It goes into sleep mode and pops right back when I start the car. I would prefer it turn all the way off so I do not have a dead battery. Now, I thought that would be fixed in the factory settings menu. I found an option in the 'other' sub menu that talked about "power". options were on, off and auto. I stupidly changed it to off and now when I start the car the android stereo does not come on. ugh.

SO I guess I need to do a factory reset and start again. But how do I reset when it has no buttons? and no screen? And then what do i change to make it turn all the way off when the car is off?

thanks
Old 01-31-2022, 10:40 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!