Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 05:51 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=mchrono;18696880]Well count yourself lucky!
My SD card from Gaudin just arrived today

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Gaudin. Was told that the 1/7/22 date on the back indicates that the card is from the new batch they just received and should work for PCCM+ Can anyone confirm? I wont be able to test until tomorrow

]
Yes. Can confirm that is the one I got from Gaudin and it indeed did work.
The following users liked this post:
mchrono (03-20-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 09:13 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
EDIT: Just got off the phone with Gaudin. Was told that the 1/7/22 date on the back indicates that the card is from the new batch they just received and should work for PCCM+ Can anyone confirm? I wont be able to test until tomorrow.
Do NOT go by the date published on the packaging. Porsche has committed a cardinal sin of using the exact same part number and the exact same packaging for the "corrected" version as the defective version. I currently have a *defective* copy and it has the exact same 01.07.2022 date on the back of the case as your *good* card has.

My question is what is the date that is actually on the *SD card label* of the cards that work? My *defective* card uses Q2/2021, and I HOPE the corrected card uses a 2023 date.

Last edited by JustinCase; 03-20-2023 at 09:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
svandamme (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 04:53 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
The orange "no camera" message is what am talking about here. I don't get it going out of reverse (as you do) but but get it going into reverse. If I powered off the reverse light maybe I wouldn't have the problem going into - my power line is running the full length of the car (from fuse box to camera in rear). And indeed maybe I'm overcomplicating things using a relay - I just didn't want to pull power from that existing circuit - but agree this likely is no big deal. Regardless either scenario, we have the "no camera" error that is annoying.
Try it straight off the reverse light in the rear.. or front. apparantly you can splice it there as well.
if it works and shows no error on shifting to Reverse why bother with the relay that does give the error ??
The only error you see is as you shift forward for 1/10th of a second.. which is not a problem since you are driving off and should be looking out in front of your car anyways at that point!

I really see not advantage, that camera does not draw enough power to cause problems.

You mentioned mini before.. well Mini's are BMW's and BMW's are all built with mucho programming and delicate BS.. 9x7 Porsches are not to that complicated level of electronics.
I had a 118D and driver window open.. the window buttons got wet..
the entire car went nuts.
open window high beam on

windshield wiper, right door window opened
every thing bonkers because of a bit of wet stuff on the left door console.

BMW took 4 days to fix it.. replacing hte module did nothing.. they had to get the Germans to remote control in and reprogram the entire damn car.

Porsche 9x7 is simple that way... use the reverse light wire... fogettaboutit.

Old 03-21-2023, 04:55 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase
Do NOT go by the date published on the packaging. Porsche has committed a cardinal sin of using the exact same part number and the exact same packaging for the "corrected" version as the defective version. I currently have a *defective* copy and it has the exact same 01.07.2022 date on the back of the case as your *good* card has.

My question is what is the date that is actually on the *SD card label* of the cards that work? My *defective* card uses Q2/2021, and I HOPE the corrected card uses a 2023 date.

I bet they are letting the dealers rewrite the SD cards somehow.. and as such reuse all the boxes and packaging and nothing gets sent back and forth across the atlantic..
Old 03-21-2023, 10:53 AM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
Try it straight off the reverse light in the rear.. or front. apparantly you can splice it there as well.
if it works and shows no error on shifting to Reverse why bother with the relay that does give the error ??
The only error you see is as you shift forward for 1/10th of a second.. which is not a problem since you are driving off and should be looking out in front of your car anyways at that point!

I really see not advantage, that camera does not draw enough power to cause problems.

You mentioned mini before.. well Mini's are BMW's and BMW's are all built with mucho programming and delicate BS.. 9x7 Porsches are not to that complicated level of electronics.
I had a 118D and driver window open.. the window buttons got wet..
the entire car went nuts.
open window high beam on

windshield wiper, right door window opened
every thing bonkers because of a bit of wet stuff on the left door console.

BMW took 4 days to fix it.. replacing hte module did nothing.. they had to get the Germans to remote control in and reprogram the entire damn car.

Porsche 9x7 is simple that way... use the reverse light wire... fogettaboutit.
Funny - well after more debate/discussions I agree it's totally fine to power off the reverse light and my earlier concern about not doing this over my MINI/BMW experience was really unnecessary paranoia. And agree the error message isn't a big deal - just in the pursuit of perfection it would be nice to eliminate the error message all around. This is a Porsche after all right - we can't settle for errors! (ignoring bore scoring and the IMS stuff)
The following 2 users liked this post by maxw:
nikandriko (03-21-2023), svandamme (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 11:39 AM
Amge63
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fourthirteen
Best price I’ve seen. Harper often has best prices that I can find.
PCCM+
Suncoast has it for $1.83 less. But they're backordered. They weren't shy about charging me right away but with no promise of a shipment date though. Imagine the influx of order dollars they took for the PCCM and not shipping it for weeks/months.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:40 PM
Mfleahy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase

I can also confirm that the 01.07.22 date does NOT mean you have a good SD card. Mine has that date too and doesn't work. The label on the SD card "holder" shows Q2/2021 which should mean that the maps are mid-2021 data. The 01.07.22 date on the part label on the back of the plastic box, if it follows European date rules, is July 1, 2022.

For what it's worth, when I got the card from Porsche (Atlanta warehouse according to the dealer), I put the micro-SD card+holder into a Windows 10 computer and got "There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it." I did not do any scanning or fixing, put it in the PCCM+ and it started working in the crippled state (no pun intended).

And finally, for what it's worth, if I attempt to make a low-level, sector-by-sector copy of the almost-working micro SD card and try to use it in the car, I get an "iGO software is starting" for a long while and it doesn't start. I guess there is likely some copy protection stuff going on so that disk duplication (or backup) won't work. I will be at the dealer where I bought the card in a few days, so I'll ask the parts department if they know anything about the "fix."
Old 03-21-2023, 01:13 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfleahy
I can also confirm that the 01.07.22 date does NOT mean you have a good SD card. Mine has that date too and doesn't work. The label on the SD card "holder" shows Q2/2021 which should mean that the maps are mid-2021 data. The 01.07.22 date on the part label on the back of the plastic box, if it follows European date rules, is July 1, 2022.
Me too--the Nav card I bought in January from Gaudin with the PCCM+, shows those same dates as you noted, on the plastic box and on the SD card holder. And it has the map issue (no states alphabetically after NY--I'm in TX) I'm going to call Gaudin and see if I can get the new card.

Edit: Just got off the phone with Gaudin and they're shipping me the new Nav card along with a shipping label to return the one I have. Fingers crossed that the new one works for me as it did for FritzCurtis

Last edited by Paul S.; 03-21-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:06 PM
Johnnycakes1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
May want to check with Porsche North Olmsted. When I messaged them right after they were launched and only classic dealers had them, they had no idea what I was talking about and they said they weren't in their system. It looks like now you're able to order from them. I'd call them and ask to order one and also ask for a PCA discount, if you're a member. They typically do 10% off parts.

https://www.porschenortholmsted.com/...%3D99764259100

$1500 total with the disk from my local dealer.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

What should I be checking to ensure my card works? I was able to find my location and store my home and work addresses. Is that enough or should I be trying to plan a trip to a bunch of Midwest states?
Old 03-21-2023, 04:52 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,979 Likes on 2,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnycakes1
$1500 total with the disk from my local dealer.
Did North Olmsted have them finally? Or did you use Beachwood?
Old 03-21-2023, 04:58 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
What should I be checking to ensure my card works? I was able to find my location and store my home and work addresses. Is that enough or should I be trying to plan a trip to a bunch of Midwest states?
You're in CA and any address in a state NY or prior would work with a "bad" card. Try to plot a trip to a state like Nevada, Texas, or other state of your choice that is alphabetically after New York. If it plots the trip you're good because the only way it can do that is if the maps loaded include the destination state. Whoops, Nevada is alphabetically before New York--Dooh!

Last edited by Paul S.; 03-21-2023 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:04 PM
Johnnycakes1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Did North Olmsted have them finally? Or did you use Beachwood?
N.O.

is that a decent price?
Old 03-21-2023, 05:42 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
Max is trying to rid the orange message completely (when the camera power is out of sync with the pccm+ in reverse cam mode) - regardless of when shifting in, or out of reverse.
@Steve W if the above is done purely with electronics, wouldn’t that mean adding a capacitor (and a diode) serially before the reverse trigger hits pin6 (so that the camera has time to power up before the pccm gets triggered) and a slightly larger capacitor (or more capacitors in parallel, same thing) in the diagram you provided to compensate for this added delay? Wouldn’t this eliminate delays on both fronts?

@maxw is that you had in mind or doing it from the software side of things?

Last edited by nikandriko; 03-21-2023 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:22 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by nikandriko
@Steve W if the above is done purely with electronics, wouldn’t that mean adding a capacitor (and a diode) serially before the reverse trigger hits pin6 (so that the camera has time to power up before the pccm gets triggered) and a slightly larger capacitor (or more capacitors in parallel, same thing) in the diagram you provided to compensate for this added delay? Wouldn’t this eliminate delays on both fronts?

@maxw is that you had in mind or doing it from the software side of things?
That won't work. In your case you'd want to delay the reverse trigger activation, to say 1/2 second after the cam receives power. It sounds like your cam may be slow to boot up, and so honestly, they're so cheap at $20, try a different cam, or maybe just go ahead and connect it to a 12v power source at the rear when the car is on, and if it goes out, like myw speculates could happen, just replace it. I think it may be fine to power continuously, if they are made with any quality. This way you won't get any 'no cam' message in or out of reverse gear.

BTW, after using the PCCM+ unit for a while, I did not like the ergonomics of how Carplay required the use of the front USB plug. The cable sticking out interfered with the operation of the Back button above it, and wtth the cable sticking out of the face of the unit so close to the buttons, I think there's potential for the port to get damaged from accidentally pressing against it too much. So I relocated the front USB Carplay port to the rear of the unit, and swapped the rear USB port to the front port of the unit. Now I can relocate the lightning cable to come out from the back and have the second USB port available at the front of the unit, as you can see in the picture below. Note the lit USB stick active at the front port, while my iPhone connects to the white lighting cable for Carplay coming from the back.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve W:
maxw (03-22-2023), myw (03-21-2023), turb0 (03-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request