Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 04:12 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanla997
I had it originally installed with the external microphone. The sound quality (even when speaking directly into the microphone) was muted. I tested this by calling multiple people and then doing voice recordings on my phone. When I disabled the external microphone, I performed the same tests and the sound quality was dramatically better.
I had the same experience. I made two phone calls, one to my wife and one to a friend, and they both confirmed that I sounded better using the internal mic vs. the external mic. I also left myself a VM while toggling between mics in the menu, similar to what I did with my wife and my friend, and confirmed I sounded slightly better on the internal mic. The internal mic sounded crisper and more clear, as opposed to slightly muffled with the external mic. Also, the internal mic sounded just a bit louder, but not much. Neither mic is fantastic, but the consensus is the internal mic is better. It's worth noting I did those tests with the car parked and the engine not running.
The following users liked this post:
misterdega (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 04:35 PM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
It’s not arrived yet. It should appear this week though. Weather permitting, I’m planning to fit my PCCM+ this coming weekend. Will let you all know as soon as I’ve tried it.
The cable has arrived and I’ve installed my PCM (just refitting trim now). Sadly the cable fits but the USB is not operational and does not work with car play.
hehe (01-14-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 05:00 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The cable has arrived and I’ve installed my PCM (just refitting trim now). Sadly the cable fits but the USB is not operational and does not work with car play.
That's exactly what I feared. In my opinion, if there is any chance at all, then this only works with the original external media box of the 996 PCCM.
Old 01-12-2023, 05:10 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

I have friends with .1 cars who may want to upgrade, so I've been following this thread for when I help with their installations. Maybe I'm missing something regarding the GPS antenna as well as the SD navigation card ...

Isn't one of the purposes of adding Carplay / AA to use their Maps programs? Why are the GPS antenna and the SD card a concern?
Old 01-12-2023, 06:08 PM
dph928
Instructor

He’s some pics from my install. I removed the centre air vent and found a nice position for the gps receiver with only plastic above it.

I also tidied up the wires and put foam around the connections to the old loom to avoid rattles.

I butchered an old Porsche microphone and used bumper plastic repair to fix new PCCM mic into it. Works perfectly and installed in left hand slot on centre console. I again put foam on the wire going out of the cowl to avoid rattles. The wire is zip tied the the metal rod which moves with the steering column.

All working great. Amplifiers replaced and again anti rattle foam and double sided tape as well as screws.

The bolt on the left that secures the old PCM (assume to make it harder to steal) is not required. If you fit it, it will make the left side trim piece have a gap to PCCM like in my pics on the left. I realised this afterwards (it bends the plastic as there is no reciprocal hole on the PCCM plus).

I’ll post some pics of my nav dvd delete at the weekend. Still to do that.

cheers and good luck with your installs.

Tied up wires. Taped and foamed.

New amp. Redundant wires taped up and foam added.

New amp for dab. Anti rattle foam added.

Centre right you can see the mic wire zip tied to rod going to column.

Middle left you can see my modified PCCM mic

GPS unit, left of centre vent stuck to metal bracket. Only plastic above. Had to remove centre vent and move ducting to get it there. Works great.

GPS unit left of ducting.

PCCM up and running!

Last edited by dph928; 01-13-2023 at 12:00 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dph928:
myw (02-15-2023), nbdrinkwater (07-23-2023), nydog (01-14-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 06:15 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I have friends with .1 cars who may want to upgrade, so I've been following this thread for when I help with their installations. Maybe I'm missing something regarding the GPS antenna as well as the SD navigation card ...

Isn't one of the purposes of adding Carplay / AA to use their Maps programs? Why are the GPS antenna and the SD card a concern?
The SD card maps (from my understanding) is to supply the oem porsche nav system, the latest map data. To get the maximum value of the pccm+ so that the turn-to-turn driving instructions show up in the instrument cluster - then the driver will have to use the oem porsche nav system, as this type of data (from what I know) will not be being transmitted by carplay/AA.

The cars GPS puck IS used by carplay for gps based apps (waze, gMaps).
Old 01-12-2023, 06:18 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

genius mate!

GPS unit, left of centre vent stuck to metal bracket. Only plastic above. Had to remove centre vent and move ducting to get it there. Works great.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:02 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by medicus
That's exactly what I feared. In my opinion, if there is any chance at all, then this only works with the original external media box of the 996 PCCM.
I don’t think there’ll be anything special about the Porsche box. It’s connects to the usb hub socket the same and the aux goes to the analogue input. I think it’s probably just disabled. Maybe there will be a hack at some point to turn it on. There is no power or data with from the terminal (usb).

Last edited by dph928; 01-12-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:32 PM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don’t think there’ll be anything special about the Porsche box. It’s connects to the usb hub socket the same and the aux goes to the analogue input. I think it’s probably just disabled. Maybe there will be a hack at some point to turn it on. There is no power or data with from the terminal (usb).
Greetings fellow Porsche enthusiasts from Australia - First time post! - Thank you everyone for the great information and photos re the installation process, Invaluable! I have a 2005 C2 and ordered the PCCM+ and SD card through a local Dealer which will arrive in a week or so. We down under like the EU, use DAB+ and I see dph928 installed the new amplifiers in the A pillars like per the FGP video. Did you use the existing cables from the previous AM and FM amplifiers hence it plugs straight in or need to run new wires? Also was removing and refitting the A pillar covers straight forward?
Old 01-12-2023, 08:38 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
The SD card maps (from my understanding) is to supply the oem porsche nav system, the latest map data. To get the maximum value of the pccm+ so that the turn-to-turn driving instructions show up in the instrument cluster - then the driver will have to use the oem porsche nav system, as this type of data (from what I know) will not be being transmitted by carplay/AA.

The cars GPS puck IS used by carplay for gps based apps (waze, gMaps).
I updated my 997.2 to run Carplay / AA. My original PCM did not have Nav. I do not have a GPS antenna. But Maps and Waze work fine since they transmit all required information to the display. I get voice information for turns and warnings through the sound system.
turb0 (01-22-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 10:58 PM
signde
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 155 Posts

It may vary depending on the implementation but I can state for a fact having installed at least 3 aftermarket CarPlay head units that CarPlay can and will default to the GPS signal from the head unit. I ended up having to dash mount the GPS antenna from one Alpine unit and one Kenwood unit in two different cars, one of which was my 997. Without it mounted there any navigation app would often get lost, especially in areas with lots of roads close together. I could disconnect from CarPlay then open the app on the phone and my GPS location would be fine so I knew my phone had a good GPS lock. Mounted the puck on the dash and problem solved each time.
myw (01-13-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 11:39 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carrera01
Greetings fellow Porsche enthusiasts from Australia - First time post! - Thank you everyone for the great information and photos re the installation process, Invaluable! I have a 2005 C2 and ordered the PCCM+ and SD card through a local Dealer which will arrive in a week or so. We down under like the EU, use DAB+ and I see dph928 installed the new amplifiers in the A pillars like per the FGP video. Did you use the existing cables from the previous AM and FM amplifiers hence it plugs straight in or need to run new wires? Also was removing and refitting the A pillar covers straight forward?
It’s a straight swap with the existing amplifiers, but only one connection to the screen antenna is used on either side and the power is not used on either side (three extra plugs left at the end. I taped these up). Cheers.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

OK, perhaps this will clarify the GPS antenna. It looks like a good idea to install it. It could be the kits to add Carplay to the .2 cars don't use it. Not sure. But the kits that I've installed do not have a connection for an antenna.

Edit: The .2 update kits are wireless. It would seem that, being untethered, the antenna could be useful.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 01-12-2023 at 11:56 PM.
myw (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 05:53 AM
medicus
Advanced

[ There is no power or data with from the terminal (usb).[/QUOTE]

You're right, if there's no power, that can't work. Then we have a problem.
I didn't think they would really deactivate it.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:25 AM
medicus
Advanced

[QUOTE=dph928;18567877]He’s some pics from my install. I removed the centre air vent and found a nice position for the gps receiver with only plastic above it.

What is wrong with the position on the pillar as shown in the FGP video? You have the trim down anyway, you can also attach it there.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request