Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 11:41 AM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Received a yellow block ISO 6 pin connector to RCA out, to use to get line level outs to my aftermarket amp. No joy. On the bench, there is no discernible signal out from any of the outs. I need to send 4 channels out (2 Rear 2 Front) to my amp and it doesn't appear I am able to do that with this unit. Is there a setting that may need to be activated (that any android experienced users may have seen)?
Old 03-29-2023, 02:59 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Steve W;18706912]So to make it simple, unless you make your own cables, and ok without the extra shielding, just buy the following stuff out there and plug it together:

Get the male and female USB version of each:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=zrPFMsg8oJES

Plug this female cable onto the main board socket and this will be your CarPlay/AA port. I think the cable color order is backwards, or it's the picture, so unpin the wires and rearrange in the correct color order as necessary to match the original cable.:

Next take the male USB cable and plug the small white connector onto the other socket (behind the PCCM front USB socket). Make sure plug into the connector so the red/white/green/black wires match in sequence with the original header cable, in the picture the wire colors are backwards so you'll probably need to unpin and rearrange. There's usually a tiny nub on the underside of the plastic connector that you'll need to shave off with a razor so it keys into the 6pin socket correctly. Compare the ends of the four pin and 6 pin connectors to see the differences:

I can't order this cable via the AliExpress link. Can any of you help me with that?
Old 03-29-2023, 05:44 PM
Bavarian 997
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote=medicus;18714191]
Originally Posted by Steve W
So to make it simple, unless you make your own cables, and ok without the extra shielding, just buy the following stuff out there and plug it together:

Get the male and female USB version of each:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=zrPFMsg8oJES

Plug this female cable onto the main board socket and this will be your CarPlay/AA port. I think the cable color order is backwards, or it's the picture, so unpin the wires and rearrange in the correct color order as necessary to match the original cable.:

Next take the male USB cable and plug the small white connector onto the other socket (behind the PCCM front USB socket). Make sure plug into the connector so the red/white/green/black wires match in sequence with the original header cable, in the picture the wire colors are backwards so you'll probably need to unpin and rearrange. There's usually a tiny nub on the underside of the plastic connector that you'll need to shave off with a razor so it keys into the 6pin socket correctly. Compare the ends of the four pin and 6 pin connectors to see the differences:

I can't order this cable via the AliExpress link. Can any of you help me with that?

Maybe this one? Not sure about it. Link:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Bavarian 997; 03-29-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:52 PM
thejawn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I need a second fiber loop if I want to remove both the CD Changer and the DVD Nav after installing my PCCM+?
Old 03-29-2023, 10:18 PM
Jedi767
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi767
For moving the CarPlay USB to the back, is anyone able to put together a step-by-step for dummies? Maybe it's too late in the night, but that last post just flew over my head.

Is it possible to buy all these parts elsewhere? AliExpress is giving me a May delivery date... Would love to try this mod out this weekend.
Does anyone know where I can get this stuff domestically? Are you all really ordering on AliExpress with multi-month waits?
Old 03-30-2023, 10:39 AM
dmrose76
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

I did order the four cables from Aliexpress. Worked out to two shipments. Both originally May 25, but one has already quickened to Apr 20. I expect they may quicken further. I am still on back order for the PCCM+, so no hurry (Gaudin shows in stock but trying to save a couple hundred by buying elsewhere).

Although I’m not keen on installing PCCM+ twice, I will likely install it ‘as is’ first and get it all set up and checked working properly (especially Apple Carplay) for a period of time before I void the warranty by opening up and applying the USB swap mod. As these Aliexpress cables are not shielded, I don’t know how I could determine if using them degrades performance without first understanding how the PCCM+ works with original cables.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:17 AM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jedi767
Does anyone know where I can get this stuff domestically? Are you all really ordering on AliExpress with multi-month waits?
I hear ya. Unfortunately, even Walmart (online) , Amazon and eBay all peddle wares from China so shipping time is similar. It is coming quicker than the stated time and order more than one (they're cheap enough) in case you mess it up.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:01 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I RMA'ed my map SD card last week, and the replacement showed in the mail today. I can confirm that the new SD card works in WA state. Gaudin handled the RMA great.

Oh one more thing. I also noticed like others that, with the faulty card, using GPS to set the time would result in UTC time instead of the local TZ. I suspected that was the fault of the map card - it couldn't display my WA maps so it probably didn't have the TZ info too. I didn't change my TZ in the android control panel, and decided to wait for the replacement card. The new card enables the unit to set the right TZ automatically.

Last edited by funcars; 03-30-2023 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:09 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,097 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Agreed regarding Gaudin, they were excellent to work with. Handled the SD card swap seamlessly.

Regarding the USB and relocating to the back of the unit, I think I’ve come to the realization that until someone on here wants to start a side business of making the six pin cable (which may never happen) or starts doing the conversion to the back of the unit as a service, I may just leave mine on the front of the unit. However if there’s true step by step instructions at some point for it, then maybe I’d give it a try. Just not confident enough in my abilities to do this until there’s a step by step guide with all parts that are known to work.

Hoping to install my unit in April as I just got my car out of storage. Thanks to everyone for the helpful info that will hopefully make the install easy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
Amge63 (03-31-2023), Jedi767 (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 09:05 AM
diceman725
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Agreed regarding Gaudin, they were excellent to work with. Handled the SD card swap seamlessly.
Nice. Suncoast punted the SD card problem to local dealers, so I just contacted mine to see if I can get replacement through them. Glad to hear these new cards work.
Old 03-31-2023, 11:12 AM
maiko
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Wish I read this before I installed my PCCM+ unit. This is exactly what happened to my top right bracket. It would not push in so I could remove it. I finally used a short screwdriver to force it in which only bent the bracket screwed into the front of PCCM+ shown in the part of the photo circled in red which I bent back into place. To me there are too many small pieces in the bracket assembly that can go out of alignment.
This should be added to the DIY sticky. When installing the brackets, make sure the top locking tabs are on the INSIDE of the stops on the unit. If they are on the OUTSIDE, the locking tabs cannot be pushed in for removal. The unit will still go into the dash, but it cannot come out without bending the stop (firm push with screwdriver). Learned this this hard way.

Last edited by maiko; 03-31-2023 at 11:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by maiko:
defunct_neurons (06-29-2023), svandamme (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 12:25 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

I removed those off my PCCM, they are annoying and serve little purpose.
When installed the bottom clamp works just fine
and the side cheeks of the console keep it all snug
Old 04-01-2023, 09:59 AM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Can someone confirm: is this unit a 4 channel unit or 2 channel? This entire thread only mentions 2 channels coming from the 12 pin section and it appears that the standard yellow connector section of the ISO C1 connector has no output signal. They managed to design this as 2/10 difficultly when removing factory setups and ignoring aftermarket setups ... many owners have cars that PO's have made audio changes to.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:10 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bxstrCA
Can someone confirm: is this unit a 4 channel unit or 2 channel? This entire thread only mentions 2 channels coming from the 12 pin section and it appears that the standard yellow connector section of the ISO C1 connector has no output signal. They managed to design this as 2/10 difficultly when removing factory setups and ignoring aftermarket setups ... many owners have cars that PO's have made audio changes to.
Try going to CAR > Settings > Volume (hold for 10-15 sec). Change from CAN to AMP mode.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:17 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,097 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Originally Posted by diceman725
Nice. Suncoast punted the SD card problem to local dealers, so I just contacted mine to see if I can get replacement through them. Glad to hear these new cards work.
That is unfortunate. I was concerned that Gaudin would do the same, but they were happy to send a pre-paid label and ship out the new card. When I originally inquired about the unit at my dealer, they had no idea what I was talking about and didn't seem as interested to look into when they'd be receiving them. Hence I ordered from Gaudin. I didn't feel right having my dealer handle the swap when I originally purchased from Gaudin, I wanted one place to go to in order to handle this.

Originally Posted by maiko
This should be added to the DIY sticky. When installing the brackets, make sure the top locking tabs are on the INSIDE of the stops on the unit. If they are on the OUTSIDE, the locking tabs cannot be pushed in for removal. The unit will still go into the dash, but it cannot come out without bending the stop (firm push with screwdriver). Learned this this hard way.

Do you have a pic of how it's supposed to look? Thanks for posting and making us aware.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request