Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 07:16 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

congrats your pcm reverse signal is 100% working - was it not working before? what is it being connected to? the other pink cable coming out of the canbus?

has the reverse camera been plugged into the proper input input? it needs to be plugged into the single VIDEO RCA input plug on the same harness as as the pink reverse trigger going into the HU. there should be no other RCA plugs on this harness. of cousre the camera itself needs to be spliced/plugged into the appropriate+ proper ground/power.

Originally Posted by 911's

i get this sign on the screen when i shift into reverse, so that means reverse trigger is working properly but no camera

Last edited by myw; 07-13-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:17 AM
Barry987
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi

Genius Went into factory settings reverse was disabled, enabled it. Tried reverse with pink wires joined, nothing. Put +12v on pink HU input result., camera works a treat. I have a WiFi camera with no trigger so I have to replace the sender and receiver with a trigger type. But I am very happy, it's a pity OWtosin didn't give me this information after a week of to and fro messaging blaming me and or the camera.
many thanks

Barry
The following 3 users liked this post by Barry987:
myw (07-14-2021), Pedro Lopes (05-08-2022), scadams (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 09:51 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

PERFECT!!! - I'm glad you are up and running.

this is a group effort - i have been working alongside acr89 + another gent in the EU on the fb retrofit modification forum in efforts to get all issues for this (these type of android units) sorted out. when i found out about this deck, i figured despite being a generic china android box, there were enough guys here in the know where we could pretty much be our own tech support.

my Fb retroFit post is a little more detailed then the above, and it is pretty much a install/trouble shooting manual.

This way those who dont feel qualified to tackle the install can just print it, and then drop everything off at pro shop to install, it should pretty much cover EVERYTHING.

Originally Posted by Barry987
Hi

Genius Went into factory settings reverse was disabled, enabled it. Tried reverse with pink wires joined, nothing. Put +12v on pink HU input result., camera works a treat. I have a WiFi camera with no trigger so I have to replace the sender and receiver with a trigger type. But I am very happy, it's a pity OWtosin didn't give me this information after a week of to and fro messaging blaming me and or the camera.
many thanks

Barry

Last edited by myw; 07-14-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:17 AM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

Mine worked fine out-of-the-box on my 997.2.

Also ​@myw you’ve been awesome at troubleshooting this for everyone that’s had issues. This is the kinda stuff I love about this forum. Everyone helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by scadams:
marshy19 (02-17-2023), myw (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 11:36 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

thank you man - much appreciated.

ps - you are one lucky b@$t@rd for it to work plug + play

Originally Posted by scadams
Mine worked fine out-of-the-box on my 997.2.

Also ​@myw you’ve been awesome at troubleshooting this for everyone that’s had issues. This is the kinda stuff I love about this forum. Everyone helps.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:25 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw;[url=tel:17549189
17549189[/url]]thank you man - much appreciated.

ps - you are one lucky b@$t@rd for it to work plug + play
My only real complaint is ZLINK for Apple Carplay occasionally starts automatically even though I have it disabled. And in order to update it I’d have to root the rom which I’d rather not mess with.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:21 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

i will try to help figure this out with you in due time.

I have had a similar system in my daily lexus for a while (similar to the joyAuto 997.2/991.1 android/carplay retrofit using the oem pcm), which helped me get up to speed with everything. my lexus apple carplay (Zlink) connection was hit and miss but eventually i was able to get it under control.

My only real complaint is ZLINK for Apple Carplay occasionally starts automatically even though I have it disabled. And in order to update it I’d have to root the rom which I’d rather not mess with.
The following users liked this post:
scadams (07-14-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 12:49 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

what about turning the bluetooth on your phone off?
Old 07-25-2021, 12:59 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

i got the reverse cable to work without issues.

close to the reverse camera itself there is a RED + BLACK wire that needs to be spliced.
- the RED is the reverse trigger 12v+ signal itself. This should be sliced into the passenger light tailLight harness BLACK + BLUE wire. The driver side taillight harness has the exact same wire as well.
- the BLACK wire is just the ground. Splice this into the THICK BROWN wire in the passenger light harness

Behind the taillight there is a grommet (containing wires) you have to pull - from there there is a much larger grommet that is unreachable that needs to be drilled thru so that the reverse camera cable can be fished into the cabin (many youtube videos and previous RL threads to explain this).

After getting the cable up into the cabin
- plug the yellow VIDEO output Cable of the reverse cam into the yellow RCA input of the pX6 labeled 'CAM or CAMERA' (this should be attached to the harness that the canBus adapter is plugged into, not the giant plethora of RCA cables)
- take the red wire that is attached to the reverse cams YELLOW rca output cable and splice it into the pink px6 cable called REVERSE.

It this does not work your unit or camera is defective. But based on what i am seeing it will work on the first try.

I installed this on multiple cars this weekend. No issues, but I had trouble shooted everything before hand carefully.

Originally Posted by 911's

i get this sign on the screen when i shift into reverse, so that means reverse trigger is working properly but no camera
Old 07-25-2021, 01:19 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw;[url=tel:17569344
17569344[/url]]what about turning the bluetooth on your phone off?
Because my iPhone still BT connects to the headunit for calls, sync, and BT audio.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:27 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

got it - what app do you use for phone calls + contact link sync? I have not been able to figure this out yet.

Because my iPhone still BT connects to the headunit for calls, sync, and BT audio.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:12 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw;[url=tel:17569424
17569424[/url]]got it - what app do you use for phone calls + contact link sync? I have not been able to figure this out yet.
It just connect to the CAR-KIT Bluetooth name on the headunit.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:03 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Default some loose ends i've noticed b4 installing the final bits of this unit.

This is amazing to know - i will attempt the same. Does anyone else find these aftermarket GPS pucks are borderline crap, they seem to cut in + out of reception. I have this issue for my android device in my lexus as well, but this owTownsin 997 gps connectivity is much, much far worse. If the oem gps puck plugs into our px6 that will have to help re gps reception

Originally Posted by AndyJ
The car's existing GPS arial DOES work for my Xtrons unit.

nope , your MF wheel is working perfectly fine. the canBus programming is wrong. I've confirmed this with with a few cars worldwide - that these 2 exact buttons never map.

Originally Posted by dLat
the two buttons that dont work are
1. downpress on the right wheel
2. back button on the right multifunction key

i think.. sadly.. my used macan steering wheel may have the above two keys defective.

I believe that on top of the 2 steering wheel buttons not working + the reverse trigger also not working, the RDS info not showing up on the main gauge cluster is yet another canBus error. My theory is that this effects the owTowsin canBus UNIT ONLY. this thread started in 2019 - and back in those days ppl were buying the NaviFly unit. the Navifly + canBus is a diff canBus decoder where the RDS does work.

Originally Posted by AndyJ
The CanBus controls for lights and power are correctly decoded by my included CanBus adapter so these work fine. However I do not get radio station display in my instrument cluster or temperature display in the HU status bar (which I assume comes from CanBus?) so I'm assuming that my unit is not properly decoding CanBus. I have Porsche (Bagoo) selected as my CanBus adapter in factory settings but I see no CanBus data using "logcan".

This isn't a big deal for me but it niggles that they don't work when they apparently work fine on other cars.

which FM antenna are u plugging ur px6 into? the black or the curry(yellow cable). the OEM pcm system uses both antennas, when i tested both the black one definitely works better. are your power + ground wire taps perfectly clean + shielded with ample amounts of electrical tape?
EDIT my package was incorrectly shipped a single fakra antenna adapter only - we need the dual one. Buy this may help https://www.ebay.com/itm/19227880619...8AAOSw7H1Zk6ur

Originally Posted by Muuhaha
I fixed all my previous issues except the alternator whine. It ONLY happens during use of the FM radio, not when I use Bluetooth, Spotify, etc - - any leads on what this could be? Thanks!

since you know the exact power cable the px6 harness is taping into for power (yellow cable in harness) - you can splice a basic on/off toggle switch into that yellow cable, and route that hidden somewhere into the center console. This will 100% cut the power of the PX6, forcing a hard reset to your liking.

Originally Posted by dLat
IF ANYONE knows how to add a VIRTUAL RESTART BUTTON that works with our px6 rockchip head unit, you are a god send!

@acr89 was able to figure out how to install the front camera without removing the front bumper. Just a bit of drilling will be required in a nonVisible area (ideally in the center ducting and not in the bumper itself). I'll give it a go.

Originally Posted by AitchUK
Also installed front & rear cameras. I needed to seek professional help with removing the front bumper and with routing the rear camera's cabling which is not easy on the turbo.

Last edited by myw; 07-26-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:11 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

ty!

It just connect to the CAR-KIT Bluetooth name on the headunit.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:13 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

did you end up doing the screen swap? did it come with instructions?

this would confirm that the bezel is detachable for paint. ty in advance

Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon
I hope it isn't "china car audio". I've been talking to them for months about how crap my touchscreen is. Eventually they relented and agreed to send a replacement screen rather than a new unit, so I will have to work out how to take it all apart and fit myself.
they agreed to send over a month ago. Still haven't sent it amd every time I try to ask them they make out that I'm being inpatient ... despite telling them that I need to know at least roughly when it will arrive as I will be moving house in the new year so I need to know if I will give them the new address or not.
They don't seem to understand.

It's a bit of a joke.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!