Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 01:08 PM
OmairK
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

I am assuming no update for 997.2/987.2 PCCM+... Some of us guys with CDR30's really want this option!
Old 03-25-2023, 04:07 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok so i opened up the unit and took some pics but i see there are 6 wires not 4. (See below) Am i missing something? I know you mention above the unit has 6, are you stating the other 2 on the left of the pic don't matter or are they just dead cables?

Last pic is the front usb.

John

Last edited by jgoga; 03-25-2023 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:12 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by medicus
I tried it with a USB hub with 12 V power supply. It works. But only with Android. Apple CarPlay says „iPod not supported“.
(Why ipod???)
But MP3 files and Android Auto work at the same time. Impeccable.
You now have to see how this affects the long-term test. Overloading could of course be a problem.

If an android wireless adapter has seperate power supply.. then it really should not be a big deal to put that + mp3 on a unpowered hub.
That will just be signals at that point.

But do not charge phones off that hub, that could be problematic
Old 03-25-2023, 06:47 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jgoga
Ok so i opened up the unit and took some pics but i see there are 6 wires not 4. (See below) Am i missing something? I know you mention above the unit has 6, are you stating the other 2 on the left of the pic don't matter or are they just dead cables?

Last pic is the front usb.

John
As I noted before, those two extra pins on the left is the braided shield of the cable that have been crimped to those pins. Some of the shield braiding was crimped to each of those pins and wrapped with black heat shrink tubing. Whether it's needed or not is up for debate. It depends on if there's enough outside RFI or electrical noise that could affect the line data. My guess is probably not but to know someone would need to try it and see. Just connect your 4 pin header cable to match up with the four pins on the right side of the 6 pin plug where the black/green/white/red wires are. On both boards, the USB ground and those two shield pins are all connected together to ground. If one has the electronics tools and experience to terminate USB cables with a proper connector, it's just another wire, but I'm assuming most here don't, so thus the option to just buy stuff that's already made to plug together, of which almost everything premade out there is 4 pin.

The following users liked this post:
myw (03-27-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 07:38 PM
vudores
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
For those of us that want to have the rear USB for CarPlay but don't want to tackle the same amount of wiring that is required above, I'm thinking an option may be to buy one of the connectors shown above with a female USB, disconnect the current cable that runs to the front of the PCCM and just tie it off in the unit somewhere. This will make the front USB non-operational, completely. Then, run the USB mentioned above out the back of the unit where you can then have a standard cable connected in. This will give you CarPlay, but coming out of the rear of the unit. While having the front USB non-operational is not ideal, I think this would be the simplest approach and would be completely reversible. I'm going to wait a month before I install mine, so if anyone has any other thoughts in the meantime, I'll be watching this thread.
i had gotten daunted by the two port operational method, but this is totally totally doable. I’m also going to go this route. Is opening the unit up pretty self explanatory? Did I miss a post on it? Granted I have several months until mine will be here. :/
Old 03-25-2023, 07:44 PM
Steve W
Racer

So to make it simple, unless you make your own cables, and ok without the extra shielding, just buy the following stuff out there and plug it together:

Get the male and female USB version of each:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=zrPFMsg8oJES

Plug this female cable onto the main board socket and this will be your CarPlay/AA port. I think the cable color order is backwards, or it's the picture, so unpin the wires and rearrange in the correct color order as necessary to match the original cable.:

Next take the male USB cable and plug the small white connector onto the other socket (behind the PCCM front USB socket). Make sure plug into the connector so the red/white/green/black wires match in sequence with the original header cable, in the picture the wire colors are backwards so you'll probably need to unpin and rearrange. There's usually a tiny nub on the underside of the plastic connector that you'll need to shave off with a razor so it keys into the 6pin socket correctly. Compare the ends of the four pin and 6 pin connectors to see the differences:

And also get his Subaru connector, and plug the above male USB into the female end of the Subaru connector, Make sure all the wire colors in the connector match up with the USB port in the PCCM unit, or rearrange if needed:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=YJ3LTr5B7v6A

Then get this 10 pin Android connector, and unpin and remove all wires, except the pink one:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=AY945fALPn9R

Use this 10 pin plug to plug into the 10 pin PCCM port, and jump the pink wire to the red wire of the Subaru connector to provide 5v to the USB port, from the 10 pin port of Plug Connection B pin 30 as per previous posts. If you install a rear cam, repurpose the yellow RCA video cable to replace the Fakra rear camera video cable from the PCCM kit, Plug Connection B pins 9 and 10, so you don't need to get a Fakra to RCA adapter.. You can use the other wires for the camera trigger in Plug Connection B pin 6.

Yes in the end there's a lot of excess cabling in and out of the unit for the second USB port, but if it works who cares if it's all hidden behind the console.

Last edited by Steve W; 03-25-2023 at 08:02 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Steve W:
b8_rdc (05-11-2023), Bavarian 997 (03-26-2023), myw (03-27-2023), signde (04-04-2023), thejawn (03-28-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 07:58 PM
Steve W
Racer

Originally Posted by vudores
i had gotten daunted by the two port operational method, but this is totally totally doable. I’m also going to go this route. Is opening the unit up pretty self explanatory? Did I miss a post on it? Granted I have several months until mine will be here. :/

It's one screw, and an inspection (maybe warranty) sticker you're going to break. If you're good with that.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:01 PM
vudores
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve W
It's one screw, and an inspection (maybe warranty) sticker you're going to break. If you're good with that.
definitely ok with that! Thanks for the write up!
Old 03-25-2023, 08:33 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

So to make it simple, unless you make your own cables, and ok without the extra shielding, just buy the following stuff out there and plug it together:

Plug this female cable onto the main board socket and this will be your CarPlay/AA port. I think the cable color order is backwards, or it's the picture, so unpin the wires and rearrange in the correct color order as necessary to match the original cable.:

Next take the male USB cable and plug the small white connector onto the other socket (behind the PCCM front USB socket). Make sure plug into the connector so the red/white/green/black wires match in sequence with the original header cable, in the picture the wire colors are backwards so you'll probably need to unpin and rearrange. There's usually a tiny nub on the underside of the plastic connector that you'll need to shave off with a razor so it keys into the 6pin socket correctly. Compare the ends of the four pin and 6 pin connectors to see the differences:

And also get his Subaru connector, and plug the above male USB into the female end of the Subaru connector, Make sure all the wire colors in the connector match up with the USB port in the PCCM unit, or rearrange if needed:

Then get this 10 pin Android connector, and unpin and remove all wires, except the pink one:

Use this 10 pin plug to plug into the 10 pin PCCM port, and jump the pink wire to the red wire of the Subaru connector to provide 5v to the USB port, from the 10 pin port of Plug Connection B pin 30 as per previous posts. If you install a rear cam, repurpose the yellow RCA video cable to replace the Fakra rear camera video cable from the PCCM kit, Plug Connection B pins 9 and 10, so you don't need to get a Fakra to RCA adapter.. You can use the other wires for the camera trigger in Plug Connection B pin 6.

Yes in the end there's a lot of excess cabling in and out of the unit for the second USB port, but if it works who cares if it's all hidden behind the console.
Thank you for all your help on this.....No camera for me. Ok, so use the 10 pin plug (pull most other wires out except pink) then take the pink one to jump the subaru cable....does this pink one go into subaru #1?

Old 03-26-2023, 11:49 AM
Bavarian 997
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this cable fit after repinning? Comes in 0.5 m and 1.0m

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-27-2023, 01:56 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

That USB add diagram is not the same as what has been previously posted. Pin 1 in your diagram is supposed to be the ground and the Pin 2 is supposed to carry the voltage.
Old 03-27-2023, 02:34 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bxstrCA
That USB add diagram is not the same as what has been previously posted. Pin 1 in your diagram is supposed to be the ground and the Pin 2 is supposed to carry the voltage.
I found this further up posted here by: svandamme

However in thus post position #2 says it's positive: Position 2 positive...

Can someone confirm if Pin 1 and Pin 2 need to be reversed? Or is the diagram below accurate?

John

Last edited by jgoga; 03-27-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:20 PM
snowtx1
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So in my neverending quest to replace the aftermarket head unit with a new PCCM, I've now found out that in addition to cutting all of the plugs off when the took out the old unit, they also ripped out the Bose amp. Anyone have any suggestions besides ebay where I might source one of these? Thx.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:32 AM
Jedi767
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

For moving the CarPlay USB to the back, is anyone able to put together a step-by-step for dummies? Maybe it's too late in the night, but that last post just flew over my head.

Is it possible to buy all these parts elsewhere? AliExpress is giving me a May delivery date... Would love to try this mod out this weekend.
The following users liked this post:
Amge63 (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 07:00 AM
notabenex
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for detailed explanation! I just ordered the unit for my 997.1 turbo.
I am planning to use wireless AA box
Amazon Amazon
(I am using the same one in my 21' E63S)
So for relocating front USB to the rear/outside the unit and not using it anymore (have wireless charger) is it possible to use only this cable? Then removing oem connector from the unit and using this cable with OEM connector (4>6pins while 2 will not be used) https://www.aliexpress.us/item/10050...apt=4itemAdapt

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request