Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 01:12 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,222 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
perfect - i was going to say there is a gps readout in the menu somewhere.
Couple quick q's:
1) What launcher do you prefer?
2) how to disable the auto Carplay connection - even when disabling "Zlink" or whatever it is the unit still relaunches Carplay on its own?
Old 02-23-2023, 02:46 PM
Bomba
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Seriously torn on between the PCCM+ and this unit.

What's killing me about the PCCM+ unit is the fact that you need to use the face mounted USB for Carplay. I absolutely hate this, but I love the OEM trip computed integration....

I've decided that I don't care about the backup camera and can live with the fader issues on this unit.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:56 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bomba

What's killing me about the PCCM+ unit is the fact that you need to use the face mounted USB for Carplay. I absolutely hate this, but I love the OEM trip computed integration....

I've decided that I don't care about the backup camera and can live with the fader issues on this unit.
when you put them side by side there's no comparison. Its like an iPhone 3 vs iPhone 14
The following users liked this post:
myw (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 05:19 PM
CWNE
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all - got my unit earlier this week and did about 75% of the install today.

Pretty simple, I had to get my head out of my butt a little bit since it had been a minute since I screwed with car audio but I managed. The MOST powered up just fine after proper soldering as the directions indicate. Had a little issue getting the RCAs hooked up correctly to actually get sound but sorted that as well. It was user error.

I've got to get into the customization. I mean wow, I was blown away and its going to take some time to make this my own but I guess that's the whole point, right? Android Auto hooked up no problem and the audio quality was perhaps predictably even better than just over Bluetooth.

Left to do:

Wire/mount GPS puck
Wire/mount microphone
Wire/mount 4G - this one I don't know, I likely wont have this on its own plan/SIM so maybe not.
Put the whole thing back together

One question - with the MOST adapter having two inputs do we lose the front to rear signals? Meaning you pick front L/R or rear L/R but you can't have both?
myw (02-25-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 05:48 PM
Bomba
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
when you put them side by side there's no comparison. Its like an iPhone 3 vs iPhone 14
I assume the android unit is the better one?
Old 02-24-2023, 10:38 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I assume the android unit is the better one?
Actually they are both Android. The Porsche PCCM+ is an older Android hardware unit with older Android 6 operating system is what I have gathered. The Owtosin unit is one of the most contemporary Android hardware unit with the latest Android 12 operating system. Its no brainer to me to spend 1/4 the money to get the Owtosin vs paying 4x to get the "Porsche" unit. The Porsche PCCM+ also blocks most of the Android functions. Both units are essentially Android tablets but you can use the tablet functions of the Owtosin but they are blocked on the PCCM+
myw (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 08:47 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

Couple quick q's:
1) What launcher do you prefer?
2) how to disable the auto Carplay connection - even when disabling "Zlink" or whatever it is the unit still relaunches Carplay on its own?
I am using both carWebGuru + vividLauncher

in the secret menu - there a an option to say CarPlay not installed - it will disable the zLink (carplay/aa) app.

join the fb group - 997 retrofit + modifications

i have multiple threads there with many videos of the unit in action, showing both launchers. With that said carWebGuru has like 20 diff skins even on the free nonPaid mode.
eclou (02-27-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 08:50 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Having a backup camera on this car is huge imho. It’s like going from an iPhone14 to a starTac ….. Can’t go back - same goes with having a front parking camera as well.

the fader is one of those things that’s set once …. And never again. Not a huge deal imho.
nt8386 (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 11:21 AM
nt8386
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation service request

Hi all,
my first post
I hope this is the correct place to ask.
Is there someone in the San Diego/Orange country (SoCal) that will provide this service?
Thank you!

Last edited by nt8386; 02-25-2023 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-26-2023, 06:22 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got the front camera installed and working. It looks awesome at highway speeds! Is there capability for the Owtosin to record the video feed? The resolution is good enough for use as track footage
myw (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 06:53 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

I got the front camera installed and working. It looks awesome at highway speeds! Is there capability for the Owtosin to record the video feed? The resolution is good enough for use as track footage
nope - so far there is no android app that reads and records the analog rca video inputs. The only way to record is via the smart dash cam unit that has its own miniSd recording infrastructure.

with that said - i would google and search for an app. There is very likely one for android - and if u have 128gb of memory u can easily designate 64gb to record the high quality 720p feed

Last edited by myw; 02-26-2023 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:55 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Don’t forget to map the fcam app to the *car* button and on your MF steering wheel too
Old 02-26-2023, 10:29 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

@eclou @CWNE

guys if you can pls - post some photos of the android PCM in your lovely cars!
Old 02-26-2023, 10:42 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

myw (02-27-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 11:26 PM
CWNE
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow-up to my last post on the latest Otowsin Android unit from Michael Wong. Perhaps its a compliment to the design, but this is NOT the PCCM+. Want to make that clear.
Got the unit installed and wired up. My impressions so far below ...
Install:
-Connections were a breeze and other than 3 splices (as instructed) it was plug and play.
-Fitment is good, not perfect. I followed Michaels suggestion from the Rennlist post about using a bit of double sided tape and foam to snug the unit up both right to left and top to bottom. Essentially it has too much play in the dash so you need to eliminate that.
-I also removed the stainless guide brackets on the side of the unit (2 screws each - super easy) and replaced them with the larger ones included with the head unit. When I put the larger ones on I moved the guide to the position towards the screen of the head unit as this gives better support.
-Color on the trim match is like 97% correct. Not perfect, but quite close.
-If you look very close, the set screw that holds the unit in on the right side of the unit is pushing it EVER so slightly to the left. I may trying to tweak this, depends on how bad my OCD gets.
Experience using it thus far:
-Sound is quite good. Far better than stock. Very happy there.
-OS is snappy and 100% stock android. VERY customizable but the flip side is that it will take you some time to get it just the way you want it. Not everyone likes that. I do!
-Android Auto hooks up like it should, no issues connecting or auto connecting
-The LED lights on the physical buttons are customizable and I haven't taken the time to match them perfect. So don't hate. I know it's not perfect.
-One pic is of Android Auto running, the other is NOVA launcher which I've installed as the default. I will set a cool OEM looking wallpaper when time allows.
Good buy or bad buy?
So far, so good! I'm digging the aesthetic and it really does look fantastic in the dash.
Any questions please don't hesitate - I will continue to experiment!
Big thanks to Michael Wong for being extremely responsive to my dumb noob questions

The following 3 users liked this post by CWNE:
Graufuchs (02-27-2023), myw (02-27-2023), WCO (03-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!