Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 07:28 AM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You must have a completely different original amplifier in the A pillar in a boxter as compared to a 997. When replacing mine there are 2 amplifiers to remove (white one on the left and black one on the right) They have two connections to the antenna via a flat cable, a round cable back to the PCM and a power cable. The new amplifiers in the PCCM kit only have 2 connections one to either flat antenna cable and the round cable back to the PCM. the others are disregarded. Please see below the old amplifiers and the new ones in each pillar

Old 05-02-2023, 07:37 AM
VladD
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I eventually found a post on Boxa.net where someone else has the same issue. No resolution there though. Might have to pop over to the local Porsche dealer to see if they have an answer. I've sent an email to Porsche too, but I don't know how quickly they usually respond.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:37 PM
brudomen
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
Re seat the canbus connector.. yellow green plugs

and maybe redo setup
Originally Posted by brudomen
makes sense. I’m out of town but will do this when I get back
thanks!!!
it worked but now nav program is quitting and it says gos antenna is disconnected. I have reseated it several times
Old 05-02-2023, 12:38 PM
brudomen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carrera01
Where did you place the Navigation antenna?
gos antenna is on PCCM shelf. Was working perfectly before
Old 05-02-2023, 11:58 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bxstrCA
My PCCM+ is starting up in colour and then shifting to grayscale (Porsche crest, album covers etc.). I think I changed a setting somewhere but unfortunately the 'Factory reset' option doesn't touch that config. Did anyone run into this issue?
It appears to be the HUB saturation (?) subtracting and adding decreases/increases the colour saturation. (found in the Version Info 'hold for 15 secs' menu. No need to go there 😁
Old 05-03-2023, 12:03 AM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve W
No settings to change, those pins already output analog line level out. That's what I use to feed the JL amplifier. The MOST box, which I don't use, just takes those analog outs and converts it to a digital fiber optic signal for a Bose amp, which I don't have. See here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18682184
I changed the PCCM back to "CAN" and left the "amp ctl switch" to 'ON'. I connected the CANBUS connector, removed the brown connector but my external amp is not turning on. How are you getting your JL amp to turn on? Since I've switched the C1 connector to CAN, I have no 5V trigger.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:55 PM
brudomen
Intermediate

I want to repost here to possibly clear up any confusion on my issue. Sorry for the long post.
Hopefully someone can help... If you skip to the end, I only have a NAV issue (not CarPlay, that works fine)

I had installed the pccm and everything, including nav, was working fine, but the XM reception was poor.
I removed the pccm and relocated the xm antenna to under the cowl.
When I put everything back together, I couldn't plug the PCCM+ big red female connector to the matching black vehicle connector
When I had installed in initially, it went together fine.
I fussed around with it and finally pushed the crap out of it and it went together
Strangely now when I take the key out of the ignition, the dash does not turn off and the PCCM+ does not turn off.
They used to turn off before.
When I lock the car, the dash shuts off, but the PCCM+ stays on until I long press the volume ****
I found out that the pccm (as most of you probably know) also shuts off after 4 minutes.
Another issue is that the steering wheel controls stopped working.
I reseated the CAN bus connectors (as someone suggested) and that resolved the pccm turning off and dash lights shutting off with the key removal.
But the steering wheel controls didn't work.
I did a factory reset and that fixed the steering wheel controls, but now I have a NAV issue
The iGo program keeps shutting down and the screen says the GPS antenna has been disconnected.
I have reseated the antenna (which worked perfectly fine before the factory reset), but still no luck.
So the only remaining issue is the NAV program
Any thoughts???

Thanks
Bennett

Originally Posted by brudomen
Hopefully someone can assist here...
I had successfully installed the PCCM+ in my 06 997.1
Yesterday I removed it to relocate the Sirius antenna under the cowl, because on the PCCM+ shelf, the reception was poor.
I also removed the old Sirius unit in the frunk, that had been installed by the PO
When I put everything back together, I couldn't plug the PCCM+ big red female connector to the matching black vehicle connector
When I had installed in initially, it went together fine.
I fussed around with it and finally pushed the crap out of it and it went together
Strangely now when I take the key out of the ignition, the dash does not turn off and the PCCM+ does not turn off.
They used to turn off before yesterday
When I lock the car, the dash shuts off, but the PCCM+ stays on until I long press the volume ****
Anyone know what the heck is going on???
Thanks in advance
Bennett

UPDATE: looks like there is a 4 minute timeout for the dash but not for the PCCM+. I have to manually turn if the PCCM+
Also, the multifunction buttons on the steering wheel no longer work, and it is checked off in the configuration
Old 05-03-2023, 06:54 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,193 Likes on 2,182 Posts

John or Steve - I'm splitting hairs here. When I installed the USB to route to the rear, I zip tied only to the other USB, to add some stability (pic below). I didn't secure it to the side of the unit using a zip tie since I was struggling a bit to get the zip tie to make a complete circle (through 2 holes). Is this an issue? Should I open the unit and secure it to the side? Or am I ok? I don't want to disconnect all the connectors and risk issues with 15 y/o plastic snapping, but also want to make sure it's right.

I'm also going to recommend that people electrical tape the USB coming out of the back to whatever USB they connect to it to make sure it doesn't come undone.

Thanks again Steve for coming up with the idea and John for sending me one.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:29 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
John or Steve - I'm splitting hairs here. When I installed the USB to route to the rear, I zip tied only to the other USB, to add some stability (pic below). I didn't secure it to the side of the unit using a zip tie since I was struggling a bit to get the zip tie to make a complete circle (through 2 holes). Is this an issue? Should I open the unit and secure it to the side? Or am I ok? I don't want to disconnect all the connectors and risk issues with 15 y/o plastic snapping, but also want to make sure it's right.

I'm also going to recommend that people electrical tape the USB coming out of the back to whatever USB they connect to it to make sure it doesn't come undone.

Thanks again Steve for coming up with the idea and John for sending me one.

It's a bit hard to get that zip tie in the holes but i would recommend have it tight to the side. Here's what mine looks like:

And yes i 100% agree on putting something around the USB connector in the back, here's what i did....i used a shrink tube that can easily be cut if you need to remove the radio for whatever reason.

John

Old 05-04-2023, 12:47 AM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve W
Since you have an aftermarket amp, you can drive it directly from the low level signal output from the PCCM unit, that the previous units did not have before. The low level L & R signals come out of the 12 pin connector where the MOST box would be connected. Aftermarket amps have no need for the MOST box converter, as the purpose of the MOST box is to take the analog signal and convert it to a fiber optic signal for a MOST amp. You do this by building a custom 12 pin connector with RCA outputs direct to the L & R output of the unit. See below.

Circled in red below is the above connector with the RCA output that drive my aftermarket amps directly into their low level input, without the need to drive them from the brown speaker level output, which would normally require signal attenuation. This also bypasses the internal amplifier of the unit, or a cleaner output signal.

So hopefully, to close this configuration off, I followed Steve W's approach: Used the 12 pin connector to a L and R RCA out, directly to the 'A' channel of the Hertz Mille amp (I was previously using the A and B via the yellow C1 connector block, after activating the PCCM+ AMP). Alone, the sound was not good, even after adjusting the cross-overs from the amp. On a whim, I connected the speaker block (brown) and the sound is much more improved. I'll leave that block connected. Despite being switched over to the CANbus setting, the #6 pin of the yellow C1 block is still able to send the remote AMP trigger. I've used that and it works. So I have some CANbus (temp, mileage etc.) I do not appear to have buttons that light up or any additional setting control (DRLs etc.) Thanks again Steve W for directing me to this solution. On with the other trouble points!
Old 05-04-2023, 10:20 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Can anyone confirm if this unit has buttons that light up with the headlights? Mine does not, so I wanted to check before trying to find which wire/plug handles that.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2023, 11:16 PM
willywar
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime Running Lights Not Working

Hey Freinds,

I reinstalled my PCCM+ and everything is working as advertised except the DRL. Any suggestions?
Old 05-04-2023, 11:51 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Originally Posted by willywar
Hey Freinds,

I reinstalled my PCCM+ and everything is working as advertised except the DRL. Any suggestions?
I believe it was mentioned that your car needs to have the Sport Chrono package installed for this feature to work.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:00 AM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Default Camera not detected

Originally Posted by svandamme
Rear view Camera instructions

Apply 12volt and presto PCCM turns on the reverse camera view.

Complete diagram:

Option 1 Splice Reversing light in the rear (typically black cable blue stripe)
use that to power the Camera with 12v and send trigger back over the RCA cable to pin 6

Option 2 Pin 8 can be used to power the camera
When 6 receives 12 volt, it will switch on 8 for the camera power

This requires splice the cable loom near the fuse panel in the front , drivers side footwell
and send power back from PCCM to the camera over the RCA cable

To test
You have to perform the PCCM auto configure with camera powered and pin 6 triggered
During the autodetect, it will acknlowledge 'Rear view Camera detected" and after finishing the auto detect, from then on , each time 6 is triggered you get audible click as it switches over to the RCA feed
If no feed it displays an orange camera symbol, with trigger audio volume is also reduced when it switches over to the camera.
I chose option 1. When in reverse, I'm getting 12V going to pin 6, yet the camera is not being detected (reverse lights on and the ground must be good to get the power to pin 6). Any thoughts on what else I could check?
Old 05-05-2023, 12:56 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bxstrCA
I chose option 1. When in reverse, I'm getting 12V going to pin 6, yet the camera is not being detected (reverse lights on and the ground must be good to get the power to pin 6). Any thoughts on what else I could check?
Do you have the tail light plugged in when you are testing this?

John

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request