Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 02:19 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Still stuck with a read only install guide on the Rennlist forum.. mods not responding to me flagging the post.

Tried ifixit as a framework for the installguide, but the thing is very limited in amount ot steps and editing
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Porsche...acement/157646
not happy with it..

Alternative will be to move the install guide back to pelicanparts where the forum does not lock me out of my posts and allows me to edit and update the post continously

Does anybody have good contact with rennlist moderators, to get their help on that?
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...diy-guide.html

Old 02-04-2023, 08:52 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=svandamme;18611399]Well android version is not going to fix it if you want to do things on wifi, cause the wifi on the pccm+ is hardcode disabled.. and there is no simcard for wireless access.
indeed, clearly PCCM+ is not for you then, wishing a 15 year old car would do what a modern car has, I Don't think that is what Porsche Classic is about...
I guess for you , PCCM+ 1 din uinit for the older cars is also a complete waste , because despite the features, it won't make a 3.2 Carrera as modern as a 992.. right?

on another note, I removed the 2 top locking tabs off my pccm+ because those remain a royal pain in the neck for removal of pccm+
and for what its worth, they aren't needed.. the PCCM sits very snug with the bottom locking tabs and the center console side cheeks make it sit snug..

perhaps later after experimentation fase will i reinstall em, but for now i want easy of access to the rear[/QUOTE

Last edited by medicus; 02-05-2023 at 01:59 AM.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:56 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Last edited by medicus; 02-05-2023 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:52 PM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
there are cameras that simply fit in the license plate light.. no drilling required.
Porsche uses VW style License plate lights and those are on aliexpress

https://nl.aliexpress.com/w/wholesal...home.1000002.0

personally i'de rather use one of those than drill a hole imma rear bumper
Thanks that looks interesting, where would you run the cable? is there a hole currently behind the license plate?
Old 02-05-2023, 04:54 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera01
Thanks that looks interesting, where would you run the cable? is there a hole currently behind the license plate?
from what i gather you will need a small hole drilled right beside of the license plate light, but upwards, so the hole would never be visible.

there are others on ali, that have some kind of passage for the wire, via the light hole, but those have smaller lights and thus need a LED placement
Old 02-05-2023, 08:32 AM
willywar
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone cracked the code on back up camera on a manual? I have the PCCM ready to install and would like a back up camera but I’m not seeing anyone that has had it work with a manual. Looking for any help out there.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:03 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

there is no code to crack
Why would it be different from a tiptronic, which has already been "cracked".. AV out from the camera to the unused fakra conector on the PCCM harnass.
get power to the camera, and trigger off the reversing light.

have not been able to do it myself, wrong fakra to RCA sent to me so couldn't progress
Old 02-05-2023, 10:53 AM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought a couple cameras off Amazon to try and have a manual/stick - will report if have any luck figuring out on the DIY side. Waiting on a Fakra to RCA adapter to be delivered (hopefully today). As noted here, would assume will need to trigger off the reversing wire light which could access at one of the rear taillights.

My bigger concern is where to mount it and concealing it as much as possible. I looked at hiding inside the spoiler - isn't going to work the camera is too big. Could mount in the normal place above the license plate, but on my artic silver car with white license plate (numbers/letters removed here in photo) - the black camera really stands out and I don't like the look. Thought about painting the camera housing to match the silver possibly, but still it really hangs down over the license plate frame and into plate. Maybe being too picky but this obviously isn't something we must have so trying to figure if worth the possible eyesore.

I'm considering this approach - what do you think? This is not fully mounted just testing the position. It's around the heat yes, but think removing the bumper, think could run the wires between the heat shield and bumper. I don't love it but right now feeling like may be my best option to try.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:23 AM
signde
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
there are others on ali, that have some kind of passage for the wire, via the light hole, but those have smaller lights and thus need a LED placement
the one i linked does not have a smaller light and does not use LED. it reuses the existing light and simply integrates a camera mount into the clear cover.

if you go with one of the integrated ali express ones you'll want to do LED on the other side as well otherwise you end up with mismatched brightness. may not bother everyone but it would certainly bother me.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:35 AM
maxw
Instructor

Originally Posted by signde
the one i linked does not have a smaller light and does not use LED. it reuses the existing light and simply integrates a camera mount into the clear cover.

if you go with one of the integrated ali express ones you'll want to do LED on the other side as well otherwise you end up with mismatched brightness. may not bother everyone but it would certainly bother me.
That's a cool option you shared signde (
this one this one
) and I think it looks great on your BMW - blends in enough to me with the blue paint. On your white colored 997 and being off-center - not sure. Assume you haven't mounted it yet to share what it looks like?
Old 02-05-2023, 11:44 AM
maxw
Instructor

I think I missed ordering what may look like a better option - at least as far as a smaller footprint, no idea if will work or quality - but I may try/order
this one this one

I ordered these two styles from the same vender. These are inexpensive - no idea on output quality at this point but housings seems good. Funny enough checkout the Photoshop hack job on the box it came in:

Old 02-05-2023, 11:47 AM
signde
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
That's a cool option you shared signde (this one) and I think it looks great on your BMW - blends in enough to me with the blue paint. On your white colored 997 and being off-center - not sure. Assume you haven't mounted it yet to share what it looks like?
i only have that option on my R32 because i did that one myself. i am lazy and did not want to remove the bumper. i don't love the off center positioning which is the biggest negative. it doesn't affect the view though as these cameras have a super wide angle. you'd never know by what you see on screen it isn't centered.

IMO the best option for camera positioning, just get one of the low profile ones and drill the bumper above the license plate. it sounds drastic but it's just a bumper and it's a small hole. i had a shop do my 997 along with a bunch of other things and i think it came out great. everyone has different levels but OCD but i barely notice it is there and it has never once bothered me.

The following 2 users liked this post by signde:
maxw (02-05-2023), myw (02-07-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 11:53 AM
maxw
Instructor

Originally Posted by signde
i only have that option on my R32 because i did that one myself. i am lazy and did not want to remove the bumper. i don't love the off center positioning which is the biggest negative. it doesn't affect the view though as these cameras have a super wide angle. you'd never know by what you see on screen it isn't centered.

IMO the best option for camera positioning, just get one of the low profile ones and drill the bumper above the license plate. it sounds drastic but it's just a bumper and it's a small hole. i had a shop do my 997 along with a bunch of other things and i think it came out great. everyone has different levels but OCD but i barely notice it is there and it has never once bothered me.
Thanks for sharing that and would agree that looks totally fine. I may try the lower profile one I sent above - agree with your comments the holes on the bumper here are not a big deal.
The following 3 users liked this post by maxw:
medicus (02-05-2023), myw (02-07-2023), signde (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 02:49 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
I bought a couple cameras off Amazon to try and have a manual/stick - will report if have any luck figuring out on the DIY side. Waiting on a Fakra to RCA adapter to be delivered (hopefully today). As noted here, would assume will need to trigger off the reversing wire light which could access at one of the rear taillights.

My bigger concern is where to mount it and concealing it as much as possible. I looked at hiding inside the spoiler - isn't going to work the camera is too big. Could mount in the normal place above the license plate, but on my artic silver car with white license plate (numbers/letters removed here in photo) - the black camera really stands out and I don't like the look. Thought about painting the camera housing to match the silver possibly, but still it really hangs down over the license plate frame and into plate. Maybe being too picky but this obviously isn't something we must have so trying to figure if worth the possible eyesore.

I'm considering this approach - what do you think? This is not fully mounted just testing the position. It's around the heat yes, but think removing the bumper, think could run the wires between the heat shield and bumper. I don't love it but right now feeling like may be my best option to try.

Maxw. Did you actually get a picture off of the new PCCM+?
Old 02-05-2023, 09:45 PM
maxw
Instructor

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
Maxw. Did you actually get a picture off of the new PCCM+?
Not yet - just got the Fakra to RCA cable delivered today (thanks for your Amazon reference - bought that exact one). Looking more online today, I saw a different camera design (smaller) I want to try - ordered and will have in a couple of days. I'm tempted to try one I have on hand, but thought before cutting/splicing I wanted to make a final decision on what style I want and will probably return the others.

You mentioned you attempted install the camera on your manual, but no luck? How did you go about installing that didn't work? What camera did you try?

A few things I'm wondering - if anyone can shed light would appreciate it - seems at this point we may not have certain answers on these two items:

1. Does the PCCM+ support CVBS 480p only, or also AHD 720p high definition cameras? The cameras I ordered are AHD 720p but you can clip a wire to "downgrade" them to 480p if that is what is supported. The only camera I've seen reported here working is a Rydeen CM-LIP4 which is a 480p camera.
2. What is the trigger wire for a manual/stick? There is a wire on the PCCM+ that goes from the same camera/video out over to what I believe is the canbus connector, so maybe this base is covered and no trigger wire is needed? Maybe this is only supported for a Tiptronic though? If not supported this way on a manual and a trigger wire is needed - I imagine should connect the camera + to a switched or always on circuit and the trigger wire on the camera to a reverse light wire at the rear of the car?

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request