Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 11:37 PM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve W
maxw, haha! Being that the mic cable plugs into port 1-4, just as per the connection chart, and the Fakra video cable pins into the 5-10 port with the center signal pin of the video cable verified to ohm to pin 10 just as the chart, and the pin out chart shows N/C for all pins 23-32, of which the PCCM kit provides no harness for, and that all the grounds ohm out together just as the chart, there is no other possible configuration for the pin numbers.

I suspect pin 7 labeled as parking is for a 12v input to trigger to the unit when the car is parked, so that if one wanted to input video from something like a DVD or TV tuner instead of a reverse camera, it would only allow such video to play when the car is parked.

Below is the camera I sourced that goes in place of the reverse light socket, and is as low profile as possible for such a location. I think it's profile not much different than if you drilled the bumper to mount a dedicated mount camera - I don't want a rear camera that bad to drill a hole in a $3000 bumper cover. The camera has a 170 degree fisheye glass lens, with Starlight night visibility, with optional guidelines, and can be set to output as either AHD or CVBS video output. AHD is short for analog high definition, which would be a 1080/720p video output, and CVBS (composite video SD video), is lower resolution 480p. Being that the screen is 480p, it is possible that the unit does not accept an AHD video signal, and only will take a CVBS signal and downconvert it to 480p. Newer Android units usually have an option in the menu to select either an AHD or CVBS video signal, something I think this unit does not show as an option setting. However hopefully the better optics of the lens and image sensors provide a clearer 480p CVBS picture than a standard SD cam.

AHD 1080P 1000TVL Vehicle Plate Reverse Backup Camera For VW Volkswagen Santana Polo(3C) Tiguan Touareg Passat B4 B5 Skoda Fabia
This looks a neat option, does it fit the 997 rear license plate light spot as is? including screw positioning, fill the space tightly etc
Old 02-15-2023, 12:10 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 581 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera01
This looks a neat option, does it fit the 997 rear license plate light spot as is? including screw positioning, fill the space tightly etc
The plate bulb cameras are designed specifically to be a Perfect fit for the plate bulbs themselves.

imo Steve’s cam is a great (recently available) solution
Old 02-15-2023, 01:06 AM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Staged PCCM Plus earlier tonight.

I have just placed the red cable inside pin6 for the picture.

My plan is to take one of the Amazon-ordered, red cables, unpin them from their shipped connector and re-pin them into the 6-pin pccm connector.

Then I can mechanically splice the camera’s reverse trigger with that red cable.

Think this is the cleanest solution.

Although I’ve read previous posts and ordered a “6-pin android video connector” from Amazon, the connector was much bigger than the pccm 6-pin one.
So I gave up on the plan to use a new 6-pin connector and brute-forcing with the rca-to-fakra connector and pinning the red cable into the connector.

Please note that you cannot solder the cable into the connector as I naively thought. You can solder a cable into a pin connector and then pin it into the connector.
Others with more experience please feel free to add to this.
Hopefully we can come up with a very easy process for this.

The following users liked this post:
myw (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 03:52 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts

yeah thats sort of what I did, i jsut ordered 10 pin reversing camera harnass, and took the pins/wires out of that one and plugged em in the oem 6 pin connector where I needed one
Old 02-15-2023, 03:56 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nikandriko
@svandamme I have looked at it but have failed to identify which are the pins for power to the unit.
​​​​​​Is it 22?​ I am not quite sure. Obviously I asked in case someone has tried it and knows the answer.
apologies, i was on my phone and could not check at the time
I assumed the Big DIN connectors were also described, clearly not the case.

So not sure but most likely the connector is a standard DIN, but no way to know really till you measure in the car

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...pinout.svg.png

Old 02-15-2023, 03:59 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera01
Originally Posted by myw
The plate bulb cameras are designed specifically to be a Perfect fit for the plate bulbs themselves.

I decided not to go with this, because I think for parking you really want it centered.. to avoid mistakes in perspective while parking.
Its a fish eye lens, so worried that even 2 inches off might get you a higly distorted perspective
Also worried that my license plate would not be lighted properly which might get me a fail at the anual tech inspection.

Waiting arrival today for this

Which is a simple install, 1 small hole, in the ledge above the license plate
centered
good clean look

Last edited by svandamme; 02-15-2023 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:46 AM
signde
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
I decided not to go with this, because I think for parking you really want it centered.. to avoid mistakes in perspective while parking.
Its a fish eye lens, so worried that even 2 inches off might get you a higly distorted perspective
in my experience this is not a concern. many new cars come with reverse cameras that are not centered. neither of my late model audis nor our civic have the backup camera centered. many OEMs put the camera beside a truck latch handle these days. the latch handle will be centered so the camera cannot be. i also used a license plate light camera in my R32 which is the most extreme off center and you cannot tell by looking at the reverse view. the fact that it is wide angle lens is exactly the reason why it is not noticeable.

i say all that and still recommend a bumper drilled install above the license plate. not because of concerns with centering but because it provides the most stealth install.
The following 3 users liked this post by signde:
dlascoskie (02-15-2023), myw (02-15-2023), svandamme (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 10:21 AM
Alternodor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a link for the connector you used?
Old 02-15-2023, 10:48 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by signde
in my experience this is not a concern. many new cars come with reverse cameras that are not centered. neither of my late model audis nor our civic have the backup camera centered. many OEMs put the camera beside a truck latch handle these days. the latch handle will be centered so the camera cannot be. i also used a license plate light camera in my R32 which is the most extreme off center and you cannot tell by looking at the reverse view. the fact that it is wide angle lens is exactly the reason why it is not noticeable.

i say all that and still recommend a bumper drilled install above the license plate. not because of concerns with centering but because it provides the most stealth install.

yeah could be, but indeed, its a cleaner install as well
Old 02-15-2023, 11:19 AM
dlascoskie
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
The smallest (from what I recall) reverse cam I could find. I have run the prev 480p and now AHD version of this camera.

Very discrete and is drilled into the center of the bumper using a 20mm included cutting tool. It’s hard to see.
Any chance you have a link to the website to purchase this camera?
Old 02-15-2023, 12:26 PM
brudomen
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you need to remove the bumper to get the wires into the car with the plate light option?
Can’t see how to get wires into car without removing the rear bumper
thanks
Bennett

Originally Posted by myw

imo Steve’s cam is a great (recently available) solution
Old 02-15-2023, 02:31 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Can confirm
Trigger on 6
Cam 12+ on 8
Camera switches on when 6 is triggered

Bumper removal time over the weekend to get the cam installed for real.
had a look, no other way to do it, bumper has to come off because you cannot access the back of it, heat insulation is in the way, at least it is on 987, but suspect 997 will be not that much different.

Last edited by svandamme; 02-15-2023 at 02:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by svandamme:
911Dreamer911 (06-04-2024), maxw (02-15-2023), myw (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 03:24 PM
Bjatry
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens with cars that have SportChrono? Work as before?
Old 02-15-2023, 04:24 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bjatry
What happens with cars that have SportChrono? Work as before?
Unfortunately not - we lose the lap timer functionality based on what I've seen, but can't say this is something I miss. Feature is a bit of a novelty IMO.
Spastblast (02-16-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 04:35 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 581 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by brudomen
Do you need to remove the bumper to get the wires into the car with the plate light option?
Can’t see how to get wires into car without removing the rear bumper
thanks
Bennett
No you don’t - but do need experience fishing cables - a coat hanger will work for the rear camera easily.

you can always remove a few upper bumper bolts for the rear bumper as well (still no need at all to remove entire bumper)

ive done both front + rear cams without neeeding to remove anything - the rear centre drill cam I didn’t worry about hitting anything … but for the front I did look up a diagram of the bumper retainer frame so I wouldn’t drill into a mounting clip

Last edited by myw; 02-15-2023 at 07:56 PM.
dlascoskie (02-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request