Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 08:41 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

For those of you following the SD Map Card saga, I received my *replacement* SD Card this afternoon, put it in my PCCM+, performed Auto-Configuration for good measure, then fired up Navigation. No va -- my replacement card is still missing all those states after New York alphabetically. I was not terribly surprised at this result, given that someone at the well-respected and deeply experienced professional engineering firm of Porsche made the awful decision to re-use the same part number, packaging, and apparently version number with no new markings or revision number. I predict the cost of Porsche NA trying to manage their mixed-up inventory while stamping out warranty issue fire after warranty issue fire with this card will greatly exceed any monies saved in packaging and labeling costs.

In pretty much all Toyota Production System companies, all existing inventory would have been immediately quarantined system-wide so the problem would be contained and no more bad cards could possibly be shipped, the quarantined units would be collected in one place and destroyed, the revised SD Card would be thoroughly tested and packaged with some sort of new revision indicator (geez -- a simple "New" sticker would be sufficient), then the replacement units would be shipped with some sort of apology, covering all shipping costs, and all of the above done is a *big hurry* before customer resentment starts to spread. Oh, and whoever made such a stupid decision to (a) *not* test the initial units and (b) *not* differentiate the corrected units would be asked to resign in disgrace. These are both rookie errors!

Last edited by JustinCase; 03-23-2023 at 08:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
defunct_neurons (06-29-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 09:05 PM
diceman725
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Jedi767
I just ordered yesterday from McKenna Porsche (in Los Angeles area) and they beat SunCoast' price.
*Edit - that was for the 955 PCCM. They had a handful. Sorry - I forget I'm visiting the 997 section in hopes @Steve W will enlighten us on moving the USB to the back.
I'm a 957 owner - i hijacked this thread several weeks ago. Theyre much further ahead than those of us installing in the Cayennes.
dlascoskie (03-24-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 09:06 PM
Jedi767
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by diceman725
I'm a 957 owner - i hijacked this thread several weeks ago. Theyre much further ahead than those of us installing in the Cayennes.
That's awesome. I have the unit on my 996, where they at least gave us the box (that I have hidden in the glove connected to a wireless CarPlay adapter).

Just need someone to wake up Steve W and this thread will be a very happy one!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jedi767:
diceman725 (03-23-2023), dlascoskie (03-24-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 09:34 PM
fourthirteen
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jgoga
How did you relocate the USB to the back?
Apparently it’s a secret.
dlascoskie (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 12:03 AM
Steve W
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

So for everyone asking about the relocation of the port, it's pretty basic. Below are the internals of the unit as it comes when you open it. You see a black header cable that plugs in to the main board where circled, to another plug right behind the front USB port. That circled connection where you see the red/white/green/black wires is the main connection port for the front USB/CarPlay port. When you plug into the front USB port, the header cable basically brings that over to the main board connection header:

In the pictures below, the original black header cable is replaced with two new cables which pass through the existing hole at the rear of the unit. A female USB cable plugs into the header port of the main board, the one that CarPlay works through. The second USB port that comes out of the rear that we already know about that comes from Plug Connection C (aka Subaru/Nissan port), a cable plugs into that and brought to front panel USB plug. Both cables are zip tied to existing holes in the side of the case ruggedize/stabilize the cables and their connections.

The following 13 users liked this post by Steve W:
brudomen (03-24-2023), defunct_neurons (06-29-2023), dlascoskie (03-24-2023), fourthirteen (03-24-2023), Jedi767 (03-24-2023), lkraav (03-28-2023), maxw (03-24-2023), mchrono (03-24-2023), medicus (03-24-2023), myw (03-24-2023), Spastblast (03-24-2023), svandamme (03-24-2023), tornadosailor (03-24-2023) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-24-2023, 12:50 AM
Steve W
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

BTW, installation tips: these are all the parts that I have left over that I did not use. Not the side brackets or the shelf as it's just added weight, none of the antenna bypass cables (for diversity FM setups) as I had a FM single antenna setup, not the Most unit or cable as I don't have Bose, and especially the black/orange adapter harness added no value. If you actually look at the adapter harness, for the most part you'll realize it does nothing. Every wire in the adapter is tiny 20g wire including the power and ground, much thinner than you'll find coming from the harness from the car, which is something like 14g for power and ground. If your unit uses the amplifier in the unit to drive the car's speakers, the harness wires are way undersized. The only thing the whole harness does is bring a blue turn on jumper wire from Plug Connection A, A8 to C9 to turn on an ASK amplifier, if that's what you have. The yellow wire coming out of C19 serves no purpose on a 997, except to turn on the existing rear camera on a Cayenne. My suggestion is to look and see where each of the wires go that plugs into your existing harness, and if the wires dead end into nothing, mainly that blue wire, just don't use it and plug the existing car's harness connector into your unit.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve W:
defunct_neurons (06-29-2023), fourthirteen (03-24-2023), maxw (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 06:32 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

QUOTE=Steve W;18703863]So for everyone asking about the relocation of the port, it's pretty basic. Below are the internals of the unit as it comes when you open it. You see a black header cable that plugs in to the main board where circled, to another plug right behind the front USB port. That circled connection where you see the red/white/green/black wires is the main connection port for the front USB/CarPlay port. When you plug into the front USB port, the header cable basically brings that over to the main board connection header:

In the pictures below, the original black header cable is replaced with two new cables which pass through the existing hole at the rear of the unit. A female USB cable plugs into the header port of the main board, the one that CarPlay works through. The second USB port that comes out of the rear that we already know about that comes from Plug Connection C (aka Subaru/Nissan port), a cable plugs into that and brought to front panel USB plug. Both cables are zip tied to existing holes in the side of the case ruggedize/stabilize the cables and their connections.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks! adding it to the guide

Last edited by svandamme; 03-24-2023 at 07:07 AM.
dlascoskie (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 07:58 AM
vudores
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts

Thank you so much @Steve W. Because of the guide on here this is a project i feel very comfortable DIYing, and think i can handle this extra step, too haha. For the extra technologically inept, by any chance do you have links to the specific parts you used? Also, is opening the unit up pretty obvious how to do? I haven’t received mine yet.

And last question, just to confirm, if I have cdr24, definitely no Bose or even sound package plus, I can and should just use my existing harness, correct? It makes sense not to use all the Bose parts, Most unit, etc., which I would’ve done prior to your post since I’d have just followed the install guide here / YouTube install guide. So thanks for that, too!
Old 03-24-2023, 09:21 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,968 Likes on 2,046 Posts

Originally Posted by vudores
Thank you so much @Steve W. Because of the guide on here this is a project i feel very comfortable DIYing, and think i can handle this extra step, too haha. For the extra technologically inept, by any chance do you have links to the specific parts you used? Also, is opening the unit up pretty obvious how to do? I haven’t received mine yet.

And last question, just to confirm, if I have cdr24, definitely no Bose or even sound package plus, I can and should just use my existing harness, correct? It makes sense not to use all the Bose parts, Most unit, etc., which I would’ve done prior to your post since I’d have just followed the install guide here / YouTube install guide. So thanks for that, too!
Agreed, thank you @Steve W !

Also agree that if you have parts used that’d be great.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:06 AM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve W
So for everyone asking about the relocation of the port, it's pretty basic. Below are the internals of the unit as it comes when you open it. You see a black header cable that plugs in to the main board where circled, to another plug right behind the front USB port. That circled connection where you see the red/white/green/black wires is the main connection port for the front USB/CarPlay port. When you plug into the front USB port, the header cable basically brings that over to the main board connection header:

Oh wow!!!!!! thank you so much for sharing...you are brave sir......(please forgive my ignorance on the cable stuff) can you share how i can get my hands on this cable that splits it in two? Or i believe those are two separate cables?

Thank you so much...

Last edited by jgoga; 03-24-2023 at 10:23 AM.
11erCharlie (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 01:22 PM
11erCharlie
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rerouting usb 1/2 via the main connector on the motherboard

Great work! I just was wondering about the access to both usb connections (via the motherboard) iso routing #2 usb back in, via the rear connector). The connector on the board is it a 5 pin or 10 pin connection?
Old 03-24-2023, 01:39 PM
11erCharlie
4th Gear

Default PCCM new Antenna Amplifiers

Hi everybody,
as I installed a 3rd party Android unit to my 997.1 (about a year ago) I now would like to use the existing window antennas for DAB+ (Germany).
So can somebody provide the partnumbers of the two new antenna amplifiers/splitter wich come with the PCCM plus of the 997.
Thank you guys 😎

... before PCCM, but wireless CarPlay
Old 03-24-2023, 02:46 PM
Amge63
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Soooo - it begs the question. I assume both USB ports are functional but not at the same time? If we have our wireless module plugged into the back one, I assume it would not be advisable to try to put data through the front one. But it should be able to supply power to charge the phone?
Or - do we have two fully functional USB ports? I am not too clear from reading it...Sorry.

Last edited by Amge63; 03-24-2023 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-24-2023, 02:58 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you also remove the circled plugs when you removed the USB header cable? Or did you use the circled plugs to fix the new cables?

Old 03-24-2023, 03:12 PM
11erCharlie
4th Gear

Great work! I just was wondering about the accesss to both usb connections (via the motherboard) iso routing #2 usb back in, via the rear connector). The connector on the board is it a 5 pin or 10 pin connection?
​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request