Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 04:03 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Steve W! In my reading through this thread, I did not see this. Switched it to amp and now I have voltage from the yellow block. So the android menu has sub menus from each of the head menus in the system section? Interesting. I'm unable to determine if I have voltage coming from the line level speaker outs, on the bench (not sure how you test that w/o connecting to the amp).

Thanks again
Old 04-01-2023, 04:14 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Do you have a pic of how it's supposed to look? Thanks for posting and making us aware.
This was first documented by G.I.G. way back in post 441 where he included a photo for the correct setup. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18549134

Last edited by funcars; 04-01-2023 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
defunct_neurons (06-29-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 10:34 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,054 Posts

Originally Posted by funcars
This was first documented by G.I.G. way back in post 441 where he included a photo for the correct setup. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18549134
Thanks! Of course I was the one that asked him about this too and he replied to my post. Lol. Appreciate you sharing.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:08 PM
Sharon Stewart
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine bricked. Now what? None of the add-on alternatives work if the existing head is dead. Sigh.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:30 PM
SteveS83
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm having the dealer install this in my 997.1 tomorrow. Since the maps aren't yet available the dealer suggested to use Android auto for maps and they'll skip the GPS antenna install, but I'm wondering if that's the wrong approach. I'll probably only use Google maps from my phone... Not sure. Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2023, 10:32 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,054 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveS83
I'm having the dealer install this in my 997.1 tomorrow. Since the maps aren't yet available the dealer suggested to use Android auto for maps and they'll skip the GPS antenna install, but I'm wondering if that's the wrong approach. I'll probably only use Google maps from my phone... Not sure. Thoughts?
I thought I remembered conversation from early on in this thread that the GPS antenna should be installed no matter what. I’ll let someone else chime in about that, but people were claiming the unit would still use it even if using android auto or apple CarPlay maps. But against I may be mistaken.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:42 PM
SteveS83
Instructor

I thought I remembered conversation from early on in this thread that the GPS antenna should be installed no matter what. I’ll let someone else chime in about that, but people were claiming the unit would still use it even if using android auto or apple CarPlay maps. But against I may be mistaken.
​​​​​​
The dealer actually suggested not to install it after suggesting to use car play/ android auto. They said installing the antenna takes considerable more time/cost.

How long should this whole install process take? Seems fairly simple, and I probably should do it myself but I have no time these days. Few hours?
Old 04-03-2023, 04:19 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

You don't absolutely need it for the maps
but it serves as time source , that automatically knows your timezone

But you can use alternatte methods as well, RDS in Europe, or manual time for US..manual time may skew over time
Old 04-03-2023, 08:00 AM
SteveS83
Instructor

That's good to know. Maybe I'll just ask them to install it anyway.

What could it add....30 to 60 mins to the install?

Last edited by SteveS83; 04-03-2023 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:11 AM
Bavarian 997
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

30 to 60 SECONDS if you put it on the metal tray next to the most-box.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bavarian 997:
Amge63 (04-03-2023), brudomen (04-04-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 09:56 AM
SteveS83
Instructor

Well yeah....lol
from my research it seems the A Pilar is the ideal location. Unless I missed something.

Also, the dealer just quoted me $3k installed...without the GPS. I can't justify that....
Old 04-03-2023, 12:10 PM
Mfleahy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used the cowl cover location for my GPS antenna. Others have used the tray location, but if you have (or will have) Sirius, the tray gets a little crowded. Sirius has it's own antenna too. I looked at the A-pillar, but fishing the wires from there to behind the dash was difficult for me. These steps are a bit more detailed than svandamme's excellent PCCM+ Installation Manual.

For the cowl location on the drivers (left) side:
  1. Remove the battery cover. Undo the battery clamp and shift the battery to the left (passenger side for LHD cars). You will probably have to disconnect the battery cables if you haven't already because there is not enough slack.
  2. Find the grommet in the back-of-dashboard surface. It is to the right of the battery when you are standing in the frunk.
  3. Pull it out, make a hole and feed the GPS connector through it.
  4. Inside the car, make a matching hole in the carpet/sound insulation matting. Poking something through the grommet hole helps with locating the position.
  5. Attach the GPS antenna to the surface of your choice, either the metal below the cowl cover (the GPS antenna is magnetic) or the bottom of the plastic cowl using the supplied double-sided sticky pad. I chose the cowl.
  6. Feed the GPS connector and wire through the hole in the matting. Put the grommet back in and pull through all of the slack. Route to the back of the PCCM+. Be sure to keep it away from pedals. Use zip ties as appropriate.
  7. Plug it in and dress the excess wire. Probably use a back-and-forth gather instead of a round loop, although I haven't seen actual signal strength data to confirm the need.
  8. Button everything back up.
This took me about 2 hours since I'm old. About 50% of the time was trying to get wedged under the dash and getting back out. Your mileage may vary.

I did attach the Sirius adapter cable even though I don't have Sirius, mostly just for safe keeping in case I put in the receiver. Of course, if you have the "extra" Sirius subscription package, you can use the Sirius app on your phone and play through Carplay/Android without bothering with installing another antenna under the cowl or wherever.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mfleahy:
defunct_neurons (06-29-2023), SteveS83 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 12:39 PM
SteveS83
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mfleahy
I used the cowl cover location for my GPS antenna. Others have used the tray location, but if you have (or will have) Sirius, the tray gets a little crowded. Sirius has it's own antenna too. I looked at the A-pillar, but fishing the wires from there to behind the dash was difficult for me. These steps are a bit more detailed than svandamme's excellent PCCM+ Installation Manual.

For the cowl location on the drivers (left) side:
  1. Remove the battery cover. Undo the battery clamp and shift the battery to the left (passenger side for LHD cars). You will probably have to disconnect the battery cables if you haven't already because there is not enough slack.
  2. Find the grommet in the back-of-dashboard surface. It is to the right of the battery when you are standing in the frunk.
  3. Pull it out, make a hole and feed the GPS connector through it.
  4. Inside the car, make a matching hole in the carpet/sound insulation matting. Poking something through the grommet hole helps with locating the position.
  5. Attach the GPS antenna to the surface of your choice, either the metal below the cowl cover (the GPS antenna is magnetic) or the bottom of the plastic cowl using the supplied double-sided sticky pad. I chose the cowl.
  6. Feed the GPS connector and wire through the hole in the matting. Put the grommet back in and pull through all of the slack. Route to the back of the PCCM+. Be sure to keep it away from pedals. Use zip ties as appropriate.
  7. Plug it in and dress the excess wire. Probably use a back-and-forth gather instead of a round loop, although I haven't seen actual signal strength data to confirm the need.
  8. Button everything back up.
This took me about 2 hours since I'm old. About 50% of the time was trying to get wedged under the dash and getting back out. Your mileage may vary.

I did attach the Sirius adapter cable even though I don't have Sirius, mostly just for safe keeping in case I put in the receiver. Of course, if you have the "extra" Sirius subscription package, you can use the Sirius app on your phone and play through Carplay/Android without bothering with installing another antenna under the cowl or wherever.
So 2 hours in total? That's not bad at all. That's a $750 / hr labor rate in my case!!
Old 04-03-2023, 02:42 PM
Mfleahy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, maybe a bit longer for the full install, at least the way I attempted it. Decided to try the A-pillar for the GPS first. Taking apart the A-pillar and attempting to fish the wire down was almost two hours before I gave up. You will not have to do this, so that time doesn't count. Having been suitably punished, I decided to put the GPS antenna on the shelf and do the "full" install.

The full install took a while, mostly because I had to figure stuff out from online information that was spotty at the time. Assembling the side brackets to the unit, pulling the carpet pieces and side panels (top fasteners are not fun), unplugging and replugging all of the supplied cables, including jumpering the antenna module at floor level took at least 2 hours. Since I had a nav system originally, I also removed the frunk DVD unit and jumpered the fiber loop. Done correctly, this is another 45 minutes or so. Done my way, where I dropped screws into bad places during the removal, adds another half hour. That got me a working PCCM+ with sufficient GPS signal. Plugged in the map SD card and discovered that half the country isn't there, as reported by others.

Then, rethinking the GPS receiver placement with respect to possibly installing Sirius in the future and really clogging up the shelf, I pulled the PCCM+ out (easier with the new latches when you don't use the top ones), attached the Sirius cable and then did the 2-hour GPS install in the cowl.

I'm still waiting for resolution of the map SD card. After a long discussion with the parts department at my (non-Classic) dealer, they called back and said there was a recall of the SD card and they would order a replacement. It came in and they told me to come in and they would do the exchange. A service order would have to be written up to cover the exchange. Of course, when I got there on a Saturday (They have Saturday service), no one in parts or service had a clue what was going on. They said there was "no recall for that part" and I would have to talk to the Parts Manager, who might know what was going on. I'll be there in a few days and see what happens.

Being retired, this saga has been a good time filler (waster) for me. Getting a USB stick to work for music only added to the time I will never get back.

Being retired also means that I write long, wordy replies. Sorry!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mfleahy:
brudomen (04-04-2023), MSQ (04-10-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 02:54 PM
SteveS83
Instructor

Where does the SD card get inserted? Front or rear of the unit? In other words will I need to remove the unit once the correct SD card is shipped or is it straight forward from the front?

Also, do these units need to be programmed?

My apologies if these questions have been addressed in this thread. I searched but it's just too long!! Rennlisters are too informative (in a good way!)!

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request