Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2023 | 06:18 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl2
what about those of us who have Bose but didn’t have pcm. We have nothing to bypass, unless it’s located elsewhere. It’s not on the tunnel that’s for sure.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18600892
Step 4
That box is not present on cars with CDR24
it IS present on ASK and BOSE cars

if you have CDR , skip that step
Old 02-11-2023 | 08:18 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
If it’s possible to get a 6pin android video harness - that can be modified + plugged In as well. No need to for the fakra adapter as the rca reverse camVideoinput + camVideoGND is aleasy pin9+pin10 and the reverse trigger splice is already set as pin6. Pin 8 (normally camGND) will get spliced into the camPWR.

There are 2 cables to remove or snip on the generic android harness to ensure nothing gets fried - I have shipped one of these harnesses to maxW with exact instructions.

in the meantime - installing the oem harness and feeding a 12v+ to pin6 thru the harness hole should be safe and easy. Once someone does this the reverse cam for manual cars is officially solved.

Based on the 955 chart + standard android specs …. it has to work. I believe this is the approach ryan997s shop used as well.
No luck imma fraid

spliced in the unused yellow trigger wire to the PCM on the combined RCA/trigger wire included in the camera kit
hooked up the 12v to the camera via ciggie lighter
then hooked the trigger to the car + via ciggie lighter

Odly enough auto config, briefly showed Camera detected
but then it failed to show any image, nothing happened.

ran auto config a second time.. now it no longer found it.

suspected maybe the trigger wire in the RCA cable was bad.. so connected a test wire straight to the yellow wire
right to the 12 out of the ciggie lighter
still no go, no camera detected..

Have errands to run, and need to let it rest, i'm very impatient in such things.. If i try to long I'll get to frustrated and reach for my brute force fix tool, which is a hammer. And that won't help either
Old 02-11-2023 | 08:19 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

it just dawned on me.
could the trigger be an open connection to ground
eg instead of applying 12v, it needs ground?

or perhaps it only works when you power the camera off the pccm.. I'll have to test that seperately, but need to make a connector first

Last edited by svandamme; 02-11-2023 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2023 | 09:14 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by svandamme
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18600892
Step 4
That box is not present on cars with CDR24
it IS present on ASK and BOSE cars

if you have CDR , skip that step
That is kind of what I figured, and what I did…which still doesn’t explain the lack of solid FM reception. Admittedly, I havent tried it outside of my shop so perhaps when the weather improves and I can pull it out that will be a better indicator.
Old 02-11-2023 | 09:16 AM
edz968s
Instructor

No luck imma fraid

spliced in the unused yellow trigger wire to the PCM on the combined RCA/trigger wire included in the camera kit

suspected maybe the trigger wire in the RCA cable was bad.. so connected a test wire straight to the yellow wire

Have errands to run, and need to let it rest, i'm very impatient in such things.. If i try to long I'll get to frustrated and reach for my brute force fix tool, which is a hammer. And that won't help either
That's the same method and scenario I'm getting. #1183
Also USB port doesn't highlight on media screen, or Android Auto the same.

Last edited by edz968s; 02-12-2023 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2023 | 10:18 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

I got more cables and stuff coming in for the USB and other stuff
once it all comes in i'll pull it out properly for a bit more testing
Old 02-11-2023 | 10:37 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

all needed is a confirmed 12v+ to pin6. Which will flip it to reverse camera mode (don’t need camera plugged in or powered)

was this done ?

No luck imma fraid

Old 02-11-2023 | 10:44 AM
maxw
Instructor

No luck imma fraid

Not sure if you're following exactly as myw stated, but as I follow he's saying he believes pin 6 is the trigger input (this is not the yellow wire on the factory harness) and when pin 6 is triggered (via reverse light blue/black wire) - power is then enabled on pin 8 which is where the camera should be powered.
The following users liked this post:
myw (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023 | 12:44 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

ah, i thought yellow was factory trigger for tiptronic that went to 6
did not pull pccm out all the way this time, will do so when i get the rest of my stuff for the rear usb, on monday and pull it out properly, get all pins checked properly and do it all in 1 go

Last edited by svandamme; 02-11-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2023 | 11:49 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

as for screen, i'm fine with it, doesn't need to be that flashy, pcm2.1 was even less flashy

I don't like to much distraction , I even like it that they did not make the screen much bigger at the expense of the *****.
bigger would not look right in the 9X7 dash.console since it was never designed for such screens, it would upset the overall design (and distract even more)
this one id have to respectfully disagree with - the 8" screen looks perfect in the spot. i am revising the design for the next iteration of my android pcm where i will use 20mm ***** while keeping the (max possible) 8" screen as is - there is more then enough room, and i had it designed that way to begin with. TBH, even 8" is pretty small for todays standards + 7" screens were available as oem since 2007.

Don't forget with the 2021+ AHD front + reverse cameras, the image looks like modern oem backup cams with the 720p HD screen. not a major deal but having used both - it looks alot more pleasing.

Old 02-12-2023 | 02:27 AM
lip-
Rennlist Member

I could go to the same shop that figured it out and get the rear camera installed. I can watch how they do it and report back. I even bought the same camera from rydeenn and I’m in LA. I’m just not keen on paying money since I’m used to DIYing this kind of mod.
The following 2 users liked this post by lip-:
brudomen (02-12-2023), myw (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023 | 02:32 AM
lip-
Rennlist Member

No luck imma fraid

you should try hooking up the rear camera rca to a monitor or TV just to make sure the camera is outputting
Old 02-12-2023 | 10:42 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lip-
you should try hooking up the rear camera rca to a monitor or TV just to make sure the camera is outputting
already did that before trying it on the car, the camera is fine
just need the trigger
The following users liked this post:
myw (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023 | 11:27 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lip-
no need (at least not yet) - the main thing for the manual cars is to confirm the ability to flip the pccm+ into reverse camera input mode via the acceptable / acknowledgement of the 12v+ input in the reverse trigger pin. even if the screen turns black with the 'no video input detected' display then we are completely good.

based on the rest of the thread the fakra video input will work fine provided the harness isnt broken.
Old 02-12-2023 | 11:29 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Suspect they may have been lazy and just flagged em all as NC, but really they have some leftover functionality from the base android unit that they didn't feel like documenting.
like extra usb ports

the USB data wire is about 3.3v

maybe switching 12V to the Pin7 would unlock some stuff on carplay or android auto??
pin7 currently outputs 3.3v (confirmed) - based on the chart its a PARKING (gear) indicator. i suspect its useless for manual cars and will never change (unless the reverse trigger is activated) as there is no transControlUnit to indicate the car is in any gear.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request